• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

First mark in the black book lol, I do not want Hynes AT ALL. Come on give me just this one please, I'm still getting over a certain selection in the 2017 Draft lol
You'll probably be in luck as he looks too good to be there at our first pick. But if he is, I'll be mad if we pass him up.
EXACTLY what we need up forward instead of one of the big 3 by the look of him. I bet he plays 10 games next year wherever he goes. I hope it's with us. I know you don't like him - and that's fine. Time will tell, nothing else really.

You'll probably be in luck as he looks too good to be there at our first pick. But if he is, I'll be mad if we pass him up.
EXACTLY what we need up forward instead of one of the big 3 by the look of him. I bet he plays 10 games next year wherever he goes. I hope it's with us. I know you don't like him - and that's fine. Time will tell, nothing else really.

We will see everyone has a varying opinion of many around our area from let’s say 12-35 these are all first round talents this year they are just ultra even. I have my favourites in this area that I want Hotton especially

Watching Luke Kennedy for the first time this year, AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan made a few notes about the Sandringham Dragon.

He jotted him down as a left-footer.

“I thought, ‘Geez, he kicks it beautifully with these lovely weighted kicks on the left side,’’ Sheehan says.

But as he watched more of the Coates Talent League match, he realised Kennedy in fact was a right-footer. That was impressive.

“He’s a beautiful user on both sides,’’ Sheehan says. “You don’t see that many kids who are so natural on both sides of the body.’’

For that, Kennedy gives credit to his father, Paul, who stressed to his sons – Max, Rhys and Luke – that they needed to kick with both feet if they were going to do well in football.

“Gotta use your left,’’ Luke remembers him saying. “He was always big on that.”

Sheehan latched on to Kennedy after the national Under 18 championships and tracked him to the end of the season, which for the Ormond product and the Dragons finished with an emphatic grand final victory over the GVW Rebels, their third consecutive flag.

Midfielder Kennedy averaged 18.5 disposals from his 18 matches and was second to Levi Ashcroft in the best and fairest. Invited to the AFL draft state combine, his endurance showed out, as the Dragons thought it would. He registered 6:09 for the 2km run and was pleased. “Everything else was somewhat average … the (2km) was the one I set myself for,’’ Kennedy says. “We didn’t have much preparation. But I thought I did well.’’

He regards his strength as “definitely my running ability, getting from contest to contest and working defensively back as well’’.

In that respect, Dragons coach Rob Harding sees a bit of premiership Demon Alex Neal-Bullen in Kennedy. Harding says: “He’s ready to go … he’s a plug-in player.’’

Ahead of November’s national and rookie drafts, Sheehan is starting to put out lists of his best prospects. He’ll include Kennedy, whom he calls a “surprise packet’’ and a “consistent ball-winner and a smart user of the ball’’.
Reads like a Lloyd replacement. Which would be good. Also reads like a lightly built outside reach at our picks....which sounds infuriating.

FFS I am SICK of GWS and their picks.
When is Tassie going to be the same? heck them both. We had to suck for a decade or two, but they all get a free ride?

When is Tassie going to be the same? heck them both. We had to suck for a decade or two, but they all get a free ride?

GWS traded out players that were good to get them oh and Richmond were in charity mode gifting them their whole draft for Tarranto and Hopper lol

GWS have picks because they keep losing players interstate. Yeah, they got Stringer, but lost 3 x Best 23 players during this trade/FA period alone.

The initial picks and concessions are to get the newer clubs competitive as soon as possible. It's bad for the league if the new clubs are complete basket cases for ages.

What happened to Sydney (either side of some good form in the 80s) is part of the reason why.

I'm at the point with first rounders where I just want us to take anyone who will be a good player for us. Safe bets who maybe we can mould into something more later on.

Worth remembering that Chad Warner, James Rowbottom, Justin McInerney etc. were nothing special at the time of their drafting but if given the chance I'd use a top 10 pick on all of them now (even Warner.)

We can ill afford another wasted draft, especially since we opted out of being overly active in the trade period.
Wasted Draft......
Theres been a lot of chatter by AFL 'experts' of how poorly the Swans have drafted. Its Bullsh*t. Wasn't these same experts saying the Swans have the best young list in the comp over the last three years???
1. The Swans hardly ever have high draft picks. eg - To miss on Konstanty @ p20 is not the end of the world. GWS were pretty pissed off that we drafted him
2. Last draft (our first was again p20ish) was not wasted! our first pick was a ruckman (the best in the draft) to be developed under Cox and Grundy.. grade A+ Our 2nd was an academy mid who played a few games in his 1st year, p25ish - grade A. Our 3rd pick was a tall defender @ p55ish who has already received a 2 year extension. Grade A
3. During 2022 & 23. We watched numerous games where everyone of the b23 were players that we drafted and developed. No other team can do that... and certainly no other team can do that and play finals and Grand finals.
4. Draftees from 2022/23/24 have not had the opportunity to play seniors and develop as AFL players due to the success of our drafting over the 3-4 years prior. There are only so many U22's that can play at any one time. This doesn't mean we drafted poorly, rather that we haven't had the chance to develop them.
This makes drafting a ruck and tall defender last year even better as there is little room in the b22 to fit them in, and as KPPs, they will take longer and be ready when there is room.

The salary cap works differently for different clubs. The Swans cant afford to trade like other clubs can.
Compare Swans v Cats - 2 clubs that compare very well with on field success and off field stability.
Swans trade Buddy - Lose, Hanners, Hewett, Mitchell etc, and have to trade out Allirr to pay Hickey.
Cats trade Dangerfield, then Jeremy Cameron, then take on J Bowes + p7 + his salary, then Bailey Smith and would take on Oliver if they had the draft capital.

We 'Opted out of being overly active in the trade period' because we have no choice.
And we have drafted excellently over the past 6 years

Have more an issue with the GC so called rescue package!

Why? They had their chance and butchered picks! Why do they get another chance? Then let’s let the rorting with matching stay in past where they benefit.

GWS have picks because they keep losing players interstate. Yeah, they got Stringer, but lost 3 x Best 23 players during this trade/FA period alone.

The initial picks and concessions are to get the newer clubs competitive as soon as possible. It's bad for the league if the new clubs are complete basket cases for ages.

What happened to Sydney (either side of some good form in the 80s) is part of the reason why.
The picks handed to GWS and GC like candy were WAAAAY over the top. It was ludicrous. If it's going to be the same for Tassie..:mad:

Give them an extra 2 picks in the first draft AT MOST. They can split them and draft plenty of talent.
Sucking builds character. The Canberra team in the NRL sucked....then developed their own players, splashed the cash on a few and won a GF within 8 years. Look at the Melbourne Storm. Nobody gave them twenty free friggen first round draft picks. Winning clubs aren't built on freebies and pandering. They are built on recruiting the right characters.

The picks handed to GWS and GC like candy were WAAAAY over the top. It was ludicrous. If it's going to be the same for Tassie..:mad:

Give them an extra 2 picks in the first draft AT MOST. They can split them and draft plenty of talent.
Sucking builds character. The Canberra team in the NRL sucked....then developed their own players, splashed the cash on a few and won a GF within 8 years. Look at the Melbourne Storm. Nobody gave them twenty free friggen first round draft picks. Winning clubs aren't built on freebies and pandering. They are built on recruiting the right characters.
What is the alternative? Experienced players aren’t going to a new club. You have to force draftees to go.

As for the Raiders and Storm half their teams are from Queensland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That tough love from Horse made Mitchell the quality player he was for us. He was part of the best midfield of the competition in 2016 and would be part of a premiership-winning midfield for Collingwood.

I think the blame on Horse for not prioritising tackles and contested work is justified because of this very history. He has players like Mitchell to use as blueprints for how ensuring midfielders to be strong both sides of the ball can be very beneficial, yet he seems to have disregarded his very own blueprints. The stuff he lets our players get away with and actively rewards them for, the magnets he puts on the board each week that will inevitably mean we are light on tacklers and contested players... it's not good.
There were rumours on the board that Horse was told he was being too strict. I think it's more likely he's doing what he's been told to do

What is the alternative? Experienced players aren’t going to a new club. You have to force draftees to go.

As for the Raiders and Storm half their teams are from Queensland.

Easy give them more in the soft cap, coaching etc. No teams needs 23 first rounders and a whole mini draft. Did you see GWS complain when they butchered a few? No because they didn’t spend a million bucks on a B grade NRL player lol

Easy give them more in the soft cap, coaching etc. No teams needs 23 first rounders and a whole mini draft. Did you see GWS complain when they butchered a few? No because they didn’t spend a million bucks on a B grade NRL player lol
GWS certainly had more luck with injuries, but their drafting was just better too.

GWS certainly had more luck with injuries, but their drafting was just better too.

I agree which is why I’ve been saying GC didn’t deserve a “do over” just becuase Scott Clayton couldn’t draft a list

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back