2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

For me ... and probably for lot of others .... the outlier in the draft ladder for teams below us is North ... and what they do ... as it should shape what is to come?

We know Tigers will probably take Jagga or O'Sullivan and West Coast will probably be all over whoever the Tigers don't take or Draper .... Adelaide probably keen on Draper being from SA.

Now North don't necessarily need another mid having taken Wardlaw Sheezel McKercher in recent drafts and having LDU .... though maybe they do ... we do know they need key backs but Trainor at pick 2 is a fair reach .... some have pointed out that they may choose to slide down the draft order and give up 2 but they may not be able to get in front of Dees or Suns ... or moerso Dees if they get the Suns 1st pick (which of course they might trade up to get the North 2 pick)

Now ... Melbourne & Gold Coast?

Melbourne ... key position player or mid? ....... with May (33 in Jan) & Lever (29 in March) ... do they look at Trainor as a key back replacement?? Which could spook North if they cough up pick 2 and trade back (ie: the Suns pick which Tigers could get) and then they are behind the Dees in the pick order

Gold Coast ... who the fk knows .... we know they will get Lombard but with him added they now have mids coming out of their sunny sphincter .... do they go tall? ... but they are well stocked there as well ... maybe they look at Travaglia as a tall running HB or maybe they don't have the pick at all ... traded to Tigers for Rioli

Decisions ... decisions :think:
I could certainly see a North/Crows swap for that reason. The Eagles supporters seem to think they love Draper. Crows jump ahead for Draper. North drop back for a player with a difference from their current (say, a big mid like Smilie, dual position Lalor, Trainor even Marshall) and get nice compensation.

Most fascinating build up to the draft. The form of Reid, Langford and Marshall adds a big fat layer now.

Saints draft picks

7. Lalor or Lindsay
8. Trainor
Next. Oliver
Next. Boxshall-Claremont
I will be disappointed if we get pick 8 and pick a defender who might be very good after letting a 25 year old very good defender go to get that pick, that wouldn't make much sense

mids and mids

I will be disappointed if we get pick 8 and pick a defender who might be very good after letting a 25 year old very good defender go to get that pick, that wouldn't make much sense

mids and mids
Best available. There is a clear top 9 that are absolutely elite. Trainor is one of them. If we have two picks and he is on the table we have to take him. Watch him play, I reckon he could play as a mid. Had a lazy 33 touches last week

Best available. There is a clear top 9 that are absolutely elite. Trainor is one of them. If we have two picks and he is on the table we have to take him. Watch him play, I reckon he could play as a mid. Had a lazy 33 touches last week
I have watched him play also think we need to take pure mids, have wasted to many picks hoping to turn HBs into mids

I have watched him play also think we need to take pure mids, have wasted to many picks hoping to turn HBs into mids
Think your leaving out the fact that we already have Garcia, Phillipou, Wilson & Windhager as promising mids.
We have lost Battle & Van Es, thin down back. Trainor is the best rated key back in the draft. Why wouldn't we get him, to develop over the next few years, as they say, good key position players don't come around that often, snap em up when you can.

What does Melbourne do with pick 5?

Mid to eventual replace and gain experience under Petracca, Oliver, Viney or .... key back to eventual replace May / Lever / McDonald?

Forward they already have Fritsch, Petty and Van Rooyen, Turner and Jefferson developing.

Reckon they could be a smoky to take Trainor (they need a developing gun back) and that Gold Coast pick that could go to Tigers ... and then maybe traded to North ... if North want to go back is after the Dees pick .... how badly do North want Trainor ... do they pull the trigger at 2 if they think it is a risk to fall back to a draft postion behind the Dees?

Think your leaving out the fact that we already have Garcia, Phillipou, Wilson & Windhager as promising mids.
We have lost Battle & Van Es, thin down back. Trainor is the best rated key back in the draft. Why wouldn't we get him, to develop over the next few years, as they say, good key position players don't come around that often, snap em up when you can.
we already had a defender that was already developed, that would seem like wasting 3 to 4 years on something we didnt need to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched this fella the other day. Just has some uncanny ability to find the ball and kick goals, but kind of doesn’t look like a footballer. But apparently kicking butt in the WAFL seniors. Being talked about in the 20s area.

From the main draft thread:
“Hamish Davis has to be taken first round he keeps performing he is like a Fyfe or Heeney type. First WAFL men's final today he has 21 touches and 4 goals continuing his very good form in Men's footy.”

One of those guys where you just don’t know where his footy ultimately lands.

Lindsay is not a top tier mid in this draft, prefer Langford over Lindsay to be honest.. he looks like wing / HB to me with little congested ball winning ability which is what we need
Lindsay may surprise you how high he goes, I've seen footage & he's one of the better kicks in this draft & actually likes a run down tackle & accumulates at will.

What does Melbourne do with pick 5?

Mid to eventual replace and gain experience under Petracca, Oliver, Viney or .... key back to eventual replace May / Lever / McDonald?

Forward they already have Fritsch, Petty and Van Rooyen, Turner and Jefferson developing.

Reckon they could be a smoky to take Trainor (they need a developing gun back) and that Gold Coast pick that could go to Tigers ... and then maybe traded to North ... if North want to go back is after the Dees pick .... how badly do North want Trainor ... do they pull the trigger at 2 if they think it is a risk to fall back to a draft postion behind the Dees?
Wouldn’t rule out Marshall either. Petty could move back and may be a more natural position. No idea if Jefferson makes it. Matshall’s left foot and style makes him a bit different for most clubs. In a way Reid is a bit different to the current mix. Langford too. Hopefully Petracca staying means they keep their hands off Lalor 😅

at gun point?
nope just not push him out
went over what happened the other week imo
there was a reason we put Keeler to the backline 1st training session of pre season because we knew we were letting Josh go

nope just not push him out
went over what happened the other week imo
there was a reason we put Keeler to the backline 1st training session of pre season because we knew we were letting Josh go
We knew 1 was going Mow.
We have spoke about this. It didn’t necessarily mean Josh. It could have been Dog house Dougal.

We knew 1 was going Mow.
Me have spoke about this. It didn’t necessarily mean Josh. It could have been Dog house Dougal.
it was never Dougal no one wanted him in last years trade period when he got dangled
he was never getting a 6 contract like Josh did, you and i know that
Howard was never an option

it was never Dougal no one wanted him in last years trade period when he got dangled
he was never getting a 6 contract like Josh did, you and i know that
Howard was never an option
There was no guarantee Battle was going to land Band 1 either when we spoke.

I think It’s pretty unfair to nail the club on this.

The principal idea is sound. They still didn’t and retain in March.

(I think the recent offer was a token save their ass one)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back