List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe but we can also look at the array of mids we have there. Maybe that ends up being Cleary’s spot. Personally I wouldn’t be using a high pick on a HFF.

Best available at 19
Best key forward at 20 (Amstrong or Shanahan probably)
I could get behind a Langford/Hynes with 19 (blows out to 23/24) and then Shanahan with the next pick

I could get behind a Langford/Hynes with 19 (blows out to 23/24) and then Shanahan with the next pick

Can’t see us going two talls, in fact I’d be shocked if we do even if one is what you call a hybrid half forward. Armstrong or Shanahan and then take whatever small and there’s a few.

Travgalia as that ultimate defender utility would appeal for sure. You know my thoughts on these types though. Josh Murphy as a tall would be around the range.

Can’t see us going two talls, in fact I’d be shocked if we do even if one is what you call a hybrid half forward. Armstrong or Shanahan and then take whatever small and there’s a few.

Travgalia as that ultimate defender utility would appeal for sure. You know my thoughts on these types though. Josh Murphy as a tall would be around the range.
Are we just forgetting that we literally have no marking forwards outside of Hayward not even a backup and you want more talls that take time to develop? Langford and Hynes are also playing alot of their junior football on ball so they would be perfect for us.

Are we just forgetting that we literally have no marking forwards outside of Hayward not even a backup and you want more talls that take time to develop? Langford and Hynes are also playing alot of their junior football on ball so they would be perfect for us.

You aren’t going to convince me on Langford gut feel here. Hynes maybe he’d be in the mix if we go that way. I’d prefer a key tall and a mid

You aren’t going to convince me on Langford gut feel here. Hynes maybe he’d be in the mix if we go that way. I’d prefer a key tall and a mid
Why do we need a mid? We literally have:
Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Mills, Parker, Sheldrick, Cleary, Kirk, Mitchell all as full time on ballers

We also have wingers and half forwards that can play on ball in: Gulden, Mcinerney, Jordon, Adams, Warner, Hanily

Why do we need a mid? We literally have:
Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Mills, Parker, Sheldrick, Cleary, Kirk, Mitchell all as full time on ballers

We also have wingers and half forwards that can play on ball in: Gulden, Mcinerney, Jordon, Adams, Warner, Hanily

Sheldrick probably leaves for starters, Parker has a year left. Might need one

Sheldrick probably leaves for starters, Parker has a year left. Might need one
15 guys there and we realistically need like 6 or 7. And we also have King coming next year and Conrad in 2026 just from our academy. Don't see a real need to draft a mid and if we needed to draft a mid this year we could just take the academy captain in Harrison with a rookie pick

I think given our current best 25 or so drafting near readymade but not top quality players may be a bit of a mistake. In most cases it will take a while for players to break in unless they are absolute guns and they will get restless.
Taking Cleary, Snell and Green was smart as all will need to serve an apprenticeship but have really good basics to work with. Likewise Hanily I hope.
Taking someone who is good enough to force their way in early is fine but they are unicorns with our picks.
The upshot to me is that:
1) We will take Cochran with 56 plus maybe future 4th or whatever who might end up decent at either end of the ground and will be OK serving that apprenticeship.
2) We will fiddle with our first round picks and take the best available tall or medium tallish forward as the biggest gap in our list who will.also develop for a while.
3) We will use 74 to senior list a rookie or pass or heaven only knows depending on system changes.
Having Sheldrick, Roberts, Cleary, Mitchell and Warner, even possibly Campbell, our midfield depth is pretty good so it's not a need. Assuming Roberts or Campbell are not best 22 by year end.

15 guys there and we realistically need like 6 or 7. And we also have King coming next year and Conrad in 2026 just from our academy. Don't see a real need to draft a mid and if we needed to draft a mid this year we could just take the academy captain in Harrison with a rookie pick

Best available smallish player I’d be happy with, looking for a small defender late in the draft. I’d go a key forward at 19/20 though

I am going to preface this by saying I do not want to lose Warner, but I also believe if we as a club believe he wants to go home I would rather trade him at the end of 2024 than wait until the end of 2025 when we have considerably less leverage.
I would prefer we do as we did with Papley, hold him to his contract, while working to convince him to stay the distance. I struggle to believe that the pull of home is that strong. But I do get your point.

I am going to preface this by saying I do not want to lose Warner, but I also believe if we as a club believe he wants to go home I would rather trade him at the end of 2024 than wait until the end of 2025 when we have considerably less leverage.
I don't think Warner has any intention of leaving, but if he did asked to be traded to WA at the end of the year then we would be silly to not to at least listen to offers. Doesn't mean you have to do a deal.

It would take a massive offer to move him while under contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say I don't feel it for this year's draft. Over the last few years, there's been players, whether academy or otherwise, that the prospect of signing has really excited me. As an example, last year I was big on O'Sullivan and obviously Cleary. O'Sullivan because he filled an obvious need for us, Cleary as he was a well performed academy kid. Maybe my lack of excitement is a sign of the current strength of our list but I do feel like there's no real obvious must have players for us.

I’ll take the one more elite year of an A grade player thanks unless the trade would be substantially in our favour and start with Serong or something.

I’ll take the one more elite year of an A grade player thanks unless the trade would be substantially in our favour and start with Serong or something.
I really hope we wouldn't go down the Dodoro path of asking for something that is never going to be offered, when both Fremantle and West Coast have enough picks to make huge offers for Warner.

I really hope we wouldn't go down the Dodoro path of asking for something that is never going to be offered, when both Fremantle and West Coast have enough picks to make huge offers for Warner.

They hardly do, West Coast might though but I’d want two firsts. Freo hardly do, and don’t tell me mid first rounders are value they aren’t. Warner is worth a top 5 selection.

They hardly do, West Coast might though but I’d want two firsts. Freo hardly do, and don’t tell me mid first rounders are value they aren’t. Warner is worth a top 5 selection.
7, 10, and 14 from Freo would be up there with the biggest trade hauls in history for a player.

Pick 2 + a future 1st from West Coast would be the biggest trade haul in history for a player.

So I don't know what 'they hardly do' means.

7, 10, and 14 from Freo would be up there with the biggest trade hauls in history for a player.

Pick 2 + a future 1st from West Coast would be the biggest trade haul in history for a player.

So I don't know what 'they hardly do' means.

Add at least two if not more to that first figure for Freo there’s academy and FS and whatever around that area. The Freo deal is rubbish and even if we lose for less I’d take Warner for another year over that. Three middling picks is hardly some fantastic haul.

West Coast would be a mile better. Even one of their firsts is better than all 3 from Freo

And ESPN’s July rankings

Not surprised to see Hamish Davis appear on the list.

I reckon with his rate of development, he could readily end up in our pick range (end of 1st round).

I knew it was going to head this way. NGA's, especially in traditional states are a complete and utter box ticking exercise. No effort, all reward.

The AFL are completely incompetent if they fall for this one
You want rorts?

James Borlase at Adelaide was selected under the NGA system. His father was a premiership captain at Port Adelaide where he played 246 games and his mother represented Australia 70 times at netball. His parents moved to Egypt for work and James was born there then moved back to Adelaide a COUPLE OF MONTHS after he was born.

There, ladies and gentlemen, is the NGA system. And they complain about a FS in our academy...

Thought I'd have a look back at that 2022 live trade we did:

Hawthorn Receive:

• Pick 18 (Josh Weddle)

Sydney Receive:

• Pick 27 (Cooper Vickery)

• 2023 Second Round Pick (Hawthorn): Traded alongside Dylan Stephens.
In Return: Pick 44 (bid matched for Caiden Cleary) & End of 1st Round Pick PP (North, TBC)

• 2023 Third Round Pick (Hawthorn): Brodie Grundy

Hawks got Josh Weddle.

Sydney got Cooper Vickery, Caiden Cleary, Grundy and an End of 1st Round Pick (TBC).

We would’ve got Cleary and Grundy done regardless of whether this trade occurred or not

We would’ve got Cleary and Grundy done regardless of whether this trade occurred or not

Sure but we didn't rate/want Weddle anyway. We gambled that Ed Allen would have slipped. He didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back