• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure they all sat down at afl house last Monday, had a couple of coffees and flew back to Sydney a couple of hours later.
Business as usual for the Swans then during trade period

To be fair we couldn't really do much as we needed to hold all future assets for the academy boys next year, and no sane list manager is going to blow up the list.
Why stockpile assets to match bids on kids who may never be as good as players we could actually try to bring in with those assets?

Mills and Heeney are great success stories but I sometimes wonder if this tunnel vision we have for academy prospects is detrimental.

Why stockpile assets to match bids on kids who may never be as good as players we could actually try to bring in with those assets?

Mills and Heeney are great success stories but I sometimes wonder if this tunnel vision we have for academy prospects is detrimental.
If the academy kids are good enough you will get the deals done to acquire them. Most other academy teams aren’t as conservative as we are in regards to points banking

We have 2 FRPs already in the draft. There isn't a player out there that wants to come to Sydney currently in the league. So how do we manoeuvre around to do anything when we don't need midfielders currently as we have Cleary, Sheldrick and Adams all mids that didn't play in the grand final team and also Mills that could play midfield if injury free. Not much we can move to tbh given the situation

Lions did this trade so that they can get the points from the Sharp deal on due to tight list spots. In the end it gives them another 50 points if my maths is correct.

Need it for Ascroft and Marshall bids.

Could let Marshall go if not enough points...

I remember an interview a few years ago with Kinnear Beatson talking about matching the bid for Callum Mills. Following that, he said that if a club bids on an academy player and we decline that bid, he wishes that we were able to have the pick immediately following that bid. That would make things interesting. I wonder if we would've taken Mills if that were the case.

I'm sure you do

Trainor is a concussion question mark, be furious if we traded up for that sort of risk.

We've uncovered what, 1 starting player in our last 3 drafts... we need multiple draft hits, and soon
My logic:

1. Every year, the board lights up because our first-round pick is a "reach". And recent history shows our reaches generally don't work out. A few months back, Trainor was widely regarded as a top 5 (or at least top 10) pick. ESPN was even talking about him as a potential no.1. He's slid a bit in most phantom drafts - but its not because the size, speed or talent has gone.

2. He fills our most pressing need & area of risk - tall defender. Rampe is nearly out the door, McCartin is potentially one head-knock away from the end. Melican has dodgy hammies. Snell may or may not emerge. I don't have the same faith in Edwards as some others on here.

3. The chance of him being a bust is minimal, as he has all the physical attributes, coupled with footy nous.

If we were trying to get up to Pick 13, it just makes sense that Trainor might be the target.

My logic:

1. Every year, the board lights up because our first-round pick is a "reach". And recent history shows our reaches generally don't work out. A few months back, Trainor was widely regarded as a top 5 (or at least top 10) pick. ESPN was even talking about him as a potential no.1. He's slid a bit in most phantom drafts - but its not because the size, speed or talent has gone.

2. He fills our most pressing need & area of risk - tall defender. Rampe is nearly out the door, McCartin is potentially one head-knock away from the end. Melican has dodgy hammies. Snell may or may not emerge. I don't have the same faith in Edwards as some others on here.

3. The chance of him being a bust is minimal, as he has all the physical attributes, coupled with footy nous.

If we were trying to get up to Pick 13, it just makes sense that Trainor might be the target.
Your second point doesn't make logical sense. You have said that Snell and Edwards are a risk but Trainor with his injuries and him being a draftee that needs to develop isn't a risk?? Also forgotten about Cochran who plays the exact same role that we effectively get for free?

Also doesn't make logical sense on the grounds of saying that McCartin is one head knock away from retirement but Trainor is fine even though the reason he slide is because of concussion issues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My logic:

Why has he slid?

Is his strength lockdown defending or intercepting?

He is also sliding because of concussion issues, it isn't skill based or performance based slide

Not many taking selections need defenders either but yes it's not talent reasons he may slide a fraction. Probably goes between lets say 10-15

Not many taking selections need defenders either but yes it's not talent reasons he may slide a fraction. Probably goes between lets say 10-15
Still don't think we should be taking him when one of his main weaknesses is being a lockdown type of defender. He is literally Blakey 2.0 and we get a free stab at that with Cochran. If we were to trade up i would be doing it to get Tauru

Still don't think we should be taking him when one of his main weaknesses is being a lockdown type of defender. He is literally Blakey 2.0 and we get a free stab at that with Cochran. If we were to trade up i would be doing it to get Tauru

I wouldn't be taking him as a lockdown, purely and simply a replacement for Rampe. I'd prefer us to trade up for Hotton though personally.

I wouldn't be taking him as a lockdown, purely and simply a replacement for Rampe. I'd prefer us to trade up for Hotton though personally.
I think Hotton is a very good shout and mock that i have seen basically either GWS or WBD take Hotton or Hynes and we may get one that falls to us but Hotton is a guy that i think could be the slider we want

I remember an interview a few years ago with Kinnear Beatson talking about matching the bid for Callum Mills. Following that, he said that if a club bids on an academy player and we decline that bid, he wishes that we were able to have the pick immediately following that bid. That would make things interesting. I wonder if we would've taken Mills if that were the case.
Don't know. I'm glad we did though

Didn’t know membrey wasn’t offered a contract at al

Pies bound apparently

I guess what I will say is the Saints forwardline did have one too many talls, so one had to go, and they were never trading King. Get games into King, Ownens, Sharman and their smalls. Was either trade King for a bounty and they wouldn't have got what they would expect for him or trade/delist Membrey.

I doubt we take a tall defender.

We lack forwards.

I think Hotton is a very good shout and mock that i have seen basically either GWS or WBD take Hotton or Hynes and we may get one that falls to us but Hotton is a guy that i think could be the slider we want

Was the standout no1 pick 12 months ago, there is a risk but I'm warming to if we trade up take the guy with the most upside. We do have Cochran in for free (despite my rating of him). If we got Hotton, Cohrane and a random small forward i'd be happy

I wouldn't mind seeing us swoop on someone like Membrey, or Lukosius since that trade has fallen over. Not remotely expecting it to happen.

I'm with the consensus that WCE gave up pick 3 too easily. Conversely EFC did well out of pick 9.

Can't believe GCS will give picks 6 AND 23 for Rioli. FMD! Richmond making out like bandits. However they have a rebuild in front of them. They have totally screwed over Hopper and Taranto.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back