List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be more in total.
Buller returns from LTI and is contracted so extending Hanily needs a spot.
If it's 5 to draft then we would need six in total.
Sam is one.
Five to go. Ouch.
Uncontracted, my idea:

Senior
Cunningham delist and rookie?
Francis delist and rookie?
Konstanty delist
Mitchell
Vickery delist

Rookie
Arnold delist
Hanily extend
Kirk
Magor delist
McAndrew probably need to upgrade

Trade Ladhams

That gives you 4 senior list spots for the national draft and one rookie spot.
Harry is still playing good footy. Any danger in a team pinching him if we de-list, just like Norf did to GC with Greenwood?

Harry is still playing good footy. Any danger in a team pinching him if we de-list, just like Norf did to GC with Greenwood?
Good point! True of Francis too, if we were to go that way. Not sure how else we can create the senior list spots unless we can find someone else who is under contract to trade out. They would need to have enough value that someone would want them and they would need to want to go. Sheldrick and Ladhams are the only ones who spring to mind as possibly wanting to leave for more opportunity.
No way we would just delist Harry. No chance! Francis less certain but he still seems next cab off the rank for now ahead of Hamling.
We will want to keep a good level of experience while we're contenders.

Good point! True of Francis too, if we were to go that way. Not sure how else we can create the senior list spots unless we can find someone else who is under contract to trade out. They would need to have enough value that someone would want them and they would need to want to go. Sheldrick and Ladhams are the only ones who spring to mind as possibly wanting to leave for more opportunity.
No way we would just delist Harry. No chance! Francis less certain but he still seems next cab off the rank for now ahead of Hamling.
We will want to keep a good level of experience while we're contenders.
1. Pretty sure we can still take on 1 more main list spot as we are at 37 and the max is 38 so that would effectively be done by delisting a rookie and drafting someone.
2. Konstanty, Vickery and Francis could all leaving again opening up the opportunity to have 4 main list spots open and then probably a rookie spot with other rookie spots that get vacated.
3. Also could add the fact that Ladhams could move for #1 ruck time or to play in a ruck duo at another club given how poor some of the ruck stocks at clubs have become in recent months

1. Pretty sure we can still take on 1 more main list spot as we are at 37 and the max is 38 so that would effectively be done by delisting a rookie and drafting someone.
2. Konstanty, Vickery and Francis could all leaving again opening up the opportunity to have 4 main list spots open and then probably a rookie spot with other rookie spots that get vacated.
3. Also could add the fact that Ladhams could move for #1 ruck time or to play in a ruck duo at another club given how poor some of the ruck stocks at clubs have become in recent months
My patience with Ladhams has gone. I'd be willing to pay the bulk of his final year to move him on at seasons end. Yes, I know it leaves us thin but between Stretch, Green, Mclean, Amartey and Buller, we could cover Grundy.

It will be more in total.
Buller returns from LTI and is contracted so extending Hanily needs a spot.
If it's 5 to draft then we would need six in total.
Sam is one.
Five to go. Ouch.
Uncontracted, my idea:

Senior
Cunningham delist and rookie?
Francis delist and rookie?
Konstanty delist
Mitchell
Vickery delist

Rookie
Arnold delist
Hanily extend
Kirk
Magor delist
McAndrew probably need to upgrade

Trade Ladhams

That gives you 4 senior list spots for the national draft and one rookie spot.

Vickery is the one who I have changed my opinion on lately.

I think he has potential to be a good small defender.

I'd be expecting green to at least play a handful of games next year, increasing the year after and then ready to take over from Grundy in 2027.

Ladhams isn't required
Ladhams would only be required if Grundy went down for a long period unless we just go with Mclean in the ruck and then have Amartey/McDonald as the secondary rucks and play Hamling up forward.

I'd be expecting green to at least play a handful of games next year, increasing the year after and then ready to take over from Grundy in 2027.

Ladhams isn't required
Green looks an absolute mile off.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that he might debut next year - but at the moment, he’d be waaaaaaay out of his depth at AFL level.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that he might debut next year - but at the moment, he’d be waaaaaaay out of his depth at AFL level.
Yep he should only play as a last resort in 2025. I would say 2025 he starts as a solo ruck half the time or so in the VFL and as a duo with Ladhams/McAndrew the other half and then in 26 he should be solo rucking in the VFL. 27 is when he should be pushing Grundy who will be 33 that year and Green will be 22 that year so hopefully thats when the changeover occurs

Here's my first stab in the dark on the 2024 OOC's:

RE-SIGN (all 1 year)
Harry Cunningham
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Tom Hanily (Cat A Rookie - MSD Selection)

DELIST/TRADE
Aaron Francis
Jacob Konstanty
Cooper Vickery

Cannot call it either way (yet)
Caleb Mitchell
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)

RE-SIGN (all 1 year)
Harry Cunningham

DELIST/TRADE
Aaron Francis
Jacob Konstanty
Cooper Vickery

Caleb Mitchell
Vickery is a tough one now. A month ago, he would be a delist. But he has been playing some good footy recently. It would be interesting to see what the club has planned for him.

Vickery is a tough one now. A month ago, he would be a delist. But he has been playing some good footy recently. It would be interesting to see what the club has planned for him.
I’d say the odds are against him.

Plenty of players have spent 2 years in the VFL, started to look kinda OK, but still been delisted. Will Gould, HHK, Rankin and Sheather were all in that category last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - a genuine toss-up, but his last few games have been pretty average

Magor however seems to have stepped up in the last month or so

Yep. Next year sharing VFL, 2026 after Ladhams finishes main VFL, 2027 building up to AFL, 2028 AFL first ruck. Both building the skills and the body. If Ladhams is traded we keep McAndrew, possibly the last contract signed.

RE-SIGN (all 1 year)
Harry Cunningham

DELIST/TRADE
Aaron Francis
Jacob Konstanty
Cooper Vickery

Caleb Mitchell
RE-SIGN (all 1 year)
Harry Cunningham
Aaron Francis

DELIST/TRADE
Jacob Konstanty
Cooper Vickery

Cannot call it either way but like re-sign
Caleb Mitchell

BTW on Gettable, Kinnear said we are likely to bring in 5 players, main list plus rookies. Unless something changes that.

RE-SIGN (all 1 year)
Harry Cunningham
Aaron Francis

DELIST/TRADE
Jacob Konstanty
Cooper Vickery

Caleb Mitchell

BTW on Gettable, Kinnear said we are likely to bring in 5 players, main list plus rookies. Unless something changes that.
With Buller coming off the LTI that cancels out Reid's retirement so for 5 in the draft you're still one delist/trade out short.
I agree with your "re-signs" but someone else needs to go or we only draft 4 (quite possible).

Sad but true. How has Gould gone in the SANFL?
Just did a speed read of the Bests in their (Glenelg's) match reports for the year. He was only mentioned once.

James Bell on the other hand, in their bests most games.

Glenelg sit 3rd behind the great Marty Mattner's (pictured left) Sturt in 2nd, who are also featuring former Swans Academy and VFL player Angus Anderson. Matt Ling's Norwood is on top.

Sad but true. How has Gould gone in the SANFL?
Pretty average. Last I saw, was playing as a forward / ruck, low possession count, odd goal. Looks to have lost alot of condition. Real shame he didn't come on as he did have some skill and seemed a good bloke.

RE-SIGN (all 1 year)
Harry Cunningham

DELIST/TRADE
Jacob Konstanty
Aaron Francis

Cooper Vickery
Caleb Mitchell

Here is how i would put it, Means that 2 more guys are most likely going to need to go as i think we bring in 5 guys whether that be through the draft or veterans/older players on low salary. I personally think that Edwards will be ready when called upon next year and that will give us 4 good KPD and then Snell should be ready the year following even covering us for when Rampe retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back