2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoffman was the best performed of our NGA's in the preliminary final. He had a really good game and shut down a lot of Dandenongs forward entires playing on Hynes when forward. If he grows another 2 or 3 cm's he could be our next CHB, he is really strong in the air and played with some presence.

Linder also had a decent game but I dont think he is in our calculations.

Cole made some good spoils but has a long long way to go to become an AFL key defender IMO.

Peckett had the quitest game Ive seen him play, he didnt look to be moving well possibly carried an injury.

Bailey McKenzie's effort will shoot him into top 30 calculations. Ashcoft is now the clear No 1 choice of he wasnt a FS.

Reid not one of his most proactive games but his game sense and ability to set team mates up is uncanny. Langford battled hard but Sandi's depth of talent was overwhelming.
I think if Jagga Smith had a bigger frame he would be clear number 1.

Depending on what we and NM suspect Gold Coast and Melbourne are going to do with their picks Don't be surprised if Saints get offered 2 + F1st from North Melbourne for 7 + 8. Then NM draft Armstrong and Trainor with 7 and 8.
I would do that all day long. Almost guaranteed a top 3 pick next year as well. I don't buy into the "next draft is no good" rhetoric. 12 months is a long time.

I would do that all day long. Almost guaranteed a top 3 pick next year as well. I don't buy into the "next draft is no good" rhetoric. 12 months is a long time.

Some drafts are better than others , some are horrid and some are amazing.
Its whether the "experts" can predict it or not.

Talk from where?

Pretty sure the club hasn't officially conveyed that?
I can't remember where but it was talked about on here. Ofcourse the club aren't officially talking about it, would damage their ability to get it done if they truly were targeting a 3rd first rounder this year. I won't be surprised if we do though.

On the NM 2+F1st swap for 7+8. It gives us the opportunity for the 2nd best Mid in this draft and then likely one of the top 5 next year. Top 5 in drafts are always good regardless of how the draft is 'rated'

Depending on what we and NM suspect Gold Coast and Melbourne are going to do with their picks Don't be surprised if Saints get offered 2 + F1st from North Melbourne for 7 + 8. Then NM draft Armstrong and Trainor with 7 and 8.

So pick 2 & pick 1 for pick 7 & 8?

That’s a Kerry Packer/Alan Bond type deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember where but it was talked about on here. Ofcourse the club aren't officially talking about it, would damage their ability to get it done if they truly were targeting a 3rd first rounder this year. I won't be surprised if we do though.

On the NM 2+F1st swap for 7+8. It gives us the opportunity for the 2nd best Mid in this draft and then likely one of the top 5 next year. Top 5 in drafts are always good regardless of how the draft is 'rated'
You mean it was put forth in here because someone reckons it would be good to get three 1st round draft picks?

You mean it was put forth in here because someone reckons it would be good to get three 1st round draft picks?
Yes, there was a bit more it from what I remember It wasn't just a random comment thrown up but no not verified or anything. It's all speculation but it makes a lot of sense if we rate this draft and the back end of the top 15-25 where a gettable third pick would land.

Also considering we have 24 we could trade up with, I think the club want to strike now in the draft rather than spread 1 first rounder per year. Getting a bulk of kids through in the same group and bracket as our young core at the moment. If we spread them across when they all get to that 25+ age then we just stay middling.

How did Peckett end up this year? I did notice he had one very good game stats wise in the back end. Is he looking a likely prospect and where would we expect him to fall in the draft?

How are you Birdy? You've made yourself scarce these days.

I think if Jagga Smith had a bigger frame he would be clear number 1.

Ashcroft probably the most certain high level player in the draft. He'd be my number one. Jagga probably the first live pick though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just realised, Harvey Langford runs a lot like Matt Kennedy. Not the fastest, but knows how to use legs and explode out of stoppage. Am I tripping or does anyone else see it?

Also both 190cm...

I just realised, Harvey Langford runs a lot like Matt Kennedy. Not the fastest, but knows how to use legs and explode out of stoppage. Am I tripping or does anyone else see it?

Also both 190cm...
Matt or josh? I see more josh Kennedy in him but Harvey is a better contested mark

One to watch for the 2026 draft.

Arki Butler (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Forward/Midfielder | 180cm | 23/04/2008

Arguably Vic Metro’s standout player and prospect from the National Championships, Butler is a mercurial type with great evasiveness and goal sense. He looks dangerous wherever he goes; whether playing deep inside 50, as a high forward or through midfield. He often makes the opposition look silly and is both skilful and athletic enough to back up his excellent decision making. Butler also has ties to the top level, as the grandson of 250-game St Kilda premiership player, Allan Davis.

One to watch for the 2026 draft.

Arki Butler (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Forward/Midfielder | 180cm | 23/04/2008

Arguably Vic Metro’s standout player and prospect from the National Championships, Butler is a mercurial type with great evasiveness and goal sense. He looks dangerous wherever he goes; whether playing deep inside 50, as a high forward or through midfield. He often makes the opposition look silly and is both skilful and athletic enough to back up his excellent decision making. Butler also has ties to the top level, as the grandson of 250-game St Kilda premiership player, Allan Davis.
So I'm guessing the grandfather-son rule is coming for 2027?

They would also need to sling us pick 22. Give us a second pick in the hit zone.

Yes. A bloody long time to wait.
Sorry, I’d rather get the kids in this year and start developing them.
Why wait till our older players are even older?

Oh sorry, read it as 2 x F1 , not pick 2 and a F1.
Been a long day 🙄

How are you Birdy? You've made yourself scarce these days.
Yeah, pity he did…
He missed the pages and pages of discussion of Battle and the likely compo and has brought it all up again…. 🙄😉

Someone posted that they were talking to a talent watcher and they likened Peckett to an AFL player, but I can’t recall. Was it Warner? It seemed OTT.
Way way ott. Sunday was his biggest test as it was up against some of the premier midfielders so it was a good guage of where he is at imo. He was quite poor with his disposal in space and also when under pressure he panicked. Has tools but yeah. Was actually quite impressed with Cole. His voice and communication was very very good and his defensive acts are elite. Athletically a bit to work with there but also has a long way to go. Needs to be able to mark the ball and his kicking needs work. Lennox Hoffman was very impressive I think. Athletically very good. Skills very good. Defensively very good. He could develop into a really good prospect imo

Also both 190cm...
Langford was interesting on the weekend. Got caught holding the ball a few times and his lack of pace looked evident at the ground and had me thinking how’s this gonna translate into the pace of afl footy? He might take a bit of time and become really good. Hard to rate among the top prospects and I can see why

Langford was interesting on the weekend. Got caught holding the ball a few times and his lack of pace looked evident at the ground and had me thinking how’s this gonna translate into the pace of afl footy? He might take a bit of time and become really good. Hard to rate among the top prospects and I can see why
That's always been the problem with him but people get sucked in by the big numbers (including me more recently with an element of copium with our fall down the draft order)

I feel like a likely scenario is that he ends up a Mason Wood-type winger with the potential to be a lesser Bont if he can get stronger through the hips. Doesn't have speed, and doesn't have elite kicking so he'll have to become a contest machine to play inside. Elite running to become a winger

Wood is a good player, but I wouldn't take a winger in the top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back