Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust me no he wouldn’t. Another that’s a great VFL footballer
Strongly disagree. He's an odd one - improved season on season and had a very very good 22 season, was dropped for finals despite good performances, made the GF by default, and for whatever reason fell out of favour at that point. Despite that every time he was included the bloke cracked in. Bit hard to find consistency being in and out of the team the last 2 seasons. He definitely ain't no average Quentin Narkle, Parfitt is a quality player. He's by far and away the best out of favour mid, and there are players across the league who are very lucky to have a contract if Parfitt's situation is anything to go by, would take him over guys like McCrae and Matt Kennedy, plus he's still young. The bloke was posting upto 10 tackles a game consistently, and knows how to find the pill.

I get that something must've been off for him to fall out of favour, but we all know Scott is happily inclined to play a rotating roster which wouldn't have helped his cause.

Last edited:
IF Mills can recapture his 2022 form and do a 75% facsimile of what Heeney did this year

IF that frees Heeney up to go forward and kick 40+ goals

IF McDonald, McLean and Amartey improve just 5%

IF Rampe only declines 5%

IF just 1 of Sheldrick, Cleary or Adams can come in and give us some grunt around the contest.

IF Gulden can elevate his poor games to just decent.

IF Campbell brings his late season form in the new season.

IF everyone else just does what they did last season.

THEN we will be top 4 and every chance of a flag.

There are a lot of IFs up there, but every one of them are achievable. I know that "improvement from within" is a bit of a joke when you flop during the trade period, but I think it's the case for us.

The catch cry has been that we were too soft in the middle - and we were - but in the absence of Cripps, Petracca and Rowell walking through the door, our best chance there is for marginal improvement, coupled with marginal improvement up forward. If our backline can just give us a similar year to this one, those marginal uplifts can put us over the top.
Aside from midfield grunt, which I think we can address at least partially within our list and can still address at the draft/SSP, our grand final wasn't talent related.

I also don't agree with those who say our trade period was a flop. What do we actually need, who was available and gives us that, is it reasonable to think they specifically would move to Sydney all need to be take into account etc. Because if people expect it'll always be like last year or just don't factor in the reality of our circumstances, then I guess we're in for continued whining (not you).

Campbell is fine, but it won't matter if the coaches keep using him as a 2nd or 3rd stringer around the ground instead of giving him a role/position to make his own.

Strongly disagree. He's an odd one - improved season on season and had a very very good 22 season, was dropped for finals despite good performances, made the GF by default, and for whatever reason fell out of favour at that point. Despite that every time he was included the bloke cracked in. Bit hard to find consistency being in and out of the team the last 2 seasons. He definitely ain't no average Quentin Narkle, Parfitt is a quality player. He's by far and away the best out of favour mid, and there are players across the league who are very lucky to have a contract if Parfitt's situation is anything to go by, would take him over guys like McCrae and Matt Kennedy, plus he's still young. The bloke was posting upto 10 tackles a game consistently, and knows how to find the pill.

I get that something must've been off for him to fall out of favour, but we all know Scott is happily inclined to play a rotating roster which wouldn't have helped his cause.
Roster i hate how these yank terms creep in

He is not good enough slow and everything about his is C to D grade ask Cats fans what they think of him I ain’t wrong when Tanner Bruhn is better that’s says it. Parfitt tries but that’s where it ends

Can find the ball and tackle a fair bit for a slow player.

He is ultra slow fitted the game 5+ years ago he’s not even remotely the target we should be going for. Adams would be one of our slowest he’s Usuain Bolt compared to Parfitt

premiership player, +100 AFL games. Much better than VFL level

Only played in that premiership due to injury. He’s fine but he’s slow as. Exactly the opposite of the way we need our midfield. Plus why when we need to get games into Sheldrick plus Mills back in the guts.

Only played in that premiership due to injury. He’s fine but he’s slow as. Exactly the opposite of the way we need our midfield. Plus why when we need to get games into Sheldrick plus Mills back in the guts.
Do we need quicker players or just ones who crack in and do the basics well? Rowbum needs a hand in there because our quick players are so quick that they disappear at times. Our GF highlighted lack of balls in the contest, not speed. And it's funny how quick slow players can look when you're winning the ball at the coal face - and vice versa

Parfitt is a solid contested ball player.

I hope we target key position players in the draft (unless we think there is an explosive mid / forward that we just can’t give up).

They’ll take a while to develop but I think we have the time. Our list is already mid and winger heavy, and we can always convert these players to mid and small sized defenders and forwards as needed. Our spine is our weakness and unfortunately it takes time to correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need players who can add grunt. If the worst is he is backup to Sheldrick and Mills than he is still exactly who we need

Do we need quicker players or just ones who crack in and do the basics well? Rowbum needs a hand in there because our quick players are so quick that they disappear at times. Our GF highlighted lack of balls in the contest, not speed. And it's funny how quick slow players can look when you're winning the ball at the coal face - and vice versa

Parfitt is a solid contested ball player.

We have two inside mids coming in next year in Mills and Sheldrick, plis maybe Horse has grown a pair and realised Adams is there too. We don't need a C grade at best inside mid who can't play anywhere else. Hey if those two are out would rather give Cleary some time inside

We need players who can add grunt. If the worst is he is backup to Sheldrick and Mills than he is still exactly who we need

Mills and Sheldrick next year. We really missed a fit Mills in the inside this year. Key word being fit.

We have two inside mids coming in next year in Mills and Sheldrick, plis maybe Horse has grown a pair and realised Adams is there too. We don't need a C grade at best inside mid who can't play anywhere else. Hey if those two are out would rather give Cleary some time inside
You have significantly more confidence than I do that Mills will be healthy and Longmire will play Sheldrick when he is healthy.

My guess is that our round 1 centre bounce midfield next year will be Heeney, Rowbottom, and Warner/Gulden.

And by Round 6 the coaches will be saying 'we don't understand why we keep starting slowly?!?!?!?'

You have significantly more confidence than I do that Mills will be healthy and Longmire will play Sheldrick when he is healthy.

My guess is that our round 1 centre bounce midfield next year will be Heeney, Rowbottom, and Warner/Gulden.

And by Round 6 the coaches will be saying 'we don't understand why we keep starting slowly?!?!?!?'

I have some faith that the GF was that bad Horse realises he needs to change the mid settup

I would hope we play younger players like Edwards this year if injury strikes and Francis is a true 'break glass' option only to be used if there are 3-4 KP injuries.
Even if he is better than the youngsters atm, playing Francis now is counter productive to getting us where we need to go.He's not going to be a solution in finals, so we need to prioritise the development over young players who might be.
If our selection committee don't understand that by now then they should all be sacked.
I want to see players, like Francis, who are just there but not quite good enough out of our squad. Ladhams & Francis are both not good enough. Let's develop the young guys. Edwards has proven to be a pretty good player. Green needs more ruck time. I am astounded they decided on retaining Ladhams over Big Mac. In his only game last season he had 10 HO, 6 Dis & 2 Marks, 2 tackles. Not just disappointing terrible. In 2023, Big Mac played 2 games. He had 27 HO, 12 dis, 2 marks & 6 tackles.

I do not think our younger players are developing as they should be. We drafted 2 small forwards in the same draft, Konstanty & Magor (a Rookie). Both have now gone. Magor was played at half back. Konstanty was always injured. We drafted a small forward/mid in the mid season draft, Tom Hanily, will they play him at Full Back? I just don't get why we draft for a need & then don't play them there. We needed to have a small small forward ready to go this year when both Papley & Wicks were out. But there was nobody. Hanily had only just got to the club & was still 18, so a prospect not a ready made player. Konstanty was out & Magor was playing HB. I was stunned by some of the players, even the VFL squad, that were playing in the backs. Some had probably never played there.

I know there is a need in the modern game to be flexible but there are certain positions, and players, for whom this doesn't work. I mean, would you stick Paps in the back pocket? Or Isaac at FB?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back