• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's see. I doubt it but we'll find out soon enough.

This would be the time, player and team to dare the top 5 to take him. I'd sit tight and mention the go-home factor. No one is blowing a top 5 in this draft on a flight risk. Richmond now have 3 1st rounders to choose from in next year's draft, tough sh!t for holding out, 6 now off the table. C'mon GC, you can do it!

Rioli is getting pick 6 it’s just whether it’s 6 and a second or just 6, probably depends where the bids are expected but if it’s just being consumed by a bid it is a who cares pick for GC

I'm not sure that at this time last year, many thought that James Jordon would turn out to be the valuable player he ended up being?

Many did. Pretty sure I said at the time he’s be very solid

Many did. Pretty sure I said at the time he’s be very solid
People were assuming he would be in the VFL for some reason. Maybe earlier injuries helped, but he played a fair bit for the Dees (in a previously good side), and wouldn't have joined if he thought he wasn't in our 22 plans. Got closer to a flag than most of our guys (Goodwin is a knob for not subbing him in).

He might have wondered why we picked up Adams as well, and gulped a bit when we said Heeney was going into the mids, but it worked out.

People were assuming he would be in the VFL for some reason. Maybe earlier injuries helped, but he played a fair bit for the Dees, and wouldn't have joined if he thought he wasn't in our 22 plans.

He might have wondered why we picked up Adams as well, and gulped a bit when we said Heeney was going into the mids, but it worked out.

Yeah agree with everything there and Konstanty going full WWE on Mills definitely opened the door for a more obvious role there

If we trade up before draft night it's likely we have a handful of players we like and are confident at least one will be left. Too deep into the draft to be certain

Personally, I want some electric prick that can outmark anyone

Hopefully he's on the list

Yeah, they'd be options sure.

But I'm thinking of it from their perspective.

Like with others such as Kennedy whose partner is likely from Vic and they have a young family, so he'd stay at Blues or go to another Vic club.

Has to be a clear spot and/or some other reason.

For Grundy it was to be clear #1 ruck, Adams saw an opening in our midfield (before Heeney ruined that a bit) and wasn't entirely happy with the Pies, Jordon was a childhood Swans fan who may have been sold on the idea of a tagging role (we'd also just come off a mediocre year, and he didn't have Heeney or Adams or a Maginness to flip it, to think about yet).
That's fair enough, though I think when there is a will, there is a way. If we can't sell these average fringe players on our interest in them as a grand finalist with brand new, best-in-the-country facilities, then it could be because they are very stubborn and set on staying where they are. Or it could be either because we're not very good at it or we're just not that interested.

Both would be disappointing if that was the case.

But I think we have serious holes in the team/list, that I don't trust Horse & co to fill unless there are decent options to do so. My worry is if the options aren't there then Horse won't change much.

That's fair enough, though I think when there is a will, there is a way. If we can't sell these average fringe players on our interest in them as a grand finalist with brand new, best-in-the-country facilities, then it could be because they are very stubborn and set on staying where they are. Or it could be either because we're not very good at it or we're just not that interested.

But I think we have serious holes in the team/list, that I don't trust Horse & co to fill unless there are decent options to do so. My worry is if the options aren't there then Horse won't change much.

Paying the Sydney tax for average/fringe players is a good way to eat the cap and get nowhere

Yeah agree with everything there and Konstanty going full WWE on Mills definitely opened the door for a more obvious role there
We/he knew about that, but the calf injury keeping Mills out and Parker injured as well too.

Still, some things changed after we got him that weren't in his favour, but the conversation we had with him would not have been "we know you're already playing a fair bit for a team that recently won a flag, but we'd like you to come play VFL in case a winger goes down".

My argument is though that they may not see better opportunities with us, in terms of being in the 22. So why move?

That and they may actually look at our grand final performances and prefer to be at a club that doesn't humiliate itself repeatedly on the biggest stage. Both Garcia and Maginness at clubs that made finals and have won flag(s) since our last.

Paying the Sydney tax for average/fringe players is a good way to eat the cap and get nowhere
I think the same could've been, and was, said about James Jordon though.

It's always a flip of a coin with such players, but it's a relatively cheap flip of a coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always a flip of a coin with such players, but it's a relatively cheap flip of a coin.
Probably slightly underselling a 22yo who had played 47 games in his first 2 years after getting into a very good Dees side.

I was optimistic about Jordon. I'm just saying that there were plenty who thought he was just an average fringe player acquisition.
So was I. I think the trick is to not really pay attention to other people unless they provide some substance to their opinions.

May not always turn out right, but at least it's not throwing darts blindfolded and still sometimes hitting the board.

I think he was targeted because of a lack of opportunity, not because we were flipping average or fringe players players for the hell of it

Why pay M Kennedy 10% more to be the known average quantity he is

I think he was targeted because of a lack of opportunity, not because we were flipping average or fringe players players for the hell of it

Why pay M Kennedy 10% more to be the known average quantity he is
I'm only interested in Garcia and Maginness because I think we can give them opportunities to be better than what they've shown. If it was based only on what they've shown then I would not be interested.

So was I. I think the trick is to not really pay attention to other people unless they provide some substance to their opinions.

May not always turn out right, but at least it's not throwing darts blindfolded and still sometimes hitting the board.
I think they can sometimes be the right kind of player to target because they'll often be willing to bust their gut for an opportunity and to take advantage of a "fresh start" as they often say. It won't always net the results hoped for - ie. Francis evidently has bought in and works hard, but it hasn't changed that he's just not quite good enough for the level. But when it works, you can end up with a quality player who will do any role or job asked of him with full commitment. Who wouldn't want someone like that on their list?!

I'm only interested in Garcia and Maginness because I think we can give them opportunities to be better than what they've shown. If it was based only on what they've shown then I would not be interested.

So what's the argument for Maginess because I see a contracted Victorian tagger that we'll have to overpay picks wise and salary wise

He's still an unknown quantity and has a big body so worth over paying to see if he takes massive steps?

So what's the argument for Maginess because I see a contracted Victorian tagger that we'll have to overpay picks wise and salary wise

He's still an unknown quantity and has a big body so worth over paying to see if he takes massive steps?
I don't know that we'd have to overpay salary wise. Picks-wise I'm not bothered about. I think Maginness would be more likely to impact more than an 18 year old next year.

He fills a need in that he can be a tagger, but is also contested ball-winner who hasn't had much opportunity to be that at Hawthorn.

It's a moot point anyway as he's not leaving Hawthorn.

I don't know that we'd have to overpay salary wise. Picks-wise I'm not bothered about. I think Maginness would be more likely to impact more than an 18 year old next year.

He fills a need in that he can be a tagger, but is also contested ball-winner who hasn't had much opportunity to be that at Hawthorn.

It's a moot point anyway as he's not leaving Hawthorn.

Imo I don't think you can expect Maginess to move from Victoria rn unless the money is good.

And the picks are important for the academy atm because that's where we can get average and fringe players without being taken to the cleaners

But of course, targetting players that will be better with us is something I hope the list managers are aware of and I hope questions are being asked to the right players constantly. But no thanks to Vic depth for the hell of it I guess. That's what Adams is for

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back