2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Carlton get 3 for 12 and 14 ...Jesus if I was a WCE fan id be filthy

The point is WCE will now have to deal in future picks with Hawthorn to get the Barrass deal done, unless they are prepared to split pick 3 or involve other clubs (unlikely).

Remembering everyone expects both Carlton & Hawthorn to be playing finals again next year so the futures might be actually less value than pick 12 or 14 this year. The other point WCE are committed to Baker and Richmond might prefer a pick this year than next.

WCE obviously got greedy so the Hawks said bugger ya! Should be more of it, they and Carlton both know what they want and are going after it.

Last edited:

For someone who gets pushed off the ball Murphy Reid sure gets the ball a lot.

In the National Championships only Jagga, Lombard, Langford & Ashcroft touched it more.

Contested possession ratio of 37.8% only Smillie, Jagga, Langford & Lombard with more CP's.

Better clearance rate than Ashcroft in the championships.

Ranked ahead of Jagga & Langford for tackles in the championships.

None of the ranked mids kicked more goals than him in the Championships.
I really want to like Reid but I just can’t.

Jagga
Fos
Langford
Lalor
Smillie
Armstrong
Tauru
Travaglia
Reid
Draper

Have all been touted to go in the “Top 5” in the last month or two.

I just wouldn’t get caught up with who will be at our pick just yet.
Also Allen. I suspect WC are happy to slide back to get Allen assuming he’s still available.

I really want to like Reid but I just can’t.
Yeah, I get it.

If we've got a choice between Cripps and Serong we pick Cripps every day of the week right? But Smillie ain't no Patrick Cripps.

The difference for me is that we're hoping that Smillie grows into something more, while Reid just has to continue to track. Smillie's performance at the Championships suggests that he has to get smarter and stronger to transition to AFL. Murphy's performance suggests that he just needs to get stronger to make it.

It’s not a disaster at all, it’s just that some want us to trade up to pick 3 and are hoping Carlton don’t beat us to it
I’d say it’s more to do with the fact it could change the entire order from P3 down.

If Richmond land P1 & P2 - and say that’s Fos and Lalor.

What if Carlton take Draper at 3?

What do the Crows do?

I’d say it’s more to do with the fact it could change the entire order from P3 down.

If Richmond land P1 & P2 - and say that’s Fos and Lalor.

What if Carlton take Draper at 3?

What do the Crows do?
I’ve had Eagles taking Draper for a while so it doesn’t really change anything for me. Adelaide probably take Jagga

Zach Merrett is more comparable to Lindsay than Reid imo

Both exceptional kicks and spread extremely well with their above average leg speed and cruising speed, but limited size creates doubt over AFL midfield ability

Reid is an ok kick with an elite handball. Lacks the ability to spread like the others. At his size, the only comparison I see is Lachie Neale but let’s be real, how likely is it he becomes that? Over/under 1%?
How likely is any player going to end up the AFL player they are compared to? Very rarely.

I think he clearly has some elite attributes that will see him become a pretty handy AFL mid. His footy starts, contested work, clean and quick hands look pretty impressive to me.

Time will tell, but he looks like a player to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is WCE will now have to deal in future picks with Hawthorn to get the Barrass deal done, unless they are prepared to split pick 3 or involve other clubs (unlikely).

Remembering everyone expects both Carlton & Hawthorn to be playing finals again next year so the futures might be actually less value than pick 12 or 14 this year. The other point WCE are committed to Baker and Richmond might prefer a pick this year than next.

WCE obviously got greedy so the Hawks said bugger ya! Should be more of it, they and Carlton both know what they want and are going after it.

Though is it WCE being greedy, or the Hawks being greedy with a lowball offer? It would not surprise me at all that the Hawks were offering less than market value, and quite possible less again now.

Barrass UFA at the end of 2027 . So contracted for 3 more years. 29 and a FB he is in prime years.

Hawks are stating that they want to win the flag now....so trade value of Future Picks if you are dealing with them has to be based on a high finish (even if they do not). Then with a suppofering less than sedly weaker draft you discount further again.

What happens if Adelaide take Tauru?

Do the Dees take Jagga or Langford?

Do north take Armstrong?

All of a sudden Langford/Jagga and Smillie are at 7/8
Think North would be confident of Armstrong getting through to 10, depending on who ends up with 9. Seems unlikely we'd take him. If the Dees have 9 and take a mid at 5 they might be a bit more uncertain.

With the current profile of their midfields I reckon the Dees would take Jagga and North would take Langford/Smillie or possibly Travaglia.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back