List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Who do you want with Pick 5 (6)?

• Luke Trainor (194cm, Key Defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Allan (191cm, Midfielder/Defender, Peel Thunder)

• Tobie Travaglia (187cm, Defender, Bendigo Pioneers)

• Taj Hotton (182cm, Forward/Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

• Alix Tauru (191cm, Key Defender, Gippsland Power)

• Trade the pick (let Lamb burn the place to the ground)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oliver is going to be meeting with Geelong. Disaster, what the **** are they going to offer is pick wise after the Bailey Smith deal? They aren't even going to be paying his whole contract if he goes there...

They still have a 2025 F1 and who knows what else they can bring in over the trade period.

Oliver leaving us is honestly a net gain even if the picks in return aren't amazing.

Oliver is going to be meeting with Geelong. Disaster, what the **** are they going to offer is pick wise after the Bailey Smith deal? They aren't even going to be paying his whole contract if he goes there...
Who cares he's a dumb ginger campaigner who can **** off down to Geelong where he belongs. **** him

If Oliver does want to go to Geelong we need to make it clear to Connor Sports that we won’t pay any of his contract going forward and that we expect Geelong to meet our trade value. Oliver may have to agree to a new contract with Geelong that may be substantially less than his Melbourne contract to allow Geelong to agree to meet our trade value.
At some point Oliver has to accept responsibility for where he finds himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Oliver does nominate Geelong, we should go hard for SDK. Take on his full contract, give us SDK and we'd be happy I'd imagine.
Again, that wouldn't go close. Oliver is basically a negative asset at this point.

Some significant overvaluing happening in here. They're not trading for 2021 Oliver, they're trading for an Oliver who has had significant injury and off-field issues, and hasn't been near his best form for two years. Not to mention the enormous contract.

Kane 4 our GM of footy role.

Staggering if true. Doubt he'd be meeting with another club if it's not partly true. Offering that contract alone when he's been off the rails should show the club values him highly. Maybe something changed when Trac opened up? Probably best for both parties to part ways now i reckon. Get what we can,get his contract off the books and concentrate on keeping Trac and Koz happy.

If Oliver does nominate Geelong, we should go hard for SDK. Take on his full contract, give us SDK and we'd be happy I'd imagine.

SDK was the first person I thought of too, but in a three-way trade. He goes to the Blues, we get the Blues' R1 and F1 draft picks (both likely to be late).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Happy to trade Oliver if we get something even half decent back and the club pivots to rebuilding through the draft but Jesus it's depressing how badly the club has fallen apart since the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, that wouldn't go close. Oliver is basically a negative asset at this point.

Some significant overvaluing happening in here. They're not trading for 2021 Oliver, they're trading for an Oliver who has had significant injury and off-field issues, and hasn't been near his best form for two years. Not to mention the enormous contract.
SDK wasn't even getting a game for them. I get what you're saying, but no chance Dees trade him without getting something decent back. I know how much getting him off the books is important, but zero chance we get nothing back. SDK wasn't in their best 22. Would sure up our defence with a young kid. No reason why we couldn't push for that. How bad do Geelong value him? Let's find out.

SDK was the first person I thought of too, but in a three-way trade. He goes to the Blues, we get the Blues' R1 and F1 draft picks (both likely to be late).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There's zero chance we're getting 2 firsts for Oliver. That's why I suggested SDK. Maybe late first, but I think they've already committed their first for Bailey Smith.

SDK wasn't even getting a game for them. I get what you're saying, but no chance Dees trade him without getting something decent back. I know how much getting him off the books is important, but zero chance we get nothing back. SDK wasn't in their best 22. Would sure up our defence with a young kid. No reason why we couldn't push for that. How bad do Geelong value him? Let's find out.
SDK was injured late in the season, and then they didn't want to disrupt a winning team. He's absolutely in their best 22.

Not saying we get nothing back, I'm just asking for folks to temper their expectations. The main value in trading Oliver would be getting the contract (and distraction) off our books and rebalancing our midfield. If we get a semi-decent pick on top of that, great, but I wouldn't be expecting a big haul in a trade return.

SDK was injured late in the season, and then they didn't want to disrupt a winning team. He's absolutely in their best 22.

Not saying we get nothing back, I'm just asking for folks to temper their expectations. The main value in trading Oliver would be getting the contract (and distraction) off our books and rebalancing our midfield. If we get a semi-decent pick on top of that, great, but I wouldn't be expecting a big haul in a trade return.

Yeah, if we got their F1 next year I'd be stoked tbh.

Yeah people got rocks in their head if they think we getting SDK.

We'd be lucky to get a pick under 30 for him

If Geelong are the chasers they will have to give up something. I don't see how they get both Oliver and Smith over the line with their current draft hand. If we're actually adamant that we want to keep Oliver then we're clearly not going to piss him off just to get him off our books when we're not under any cap pressure anyway.

If Geelong are the chasers they will have to give up something. I don't see how they get both Oliver and Smith over the line with their current draft hand. If we're actually adamant that we want to keep Oliver then we're clearly not going to piss him off just to get him off our books when we're not under any cap pressure anyway.
Something, sure. But anything involving De Koning or Holmes plus a pick is pure fantasy.

All depends on the contract. If they take it all, the value would be a token late pick. If we're contributing a significant amount, then obviously the price goes up.

Geelong would know this, hence the 'chasing' element. If we had a great culture and could get a player that theoretically helped our main area of deficiency for pennies on the dollar, I'd hope we explored the option too.

Something, sure. But anything involving De Koning or Holmes plus a pick is pure fantasy.

All depends on the contract. If they take it all, the value would be a token late pick. If we're contributing a significant amount, then obviously the price goes up.

Geelong would know this, hence the 'chasing' element. If we had a great culture and could get a player that theoretically helped our main area of deficiency for pennies on the dollar, I'd hope we explored the option too.
I'm not suggesting that we get anything like that but I don't think we're letting Oliver go for a second rounder if we still think it's worth salvaging. The contracts shit but again without being under any cap pressure it seems absurd to piss him off to create cap space we have nothing to fill with. We'd just end up overpaying other guys instead.

I'm not suggesting that we get anything like that but I don't think we're letting Oliver go for a second rounder if we still think it's worth salvaging. The contracts shit but again without being under any cap pressure it seems absurd to piss him off to create cap space we have nothing to fill with. We'd just end up overpaying other guys instead.
Get what you're saying re current cap space/pressure, but it's not like he's only on $1 million per in 2025. He'll also be around that figure in 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029 and 2030. Keeping him would require an enormous amount of faith that he returns to near the player he was, because that sort of money could see us struggle to bring in future targets or impact our ability to retain some of our own talent if they break out.

If he had one (or even maybe two) years left on that deal, then I agree that it wouldn't really be worth trading him for peanuts due to our current situation. But you'd hope that by the back end of that deal, we're in contention again, and I'd hate to be hamstrung by it if he doesn't bounce back.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Back