2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Again gotta disagree re Lalor

He got 34 disposals (BOG & most on ground) playing as a mid in his 1st game back for GWVR after injury ... since then he is playing a mix of mid/forward and went 22 (2nd most for GWV) , 25 (BOG & most on the ground), 11 (injured in this last game) ... only played 4 CL games this year as he was playing for Geelong Grammar in APS ... kicked 7 against Wesley

In the u18 Championship games he didn't get much of a look in as a mid as he had a couple in front of him and was also coming off an injury ... played forward mostly and kicked 3 in one match

He is listed as 187cm (6ft 2) so I am not sure how his size gets magically minimised

As for his kicking ... technically he is a very good sound kick and very penetrating ... again .... if you watch his highlights he hits plenty of targets .... also some kicks forward ... a better forward would mark .... and of course their isn't one player in the draft that doesn't occasionally miss a target under pressure ... they all do

There is so much to work with here ... if he can stay injury free ... which could be an issue

It seems you are the only one questioning his skills / technical ability ... as most don't see what you are seeing

Hope we get to see him again in the CL Finals but unlikely because he apparently he has a hamstring issue now (missed last weekend)
High grade hammy for Lalor.

Out for 8-10 weeks so will miss the combine.

I think if a draftee is going to translate to AFL they generally need a standout skill or talent that they can build their game around. If a draftee is just good at most things chances are that wont be good enough at AFL.
Top 10 Examples from recent drafts

Chayse Jones
Dylan Stephens
Will Phillips
Josh Ward
Neil Erasmus
Elijah Tsatas
Jhye Clarke

All midfielders who racked it up in the underage comps but have struggled to make it at AFL and all who lack a distinctive AFL level trait all good at most things but no standout trait athletically or skill wise got picked high because they got a lot of the ball at underage level. Some of them may still have good AFL careers but none look like being elite A grade players.

I am sure there are examples some will find that break this rule. Lenny Hayes is one I can think of that was a slow burn early but ultimately his competitiveness and strength made him a champion more than his skill set or athletic ability. So character and work ethic can be that elite AFL trait but that is hard to assess from Draft videos. Maybe the skill to look at for that is tackling Hayes and Steele always excelled at that and in our current crop Garcia does too. That might be the best guide to demonstrate a players character and the impact that has at the next level.

Looking at our recent drafting in the first round they all do have an elite AFL trait that would put them in the top 10% of AFL listed players for that skill/trait:

Wilson - elite runner
Phillipou - Athletic ability and size
Naz - Kicking and decision making

All of the above have locked a position in the team that is based on their core skill/trait

Of this years draft the ones with a clear elite skill or trait IMO are:

FOS - elite skills and athleticism
Lalor - Power and explosiveness
Draper - Run and Speed
Reid - elite hands and agility
Smille - Size and Athletic Ability

Question is are these elite traits enough to put them in the top 10% of the AFL for those traits or do they come back to the pack at AFL level. Of all of them it is Reid's hands and agility that I think put him not just in the top 10% but in the top handful at AFL level which is why I want him despite his athletic profile and lack of penetration on his kicking.

The ones with less measurable skills whose draft position is mostly based on their ball winning are:
Jagga
Ashcroft
Langford

Langford might be Lenny - Ashcroft might be as good as his brother who also fits into this bracket - Jagga is an eel in stoppages maybe that's his elite skill. Generally you will see the words consistent, reliable, ball winner applied to their draft profiles and they will be called a "Safe Pick" personally I don't think there is such a thing as a safe pick unless you have a Harley Reid in your sights.

I like Murphy Reid and Draper as best fits to pair with Phillipou long term but Draper will be gone before our pick so Lalor would be my choice. Smillie is too similar to Phillipou FOS will be gone Jagga not a good pairing with Reid and probably gone. Langford Reid and Phillipou could work.

Finally if Trainor is available and we think he is the best player we need to take him would be like ignoring Naughton because we need midfielders something we will rue for years. Same for Travaglia he has something special as well.
We’ll be pretty happy if we walk away with Lalor and Reid, seems as though they have complimentary traits and I agree that Phillipou is the third foil.

Throw in the grit of a Windhager and Garcia, and the outside spread of Nasiah and Wilson, and that’s a really promising core of young mids.

Let Owens and Henry roam forward and mid. Clark Mid/HB.

If someone like Shoenmaker comes on you also have another line breaking kick to rebound. If Collard comes on you have more X factor forward too. Imagine if Keeler filled out into his potential, that would be an outrageously talented young core. Much water to go under the bridge obviously.

We get that right, and I’d say we’re looking for a young key back next, and a ruck (but they can come from anywhere). Pretty promising times ahead if we get this draft right… of course I’m sure the future will turn out in weird and whacky ways regardless, but no doubts this will be a sliding doors off season for us

P.s. if we spend even the mere potentiality of this future away on someone like Houston, I will be gutted. Bringing in players like that should be FA, or 2nd round picks and beyond only. Henry and Higgins are examples of trading in established players right. Young, inexpensive and talented. Steele was another. I think the Club is on the ball with this stuff but I harbour my doubts over SOS and Gubby, so let’s see.

Last edited:
Can you believe they strapped him up and had him play out the remainder of most of the game at full forward. The GWV medical staff must be as good as Melbournes....

Hopefully he doesn't have Freeman-Hannebury Syndrome.

I’ve seen enough, he’s desperate to get to the Saints.

Surely a club in the top 5 couldn’t risk picking him now? Especially with all of the other options.

Should be available for us at 7/8.
Still likely to go top 5 on attributes and what he CAN produce imo. I’m hoping he’s one of our picks but I’m not holding out much hope. He probably goes pick 1 this year if he had a full go at it.

I know this is the draft thread, however I just want to come to the defence of Dow.

Yes a no.3 dp, but has not been able to get a run at it. Last month of the season started to get his touch and looked like a decent midfielder.
Is he a no.3, well that's depends on perspective. Jack Billings was a no.3 and while always compared to Bont, has played 170 AFL games and has been solid very occasionally extremely good..

Dow can be a very good mid if he gets a free injury run. I thought he Jones and Clark improved our mids immensely when they all got consecutive games and built their match fitness.
Like Wood, never could get started at his first club, with a good run at being injury free he can be a very valuable cog.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s okay. I’d spew if we spent pick 3 on him though.

He had 4 months out with a knee injury at the start of the year, you just have to give him another year before judging. Clearly not at 100% conditioning which would affect his running and ability to get from contest to contest. Things can change very quickly with a healthy run and some tweaks to game style - the latter we saw with Byrnes

He could still become sort of Adam Cerra level type. Don’t think he’s going to be a Brownlow contender or anything now though.

yeah agreed, like we spewed for 10 years we spent pick 3 on Billings. A lot for a good but not top notch player.

I think if we get something near the output of Wood we would be satisfied. Some of his moves with the ball in hand in the last two games made me feel his confidence was coming back to him. Still young, and can have a very productive future.

Still would like pick 7 and 8 (?) will be more like NAZ and Pou than Dow.

Carlton had two swings at the top 10 and walked away with Dow and Lachie O'Brien. Unfortunately they picked up De Koning at 30 to save a little face.

He could still become sort of Adam Cerra level type. Don’t think he’s going to be a Brownlow contender or anything now though.
him becoming Cerra level would be elite considering we paid a late pick for him

We already have Brownlow contenders, don’t need him to be one too otherwise they’ll start stealing votes off each other when we’re winning 23 games per year💩😉

him becoming Cerra level would be elite considering we paid a late pick for him

We already have Brownlow contenders, don’t need him to be one too otherwise they’ll start stealing votes off each other when we’re winning 23 games per year💩😉

I think that would be best case stuff. Think he’ll be a handy player if fit but more realistically he’s probably a more consistent Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae is such a better prospect than Shiel.

Say no to Dylan Shiel.

Posted in the main Draft Forum

The highest-rated tall defender in this year’s draft – Sandringham’s Luke Trainor – may not play again this season after copping a high hit in Saturday’s quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
Trainor, the grandson of champion former Geelong and North Melbourne goalkicker Doug Wade, had just received a handball when Calder ruckman Riley Leedham collected him in the head and gave away a free kick.
Trainor immediately clutched at his head but played on for a brief period before taking no part in the second half and going to hospital for precautionary reasons. The Dragons will find out his scan results on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two brain injuries sustained in games last season.
Trainor’s concussions are a talking point among recruiters ahead of the draft in November, where he and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

The AFL announced in March that any footballer who suffered a concussion outside the AFL and AFLW would need to miss at least 21 days, including the under-18 Talent League and other second-tier competitions.

Trainor was an emergency for the Dragons’ grand final win last year, and a concussion would rule him out of this year’s decider, too, assuming Sandringham beat Dandenong Stingrays on Sunday.

The highest-rated tall defender in this year’s draft – Sandringham’s Luke Trainor – may not play again this season after copping a high hit in Saturday’s quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
Trainor, the grandson of champion former Geelong and North Melbourne goalkicker Doug Wade, had just received a handball when Calder ruckman Riley Leedham collected him in the head and gave away a free kick.
Trainor immediately clutched at his head but played on for a brief period before taking no part in the second half and going to hospital for precautionary reasons. The Dragons will find out his scan results on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two brain injuries sustained in games last season.
Trainor’s concussions are a talking point among recruiters ahead of the draft in November, where he and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

The AFL announced in March that any footballer who suffered a concussion outside the AFL and AFLW would need to miss at least 21 days, including the under-18 Talent League and other second-tier competitions.

Trainor was an emergency for the Dragons’ grand final win last year, and a concussion would rule him out of this year’s decider, too, assuming Sandringham beat Dandenong Stingrays on Sunday.
Great. Need to him to go before our picks.

yeah agreed, like we spewed for 10 years we spent pick 3 on Billings. A lot for a good but not top notch player.

I think if we get something near the output of Wood we would be satisfied. Some of his moves with the ball in hand in the last two games made me feel his confidence was coming back to him. Still young, and can have a very productive future.

Still would like pick 7 and 8 (?) will be more like NAZ and Pou than Dow.
And, let’s not forget, he’s worth keeping just because he kicked a goal against the DeBluesionals.

Trainor’s concussions are a talking point among recruiters ahead of the draft in November,
where he and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

No.
Surely, surely not.

Ouch didnt know that. That might turn a few recruiters away from him. The last thing we need is another Paddy McCartin scenario.

Oh dear. I'd have been perfectly happy to get him but that does it for me.

Great. Need to him to go before our picks.
Really rate Trainor very highly, and I really hope he has a long successful and healthy career, but once bitten twice shy.

If only one of those "top 7" mids is going to be available at 7+8 then trading 8 for Houston becomes a lot more palatable. We'd still have an early second rounder to use on another mid. If we keep the pick I think we'd need to try to split it, which might be difficult, and failing that we'd be reaching for someone like Travaglia, which I'd still be more than happy with.

Assuming we even get pick 8 in the first place of course...

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back