Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough

Thibk we need a 2nd good small

Even though he plays tall
Wouldn't be a bad option for a 2 year deal. We did just sign a 30yo to a 3 year deal anyway. If we think we're in the window, why not.

Last edited:

Interesting yes, but what do you make of it?
My guess is that either 4 or 5 will not be offered new contracts assuming none move on of their own accord. How they go during the season will have a big bearing on who. My "picks":
Vickery
Arnold
Reid
Magor
Konstanty if it's 5
Fox an outside possibility but he's still going strong and is best 26 or so.
Francis maybe or he might choose to move on.
We have two first rounders probably before Cochran unless we can combine them to chase a particular draftee.
Second Academy kid?
Don't see us trading anyone in.
I think there's zero chance that we don't renew Konstanty, unless upon Mills first day back at training, he makes a beeline to him and does his other shoulder.

I am waiting for arguments for retaining Reid.

Hope we keep McAndrew. Is a more than decent tap ruck and certainly better at the craft than Ladhams imo. Still not a contested mark which I really hope comes on this year.

If some Club was to make an offer for Ladhams he should be encouraged to take it, even if we pay some of his salary. The man is fundamentally untrustworthy on the footy field.

I assume we will lose at least 2 via trades. I suspect there will be exorbitant offers for some that we don’t match.

I really like Francis as a generalist sort of high IQ tall, he might go for opportunity. I expect other Clubs are discussing Sheldrick’s intentions and whether he is interested in opportunity. Adelaide, Eagles and Saints lack quality mids

My list begins with

Arnold - his back issue could not have come at a worse time.
Vickery - has not shown enough
Reid - * ducks for cover *

Magor must be close to a debut. I think he has come on well and is versatile, being able to play back, forward or on the wing. Edwards is doing well enough.

Nobody mentions McAndrew at all. He is nearly 24 and, although he has played 2 senior games, is still a long way from AFL standard.
I understand that he is a development player, but how long do we give him? If Ladhams is suspended while Grundy is injured (heaven forbid) then he is all we have apart from an 18yo.
Do we think he will make it?
Good point, and we should be talking about him, especially since we just used a 1st round (Top 20) pick on drafting Green

Good point, and we should be talking about him, especially since we just used a 1st round (Top 20) pick on drafting Green
McAndrew improves each year and as noted earlier if he could improve his marking and goal kicking. Cox has taught him to palm the ball which is an enormous skill. I also like how he is keen on tackling and fighting for the loose ball.

Green needs experience and some meat on his bones. Won’t get a senior game for another couple of years.

I expect we will turnover at least 5 players. Quite possibly more.

I do see McAndrew as being ready to play AFL but I don't see McAndrew as ever being our first choice ruck. Rather he is useful depth. With rucks, you need those guys. And he is paid probably less than half Ladhams. He continues to improve, so I think we keep him.

I do think we are likely to trade out some players (or lose them to free agency). Lloyd would be my first choice. Maybe Hayward. (I value Hayward more than caesar88 but I agree with caesar's analysis that we don't want to tie up so much salary cap in him and we may be better off trying someone who may be inferior but will cost less.) I think there is a strong chance we could trade out Ladhams (not that we'll get much for him). He's good enough to play AFL and he's not going to get many games with us. It would more be about freeing up cap space and list spots so we can hang on to younger talent.

From memory Lloyd is out of contract at the end of next year. He's good enough to play a while longer. We could persuade him to agree to go by telling him we won't be extending him beyond next year and pointing out he's currently still in a good position to get a 3 year deal with a club that could use his experience and high training standards (e.g. Essendon?).

Reid is the only player I think is sure to go. I think Kirk will be lucky to survive. (He's not Cat B is he? That could be a saving grace for him, if he is.)

Fox deserves to be retained but there's no chance he'd be complacent given the way we have treated him to date. I adore Cunningham but he might be in danger if we need to make room. I don't think we can keep all of Lloyd, Fox and Cunningham. All 3 have 1993 birth dates I think. Time to evolve.

I back Vickery. I'm not discouraged by what he has shown so far but I do agree he needs to show more this year. He gets a bit of a pass for his first season where he was one of the youngest rookies out there (December birthday) and also he had to deal with injury. Personally, right now I'd retain him ahead of Magor but that could change as the season unfolds. They might be competing for one spot. Really Konstanty is in the same boat. He has not shown much so far but it'd be a rare thing that you delist a first round draft pick after their first contract, especially when he too is especially young (November birthday) and dealt with injury in his first year. They would have seen a lot in him before using our first rounder on him.

Meanwhile Mitchell clearly seems to have shown enough to be retained. Ditto Edwards, especially being Cat B rookie and in such an important KPD role (although he is still the furthest of all these guys from being ready to play AFL).

I have to go now. Not sure if I had more to write but that'll have to do.

Last edited:

I do see McAndrew as being ready to play AFL but I don't see McAndrew as ever being our first choice ruck. Rather he is useful depth. With rucks, you need those guys. And he is paid probably less than half Ladhams. He continues to improve, so I think we keep him.

I do think we are likely to trade out some players (or lose them to free agency). Lloyd would be my first choice. Maybe Hayward. (I value Hayward more than caesar88 but I agree with caesar's analysis that we don't want to tie up so much salary cap in him and we may be better off trying someone who may be inferior but will cost less.) I think there is a strong chance we could trade out Ladhams (not that we'll get much for him). He's good enough to play AFL and he's not going to get many games with us. It would more be about freeing up cap space and list spots so we can hang on to younger talent.

From memory Lloyd is out of contract at the end of next year. He's good enough to play a while longer. We could persuade him to agree to go by telling him we won't be extending him beyond next year and pointing out he's currently still in a good position to get a 3 year deal with a club that could use his experience and high training standards (e.g. Essendon?).

Reid is the only player I think is sure to go. I think Kirk will be lucky to survive. (He's not Cat B is he? That could be a saving grace for him, if he is.)

Fox deserves to be retained but there's no chance he'd be complacent given the way we have treated him to date. I adore Cunningham but he might be in danger if we need to make room. I don't think we can keep all of Lloyd, Fox and Cunningham. All 3 have 1993 birth dates I think. Time to evolve.

I back Vickery. I'm not discouraged by what he has shown so far but I do agree he needs to show more this year. He gets a bit of a pass for his first season where he was one of the youngest rookies out there (December birthday) and also he had to deal with injury. Personally, right now I'd retain him ahead of Magor but that could change as the season unfolds. They might be competing for one spot. Really Konstanty is in the same boat. He has not shown much so far but it'd be a rare thing that you delist a first round draft pick after their first season, especially when he too is especially young (November birthday) and dealt with injury in his first year. They would have seen a lot in him before using our first rounder on him.

Meanwhile Mitchell clearly seems to have shown enough to be retained. Ditto Edwards, especially being Cat B rookie and in such an important KPD role (although he is still the furthest of all these guys from being ready to play AFL).

🤔🤔🤔

Can anyone think of any first round picks that have been quietly delisted (i.e. not Elijah Taylor style although he wasn't a first rounder) after their first contracts in recent years? I'm not limiting this just to the Swans.

Brief 1min mention about Logan and Chad from Triple M Perth yesterday (at 3min mark)

(nb. Ellis and Daniels are the 2 who have been pushing the Chad going back to WA narrative)

I back Vickery. I'm not discouraged by what he has shown so far but I do agree he needs to show more this year. He gets a bit of a pass for his first season where he was one of the youngest rookies out there (December birthday) and also he had to deal with injury. Personally, right now I'd retain him ahead of Magor but that could change as the season unfolds. They might be competing for one spot. Really Konstanty is in the same boat. He has not shown much so far but it'd be a rare thing that you delist a first round draft pick after their first contract, especially when he too is especially young (November birthday) and dealt with injury in his first year. They would have seen a lot in him before using our first rounder on him.

You might want to ping Melican onto that list somewhere. As Bedfords posted Melican apparently has a 3 yr offer on the table from Saints, if its more than ours I can see him taking it.

Still think we've got some movement in the backline yet with Melican & Florent yet to make calls. I think Jake will see out his contract, he strikes me as a 1 club player, we will keep him if we lose the other two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might want to ping Melican onto that list somewhere. As Bedfords posted Melican apparently has a 3 yr offer on the table from Saints, if its more than ours I can see him taking it.

Still think we've got some movement in the backline yet with Melican & Florent yet to make calls. I think Jake will see out his contract, he strikes me as a 1 club player, we will keep him if we lose the other two.
Probably not ideal if Melican leaves, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

I don't see Melican leaving. He's having his best year since 2017, if not ever. He's playing seniors. I think he would only leave it we weren't that into him - but while we're playing him in seniors we clearly are into him and we'll put a fair offer in front of him. The only caveat is if we chase some other higher profile KPD who would get selection ahead of him. At this stage Melican is winning the battle for selection internally and is likely to continue to be selected while he maintains his current form and fitness.

The other scenario is a club coming with a godfather offer for him (i.e. not 3 years on average wages) and I don't see that happening.

Brief 1min mention about Logan and Chad from Triple M Perth yesterday (at 3min mark)

(nb. Ellis and Daniels are the 2 who have been pushing the Chad going back to WA narrative)
Caleb Warner and Luke McDonald are rubbish players. Freo can have them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back