• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks probably thought Vickery was safe until after 40. Oliver seems to be more highly rated, his coach says he's the heartbeat of the team.

Oliver would be good, but only if we seem him as a Cunningham replacement. Don't need another half back.
Yep he has a similar profile to Matty Roberts in 2024. Do we think that Roberts can take over from Cunningham or do they take Harrison Oliver who has played that role more in Juniors

Yep he has a similar profile to Matty Roberts in 2024. Do we think that Roberts can take over from Cunningham or do they take Harrison Oliver who has played that role more in Juniors
Oliver sounds like a quick half back who doesn't mind getting in amongst the contest, so it'd be a role change, but maybe one he's suited for.

Roberts is slower, was a mid/HF, can't go with the quicker guys like Cunningham, though Smith wasn't quick anyway and he's our benchmark.

With Roberts I just haven't seen the one-on-one stuff as much, though to be fair he is being used as an interceptor/distributor instead of being given an opponent.

I don't really see anyone as heir to Cunningham on the list. Fox has the speed/smarts, Mills the smarts, but other than that, we need to find a long term replacement.

Not really when you think about the points adjustment for next year if Cochran falls into the fourth round a deficit on him literally means nothing because fourth rounders next year are worth no points value. So we will be able to match him with just the 59 alone. Then that simplifies the situation were we have 3 selections and need a KPF and probably also another forward and then a slider. Now where you take those 3 different things is up for debate

Personally my 3 targets in no order are

KPF
Small forward
KPD/winger (not fussed on first one as Cochrane is coming in). Think we need to look post Lloyd who is the next winger?

We have Campbell, Warner, Gulden, Mcinerney, Florent who are all wingers we don't need another one

See that list tells me we do- Gulden and JMac aside none of those I’d be near relying on and Florent won’t be moved.

Gulden, Jmac, Florent are the current wingers.

I count Lloyd as one but you are right with the other two. Florent is HB for mine though well that’s where he’s best at

He got back into form after being moved up the ground, not sure what you mean.
He has clearly forgotten the days of Florent fumbling the ball on the defensive 50 creating a turnover and an opposition goal. He looks twice as confident on the wing because a mistake isn't as damaging

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got back into form after being moved up the ground, not sure what you mean.

He should go between both but his starting position should be HB. Half backs and wings are interchangeable

He should go between both but his starting position should be HB. Half backs and wings are interchangeable
Blakey and Roberts, are the non lockdown types in defence. Obviously the wingers will go back a bit when players are off etc.

Yes I know you don't want Blakey distributing even though he actually turns it over less than Florent. Though you'll go with personal opinion on this regardless.

Oliver sounds like a quick half back who doesn't mind getting in amongst the contest, so it'd be a role change, but maybe one he's suited for.

Roberts is slower, was a mid/HF, can't go with the quicker guys like Cunningham, though Smith wasn't quick anyway and he's our benchmark.

With Roberts I just haven't seen the one-on-one stuff as much, though to be fair he is being used as an interceptor/distributor instead of being given an opponent.

I don't really see anyone as heir to Cunningham on the list. Fox has the speed/smarts, Mills the smarts, but other than that, we need to find a long term replacement.
The thing about the lockdown role on the smalls is more about discipline and anticipation than anything else. You say yourself that Smooch wasn't particularly quick and I can vouch for that spending a lot of time in that pocket. But his anticipation was second to none and his discipline too.
It's really hard to judge how someone will go until they're actually in the role as reserves don't function that way and "normal" defenders in seniors play differently.
I can imagine a few guys who COULD MAYBE do the job but would need to concentrate on it in preseason. You won't necessarily like the names.
Corey, Roberts, Sheldrick, JJ, Cleary, Wicks.
There are reasons you could argue against each of these but if you stop and think any of them could. Agility, acceleration, tenacity.

A midfielder who can develop but who has sound traits going at Pick 39 (down from 44) has a very good vibe.

Keeping an eye on him. The other later option I like is Zak Johnson - reasonable size, late birthday and really solid basics. I was/am keen on Hannaford but not sure he's that late an option now.

To be honest, this draft is quite odd. Flat top 5 or 6, biggish drop off around the 12/13 mark but then late teens, early/mid 20 picks in a normal draft through to about pick 45. I can't work out if I want to trade up or split picks. Maybe both is the answer but I'm not sure who's prepared to give up their position unless it's for futures.

I'm not so secretly hoping Richmond want to do all their work in the top 20 and will swap 23 and 24 for 19. Gives us a block of 3 picks and them a block of 2 at the back of the 1st round.... I can also mentally handle a reach in the 2nd round better than I could a 1st rounder 😉

I'm at the point with first rounders where I just want us to take anyone who will be a good player for us. Safe bets who maybe we can mould into something more later on.

Worth remembering that Chad Warner, James Rowbottom, Justin McInerney etc. were nothing special at the time of their drafting but if given the chance I'd use a top 10 pick on all of them now (even Warner.)

We can ill afford another wasted draft, especially since we opted out of being overly active in the trade period.

100% with you on this. No getting cute, playing games or projecting something that's not there. We've bombed too many draft picks recently.

We had only 1 player with less than 50 games experience in the GF. That's almost more a worry, than a positive in my book.

The thing about the lockdown role on the smalls is more about discipline and anticipation than anything else. You say yourself that Smooch wasn't particularly quick and I can vouch for that spending a lot of time in that pocket. But his anticipation was second to none and his discipline too.
It's really hard to judge how someone will go until they're actually in the role as reserves don't function that way and "normal" defenders in seniors play differently.
I can imagine a few guys who COULD MAYBE do the job but would need to concentrate on it in preseason. You won't necessarily like the names.
Corey, Roberts, Sheldrick, JJ, Cleary, Wicks.
There are reasons you could argue against each of these but if you stop and think any of them could. Agility, acceleration, tenacity.
Yeah well neither Smith (winger) or Harry (fwd/wing/tagger) were even in defence originally, so I get your point. I just won't see it of any of our current list unless they are actually played in that role in VFL or AFL (for JJ or Roberts).

Sure, but as far as we know and judging by the rankings we all see, Stephens was a safe bet and rated highly by everyone, having played well in SANFL seniors, and Konstanty was the best small forward going around. While Konstanty's injuries probably impacted too, there's probably no such thing as a safe bet really.

Obviously just trying to brighten your day. :(

Yeah, thanks. That worked a treat!

Would probably take Whitlock straight up then trade the second live maybe get two in the late 20’s. Trade 44 into next year (f3) match with 54 or whatever for the academy kid. We are in a tricky area

Agreed, our picks are close to good but we're so reliant on others.

It's the blocks of picks above us that hurt. Melbourne, StKilda, Richmond and GWS with multiples really limits our planning potential. It might mean a slider gets through but it also means they could hoover up the types we need. Staying flexible is the name of the game ATM

I find it hilarious that in the past Micthell couldn't get a game because Horse said he wasn't strong enough on his defensive efforts. This board said he was too defensively minded.

Now everyone is blaming Horse for not prioritising tackles and contested work and is too offensively minded
That tough love from Horse made Mitchell the quality player he was for us. He was part of the best midfield of the competition in 2016 and would be part of a premiership-winning midfield for Collingwood.

I think the blame on Horse for not prioritising tackles and contested work is justified because of this very history. He has players like Mitchell to use as blueprints for how ensuring midfielders to be strong both sides of the ball can be very beneficial, yet he seems to have disregarded his very own blueprints. The stuff he lets our players get away with and actively rewards them for, the magnets he puts on the board each week that will inevitably mean we are light on tacklers and contested players... it's not good.

Agreed, our picks are close to good but we're so reliant on others.

It's the blocks of picks above us that hurt. Melbourne, StKilda, Richmond and GWS with multiples really limits our planning potential. It might mean a slider gets through but it also means they could hoover up the types we need. Staying flexible is the name of the game ATM

Yep it’s probably why we have been open trying to trade up for one selection rather than being relying on others but whether that’s even possible I have my doubts

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back