2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

At least Richmond have picked a really good draft year to bottom out, but surely they would want to move some of he picks about?
I’m not going to pretend I know what they will do. But I would question why they would want picks next year.

They will be bottom again. Get 12 months in these kids now!

I just want Murphy Reid and I’ll be happy.
One of those players who could go anywhere from 1-7.

Some clubs genuinely think he is #1 pick good.

He scares the crap out of me purely on physical/athletic traits.

This draft is almost impossible to get a majority order up to our first pick.

I’m not going to pretend I know what they will do. But I would question why they would want picks next year.

They will be bottom again. Get 12 months in these kids now!
Agree. That’s why we should load up as much as we can this year as well.. Trade next year’s first round pick, trade existing players if they want to leave and package the picks to get another a first round pick. Imagine having 5 first round picks.

Pick 7 - our own
Pick 14- split pick 8 (battle compo)
Pick 22 - split pick 8 (battle compo)
Pick 18 - trade our next year’s 1st
Pick 20 - package up picks we might get for Membrey, Hayes, Paton, Howard and our existing 2nd round pick (pick 24)

This way we can have up to 5 first round picks which is massive and probably on par with Richmond.. Obviously not going to be easy, may end up with fewer 1st round and more 2nd round picks which should be ok too.

Imagine we end up with:
  • Lalor (mid)
  • Langford (mid)
  • Hotton (mid-forward)
  • Hynes (mid-forward)
  • Hodson (ruck)
  • Cole (key back)
  • Peckett (mid)
  • Hoffman (hb)

Last edited:

Agree. That’s why we should load up as much as we can this year as well.. Trade next year’s first round pick, trade existing players if they want to leave and package the picks to get another a first round pick. Imagine having 5 first round picks.

Pick 7 - our own
Pick 20 - package up picks we might get for Membrey, Hayes, Paton, Howard and our existing 2nd round pick (pick 24)

This way we can have up to 5 first round picks which is massive and probably on par with Richmond.. Obviously not going to be easy, may end up with fewer 1st round and more 2nd round picks which should be ok too.

Imagine we end up with:
  • Lalor (mid)
  • Langford (mid)
  • Hotton (mid-forward)
  • Hynes (mid-forward)
  • Hodson (ruck)
  • Cole (key back)
  • Peckett (mid)
  • Hoffman (hb)
I agree with the idea.

Would want a better return then your execution

Last year we got a second rounder to move back 1 pick. Your proposing we move back 6 picks

He is an interesting player who plays the game at 3/4 speed but that lack of speed on the game doesnt reduce his impact on games. Basically he plays the game in slow motion ala Pendlebury. His ability to find space and a team mate with ball in hand are the best in this years draft group. He does step on the gas more when it comes to chasing and tackling, but otherwise he is happy to play the game at a trot.

He is a unique player, but there is not doubt he is a top 5 midfielder. Kudos to gringo2011 who highlighted his games from the championships when not many others knew much about him.

Last edited:

Pick 7 - our own

Imagine we end up with:
  • Lalor (mid)
  • Langford (mid)
  • Hotton (mid-forward)
  • Hynes (mid-forward)
  • Hodson (ruck)
  • Cole (key back)
  • Peckett (mid)
  • Hoffman (hb)
Are we confident that we will receive a Round 1 pick compo for Battle.?

Seems like its a consensus that we like literally EVERY player in the 8-15 range. Travaglia, Hotton, Berry, Lindsay, Hynes, Allan

Must split pick 8 if none of the top mids slip down

Who would want to do that? I reckon in a draft with less stand out talent but a huge pool, you want more bites at the cherry.

U18s

J.Smith 24D 1.0
J.Smillie 26D 2.1
M.Reid 32D 3.0
L.Trainor 19D
H.Armstrong 16D 4.1
T.Gross 19D
J.Dattoli 35D 1.1

STK
S.Linder 22D
L.Hofmann 19D
A.Cole 5D
L.Voss 27D (key defender played a game for Sandy VFL)

Reid just wants us to take him dude. Voss looks a good project

someone said his speed was an issue.. don't see it! honestly think he'd have gone before clark/coff in that draft year, this year looks really good

The metro v country game is the showpiece of the champs. Without the All Stars match in the draft year it’s the premier match up. He was absolutely brilliant in it. Travaglia too. I put a really high value on that. Big game BDE.

Pick 7 - our own

Imagine we end up with:
  • Lalor (mid)
  • Langford (mid)
  • Hotton (mid-forward)
  • Hynes (mid-forward)
  • Hodson (ruck)
  • Cole (key back)
  • Peckett (mid)
  • Hoffman (hb)

Sadly I think only one of Lalor or Langford will be available if we split.

Between the two it’s tricky,

Lalor seems to have a higher upside since he had been a multiple sport athlete and will then concentrate solely on his footy development. Also has that fast twitch type about him. Probably fits our needs better.

Langford has made himself undeniable as a top 5-10 talent on consistency, effort and ability improvement.

Love both of them and if we do only get the opportunity for one it will be a very tough call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would want to do that? I reckon in a draft with less stand out talent but a huge pool, you want more bites at the cherry.
A club that has needs. Doesn’t matter the state of the draft, clubs will always have needs and be willing to trade up. Specific clubs will become clearer after trade period

For me ... and probably for lot of others .... the outlier in the draft ladder for teams below us is North ... and what they do ... as it should shape what is to come?

We know Tigers will probably take Jagga or O'Sullivan and West Coast will probably be all over whoever the Tigers don't take or Draper .... Adelaide probably keen on Draper being from SA.

Now North don't necessarily need another mid having taken Wardlaw Sheezel McKercher in recent drafts and having LDU .... though maybe they do ... we do know they need key backs but Trainor at pick 2 is a fair reach .... some have pointed out that they may choose to slide down the draft order and give up 2 but they may not be able to get in front of Dees or Suns ... or moerso Dees if they get the Suns 1st pick (which of course they might trade up to get the North 2 pick)

Now ... Melbourne & Gold Coast?

Melbourne ... key position player or mid? ....... with May (33 in Jan) & Lever (29 in March) ... do they look at Trainor as a key back replacement?? Which could spook North if they cough up pick 2 and trade back (ie: the Suns pick which Tigers could get) and then they are behind the Dees in the pick order

Gold Coast ... who the fk knows .... we know they will get Lombard but with him added they now have mids coming out of their sunny sphincter .... do they go tall? ... but they are well stocked there as well ... maybe they look at Travaglia as a tall running HB or maybe they don't have the pick at all ... traded to Tigers for Rioli

Decisions ... decisions :think:

Last edited:
For me ... and probably for lot of others .... the outlier in the draft ladder for teams below us is North ... and what they do ... as it should shape what is to come?

We know Tigers will probably take Jagga or O'Sullivan and West Coast will probably be all over whoever the Tigers don't take or Draper .... Adelaide probably keen on Draper being from SA.

Now North don't necessarily need another mid having taken Wardlaw Sheezel McKercher in recent drafts and having LDU .... though maybe they do ... we do know they need key backs but Trainor at pick 2 is a fair reach .... some have pointed out that they may choose to slide down the draft order and give up 2 but they may not be able to get in front of Dees or Suns ... or moerso Dees if they get the Suns 1st pick (which of course they might trade up to get the North 2 pick)

Now ... Melbourne & Gold Coast?

Melbourne ... key position player or mid? ....... with May (33 in Jan) & Lever (29 in March) ... do they look at Trainor as a key back replacement?? Which could spook North if they cough up pick 2 and trade back (ie: the Suns pick which Tigers could get) and then they are behind the Dees in the pick order

Gold Coast ... who the fk knows .... we know they will get Lombard but with him added they now have mids coming out of their sunny sphincter .... do they go tall? ... but they are well stocked there as well ... maybe they look at Travaglia as a tall running HB or maybe they don't have the pick at all ... traded to Tigers for Rioli

Decisions ... decisions :think:
You’d think Trainor might suits the Suns. Maybe Lalor

Pick 7 - our own

Imagine we end up with:
  • Lalor (mid)
  • Langford (mid)
  • Hotton (mid-forward)
  • Hynes (mid-forward)
  • Hodson (ruck)
  • Cole (key back)
  • Peckett (mid)
  • Hoffman (hb)

I don't want to spend our next years pick on Hynes.
And remember we are the Saints, if anything can go wrong next season, it will.

He has the daicos ability of identifying/ navigating his was out of the stoppage and putting the ball in the space of where he teammate is most advantage of winning it.

They’re the traits of champion mids that typically translate to being elite at any level. I don’t know enough about his athletic profile to comment but gee there’s a lot to like from the footage.

Lindsay is not a top tier mid in this draft, prefer Langford over Lindsay to be honest.. he looks like wing / HB to me with little congested ball winning ability which is what we need
He certainly is not a bull. But you are underselling his midfield ability for someone with a later developing body. Some on here seem to think Darcy Wilson has a future in the middle, this kid looks twice the prospect as an inside/outside mid. Far more prepared to win contested ball. He won’t be playing much AFL midfield next year but certainly looks capable.

A purely speculative scenario for Saints:
- Saints with picks 7 & 8 swap, pick 7 & Membrey to North for Pick 2

- North dont need more mid fielders and can secure a forward plus not reaching and overpaying for a key position player in the draft. Saints secure one of the key mids we want and retain pick 7. If not what else would need to be done to make this pick happen (apart from guaranteeing not to bid on LDU in 2025)?
Would value Members at pick 22.

He has the daicos ability of identifying/ navigating his was out of the stoppage and putting the ball in the space of where he teammate is most advantage of winning it.

They’re the traits of champion mids that typically translate to being elite at any level. I don’t know enough about his athletic profile to comment but gee there’s a lot to like from the footage.

Murphy Reid’s kicking doesn’t look anywhere near as good as Daicos to be honest.

Looks one paced, but not slow, and definitely has quick agility in close, especially when jinking, and his hand to foot time looks ultra quick. He reminds me of Sheezel in that respect, one paced but sharp in close and able to dispose to advantage in an instant.

I’m still in the Langford / Reid camp at this stage.

Not that I want to be doing any trading back, at least in the top 10, but the future pick strategy is quite interesting. From a draft perspective it seems to be weak. From a points perspective, knowing that they will tighten the matching rules, next years picks have exactly the same attraction. Pick points don’t know if the draft is good or not!

If we happened to move into areas of the draft where other clubs were scrambling to trade up (given the state of the top 10, I could absolutely see clubs scrambling at, say, pick 8 to move a spot for a Trainor/Smilie/Marshall) then taking some F2s/F3 as compo might not be the worst - especially if we only have room for 4-ish picks. Taking a current 3rd or 2nd might not work for list space reasons.

All depends on who we love and what is left on the board though.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back