• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would I trust you based on something we haven't tried at AFL level.

You don't know that he would be a sub 15 possession mid and even if he was, he wouldn't be played there all game anyway and it might be more useful than 20 odd from someone else. He'd likely be the 3rd outside mid.

His tackling game is underrated as well and is another option to try, despite blanket assumptions made based off different roles.

He hasn't even been a high possession bloke in VFL, ahe wasn't in his draft year. What makes you even remotely think he's going from 14-16 possessions to 25 plus which is what you need to be as a genuine mid? I'm all ears, but I cannot remotely see what the point of this is. Cleary meanwhile is the opposite, a ball magnet in reserves and his draft year.

He hasn't even been a high possession bloke in VFL, ahe wasn't in his draft year. What makes you even remotely think he's going from 14-16 possessions to 25 plus which is what you need to be as a genuine mid? I'm all ears, but I cannot remotely see what the point of this is. Cleary meanwhile is the opposite, a ball magnet in reserves and his draft year.

I'm still amazed when people seem to think we're playing fantasy footy.

In any case, he still gets thrown around in the VFL. But his last 2 VFL games earlier this year (the only 2 he's played since 2022)...

22 disp, 7 tackles, 6 clearances, 8 i50s
27 disp, 9 tackles, 5 clearances, 7 i50s

In both games, he was a couple of possessions behind Cleary, while easily leading him in tackles and clearances. Yes, Cleary is in his first year, but that wasn't the claim.

Point is have we replaced Parker’s output with Cleary I would say on form yes we have. I love Luke but he was hardly that consistent this season no two ways.

You could have made a call that he should have played the GF over Parker
Just because they play the same role doesn't mean they're a replacement.

If Heeney goes down, someone will step in but we won't be replacing him

I'm still amazed when people seem to think we're playing fantasy footy.

In any case, he still gets thrown around in the VFL. But his last 2 VFL games earlier this year (the only 2 he's played since 2022)...

22 disp, 7 tackles, 6 clearances
27 disp, 9 tackles, 5 clearances

In both games, he was a couple of possessions behind Cleary, while easily leading him in tackles and clearances. Yes, Cleary is in his first year, but that wasn't the claim.

27 at the high end is still low, look at how prolific some of our mids were when they went back over the years, can't see it working and 22 possessions is poor to average. I go with the rule of thumb whatever it is at VFL minus 4 (at best) to what it is at AFL, so you have a 22-23 on a very good day. Cleary would likely get more, he has already shown that, don't know why we wouldn't just go that way.

Just because they play the same role doesn't mean they're a replacement.

If Heeney goes down, someone will step in but we won't be replacing him

Sure but can we replace Parker's output on form we sure can he did nothing the whole finals series, a junk last quarter in a GF I'm not counting

27 at the high end is still low, look at how prolific some of our mids were when they went back over the years, can't see it working and 22 possessions is poor to average. I go with the rule of thumb whatever it is at VFL minus 4 (at best) to what it is at AFL, so you have a 22-23 on a very good day. Cleary would likely get more, he has already shown that, don't know why we wouldn't just go that way.
Cool, that'd be more important if we were talking about a) fantasy footy, and b) one of the coalface inside mids, instead of the 3rd more outside mid (who can still tackle and contest) who receives the ball to deliver or run forward.

You're also ignoring that Campbell was playing a role on those days that he hasn't been asked to do for years. But context never matters I guess.

Cool, that'd be more important if we were talking about a) fantasy footy, and b) one of the coalface inside mids, instead of the 3rd more outside mid (who can still tackle and contest) who receives the ball to deliver or run forward.

You're also ignoring that Campbell was playing a role on those days that he hasn't been asked to do for years. But context never matters I guess.

Name a good mid that is played there when they can’t find the pill it just doesn’t work these days. If we are gambling and that’s what you are thinking this way give me the bloke in Cleary who has shown at all levels to find the ball.

Campbell still has a role- as a small forward where we don’t worry about possession uses his good traits tackling etc

Why would I trust you based on something we haven't tried at AFL level.

You don't know that he would be a sub 15 possession mid and even if he was, he wouldn't be played there all game anyway and it might be more useful than 20 odd from someone else. He'd likely be the 3rd outside mid.

His tackling game is underrated as well and is another option to try, despite blanket assumptions made based off different roles.
Sheldrick over Campbell every day of the week. Cambell is not quite Quick/Strong/Elusive enough for AFL mid. Got to be REALLY good at at least one of those, preferably two. Campbell has shown himself to be just shy in all those areas.
Put Campbell up as small forward. I think he's ready to do that role. And half the time Horse has them far advanced up field where his kicking is worthwhile too.

Name a good mid that is played there when they can’t find the pill it just doesn’t work these days. If we are gambling and that’s what you are thinking this way give me the bloke in Cleary who has shown at all levels to find the ball.

Campbell still has a role- as a small forward where we don’t worry about possession uses his good traits tackling etc
Your assumption is that he can't find the pill, I don't accept that. Here's some averages of players that you don't believe are genuine mids (your words) because they get less than 25 touches per game.

Rowy 19
Drew 19
Berry 20
Pendles 20
Viney 21
Horne Francis 21
Rowell 23
Chad 23.5
Wines 23.5
Rozee 23.6
McCluggage 24.7
Holmes 24.2
Dawson 24.5

Anyway, we can keep doing this, but all I'm saying is it's a potential option we could try and there's several others to try there first!

Your assumption is that he can't find the pill, I don't accept that. Here's some averages of players that you don't believe are genuine mids (your words) because they get less than 25 touches per game.

Rowy 19
Drew 19
Berry 20
Pendles 20
Viney 21
Horne Francis 21
Rowell 23
Chad 23.5
Wines 23.5
Rozee 23.6
McCluggage 24.7
Holmes 24.2
Dawson 24.5

Anyway, we can keep doing this, but all I'm saying is it's a potential option we could try and there's several others to try there first!
We'll have Sheldrick, Mills, Adams and Hynes to shoehorn into the midfield rotation next year.
Though Hynes will mainly play forward in our new more mobile set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll have Sheldrick, Mills, Adams and Hynes to shoehorn into the midfield rotation next year.
Though Hynes will mainly play forward in our new more mobile set up.

First mark in the black book lol, I do not want Hynes AT ALL. Come on give me just this one please, I'm still getting over a certain selection in the 2017 Draft lol

Anything else interesting in the story ?
Watching Luke Kennedy for the first time this year, AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan made a few notes about the Sandringham Dragon.

He jotted him down as a left-footer.

“I thought, ‘Geez, he kicks it beautifully with these lovely weighted kicks on the left side,’’ Sheehan says.

But as he watched more of the Coates Talent League match, he realised Kennedy in fact was a right-footer. That was impressive.

“He’s a beautiful user on both sides,’’ Sheehan says. “You don’t see that many kids who are so natural on both sides of the body.’’

For that, Kennedy gives credit to his father, Paul, who stressed to his sons – Max, Rhys and Luke – that they needed to kick with both feet if they were going to do well in football.

“Gotta use your left,’’ Luke remembers him saying. “He was always big on that.”

Sheehan latched on to Kennedy after the national Under 18 championships and tracked him to the end of the season, which for the Ormond product and the Dragons finished with an emphatic grand final victory over the GVW Rebels, their third consecutive flag.

Midfielder Kennedy averaged 18.5 disposals from his 18 matches and was second to Levi Ashcroft in the best and fairest. Invited to the AFL draft state combine, his endurance showed out, as the Dragons thought it would. He registered 6:09 for the 2km run and was pleased. “Everything else was somewhat average … the (2km) was the one I set myself for,’’ Kennedy says. “We didn’t have much preparation. But I thought I did well.’’

He regards his strength as “definitely my running ability, getting from contest to contest and working defensively back as well’’.

In that respect, Dragons coach Rob Harding sees a bit of premiership Demon Alex Neal-Bullen in Kennedy. Harding says: “He’s ready to go … he’s a plug-in player.’’

Ahead of November’s national and rookie drafts, Sheehan is starting to put out lists of his best prospects. He’ll include Kennedy, whom he calls a “surprise packet’’ and a “consistent ball-winner and a smart user of the ball’’.

Watching Luke Kennedy for the first time this year, AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan made a few notes about the Sandringham Dragon.

“I thought, ‘Geez, he kicks it beautifully with these lovely weighted kicks on the left side,’’ Sheehan says.

But as he watched more of the Coates Talent League match, he realised Kennedy in fact was a right-footer. That was impressive.

“He’s a beautiful user on both sides,’’ Sheehan says. “You don’t see that many kids who are so natural on both sides of the body.’’

For that, Kennedy gives credit to his father, Paul, who stressed to his sons – Max, Rhys and Luke – that they needed to kick with both feet if they were going to do well in football.

Sheehan latched on to Kennedy after the national Under 18 championships and tracked him to the end of the season, which for the Ormond product and the Dragons finished with an emphatic grand final victory over the GVW Rebels, their third consecutive flag.

Midfielder Kennedy averaged 18.5 disposals from his 18 matches and was second to Levi Ashcroft in the best and fairest. Invited to the AFL draft state combine, his endurance showed out, as the Dragons thought it would. He registered 6:09 for the 2km run and was pleased. “Everything else was somewhat average … the (2km) was the one I set myself for,’’ Kennedy says. “We didn’t have much preparation. But I thought I did well.’’

He regards his strength as “definitely my running ability, getting from contest to contest and working defensively back as well’’.

In that respect, Dragons coach Rob Harding sees a bit of premiership Demon Alex Neal-Bullen in Kennedy. Harding says: “He’s ready to go … he’s a plug-in player.’’

Ahead of November’s national and rookie drafts, Sheehan is starting to put out lists of his best prospects. He’ll include Kennedy, whom he calls a “surprise packet’’ and a “consistent ball-winner and a smart user of the ball’’.
Uh oh, only 18.5 disposals per game.

Will never be a genuine mid apparently.

He'll be a solid pick in the 30's would need to shuffle our picks around though. Gut feel is he's probably omeone we are eyeing for the pick 44 (which comes into about pick 40). That would be the edge of his range.

You left some out

Pick in the 30's ideally, not against the selection
44 and 59 overnight will climb to like 39 and 54 surely we can move them to get a pick in the early 30s from someone to enable them to to get better talent in the door at the back end of the draft. Maybe a Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back