Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick history with what we will likely have (push both back 4 spots

Pick 23: Petrie, Gardiner, Ferguson, Moody, Russling, Cook, Stuart, Pears, Zaharakis, Stevens, Cam Guthrie, Murray Newman, Paparone, Matt Crouch, Steele, Cunningham, Witherden, Walker, Mclennan, Dyl Williams, Mcinnes, Butler

Some rippers in there with Petrie, Zaharakis, Gutrie, Crouch and Steele

Pick 26: Briss, Rogers, Jared Rivers, Mcconnell, Little, Ibbotson, Shane Edwards, Meredith, Post, Coyler, Darling, Elton, Viney, Merrett, Toby Mclean, Collins, Parfitt, Liam Ryan, West, Gould, Mcleod-allison, Connor Mcdonald

Good picks as well with RIvers, Darling, Viney (Shennigans) and Ryan

Very much a mixed bag

Probably more in the ‘way forward’ thread. However, our GF performance certainly does make one evaluate the shape and composition of the team and overall list leading into the draft. Otherwise, we’re doomed of repeating the cycle…again.
I posted this in May of 2022

I don't think some have truly come to terms with the fact that the current team that is so reliant on it's senior core playing key roles (Hickey, Buddy, Rampe, JPK, maybe Parker, Lloyd, Cunningham) and the future team with our young core finally in their primes will not coincide.

I'm a massive fan of our core nucleus of youngsters - McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Warner, McDonald, Campbell and Gulden - but they're gonna be trying to get us a flag in a very different-looking Swans team to the one at present.

I'm just not sure we've aligned the generations correctly, if such a thing is even possible.

Although some of the names have changed, I still feel this could be a potential problem. It's exciting that so many of our best players are young players who we are gonna be able to enjoy for close to or over the next decade. But there's this whole other portion of players who are also still among our best/most important - Mills, Heeney, Papley, Lloyd, Grundy, Cunningham, Rampe. I would argue the latter four are still more important than we maybe want them to be given they're over 30. For example we look horrible in defence every time Rampe doesn't play, there is no obvious replacement who can do what Cunningham does to his level (besides maybe Fox, who is also over 30.) The only Grundy replacements on the list are the wildly unreliable Ladhams and the teenage Green, still in his baby-giraffe stage. And who knows how much longer we have the primes of Heeney, Mills & Papley?

So whilst we may think we have this great crop of young players for the next decade, my concern is that if they don't win a flag in the next year or so, they're gonna spend the better part of that decade trying to win one without a lot of very good players. It makes missed opportunities like this year and 2022 so very costly.

Pick history with what we will likely have (push both back 4 spots

Pick 23: Petrie, Gardiner, Ferguson, Moody, Russling, Cook, Stuart, Pears, Zaharakis, Stevens, Cam Guthrie, Murray Newman, Paparone, Matt Crouch, Steele, Cunningham, Witherden, Walker, Mclennan, Dyl Williams, Mcinnes, Butler

Some rippers in there with Petrie, Zaharakis, Gutrie, Crouch and Steele

Pick 26: Briss, Rogers, Jared Rivers, Mcconnell, Little, Ibbotson, Shane Edwards, Meredith, Post, Coyler, Darling, Elton, Viney, Merrett, Toby Mclean, Collins, Parfitt, Liam Ryan, West, Gould, Mcleod-allison, Connor Mcdonald

Good picks as well with RIvers, Darling, Viney (Shennigans) and Ryan

Very much a mixed bag
Our 9 previous selections at 23 and 26 in the draft accounted for 67 games and 47 games came from Doyle drafted in 99

This guy could talk underwater. Good watch.

Little shocked with the Dattoli call because i think there are plenty of quantity of young small forwards on our list. Think there were other needs or other possible selections that could have mocked at the pick there that would benefit the side the most but it is only a mock draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could do a lot worse.

Hard to go past Hynes as a pick for that will have a high floor if he's available IMO. - and might get games next year too if we wanted to get a bit more mobile than our three talls.
190 cm, athletic, plays forward or middle. Starts off forward no doubt but can have a few spells in the middle.
Tend to think Hynes and a Whitlock would be a good and balanced return. A LT need and a player with the athletic and ball getting numbers to suggest early games.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back