• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing about the lockdown role on the smalls is more about discipline and anticipation than anything else. You say yourself that Smooch wasn't particularly quick and I can vouch for that spending a lot of time in that pocket. But his anticipation was second to none and his discipline too.
It's really hard to judge how someone will go until they're actually in the role as reserves don't function that way and "normal" defenders in seniors play differently.
I can imagine a few guys who COULD MAYBE do the job but would need to concentrate on it in preseason. You won't necessarily like the names.
Corey, Roberts, Sheldrick, JJ, Cleary, Wicks.
There are reasons you could argue against each of these but if you stop and think any of them could. Agility, acceleration, tenacity.
I suspect they viewed Kirk as a small defender/forward. Hoping he would have the mentality and discipline to play that type of role.

What is the alternative? Experienced players aren’t going to a new club. You have to force draftees to go.

As for the Raiders and Storm half their teams are from Queensland.
So...experienced players went to a new club, yeah? At first journeymen. And then when they picked the right coaches and players & improved, really good ones. Then they won stuff.

How has it worked out for GC or GWS getting a hundred draft picks so far? No community engagement (no locals), no heart (bunch of kids who don't want to be there).

Video with a 31-45 ranking. Which I found interesting since a lot of the draft articles only have a top 30 ranking.

I'm up to a list of 70 so far for whenever we do our phantom draft.

Top 30 is an average of latest rankings, next 10 or so is ordered as well, but descends into "I don't know what I'm doing" after that.

Last edited:
So...experienced players went to a new club, yeah? At first journeymen. And then when they picked the right coaches and players & improved, really good ones. Then they won stuff.

How has it worked out for GC or GWS getting a hundred draft picks so far? No community engagement (no locals), no heart (bunch of kids who don't want to be there).

GWS to be fair have been a mainstay in finals and made a GF. What’s GC done? It’s almost harder to stuff it up like they did lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't he a KPF/ruck?

Defender Joel Cochrane in our academy. More an interceptor but still a defender.

Don’t rate much but if a bid is in the late 3rd or 4th we can’t lose matching.

Personally taking a key forward one of our first two picks then look at small forward or pressure fwd at the next. Pick 44 would be sort of best Hail Mary at that range OR possibly an in an under mid.

Defender Joel Cochrane in our academy. More an interceptor but still a defender.

Don’t rate much but if a bid is in the late 3rd or 4th we can’t lose matching.

Personally taking a key forward one of our first two picks then look at small forward or pressure fwd at the next. Pick 44 would be sort of best Hail Mary at that range OR possibly an in an under mid.
Huh? You said we wouldn't take Sims because of Cochran, but that Sims looked decent.

I'm well aware of Cochran.

Huh? You said we wouldn't take Sims because of Cochran, but that Sims looked decent.

I'm well aware of Cochran.

I said he’s talented enough, don’t really rate Cochran much anyway. Said this before but I’d pass if we had to match before our third pick, many won’t agree. 4th round we don’t lose anything matching whether we have a pick or not (4th round picks next year are worth 0 and deficits are taken from the round it incurs)

I’d basically go KPF then small forward first two picks I’m here or there which way we go there, probably lean to taking the forward first. Does mean pick 3 which is 44 (it will move forward) we’d have the option of best available, maybe we look at a lockdown defender or we take the best available midfielder.

That would be what I’d do IF we keep our picks as it is. I have been consistent that if Hotton (among a few others but he’s the realistic one) lasts to pick 15 or so I’m on the phone asking the question at least would it work doubt it but it’s worth trying.

I said he’s talented enough, don’t really rate Cochran much anyway. Said this before but I’d pass if we had to match before our third pick, many won’t agree. 4th round we don’t lose anything matching whether we have a pick or not (4th round picks next year are worth 0 and deficits are taken from the round it incurs)

I’d basically go KPF then small forward first two picks I’m here or there which way we go there, probably lean to taking the forward first. Does mean pick 3 which is 44 (it will move forward) we’d have the option of best available, maybe we look at a lockdown defender or we take the best available midfielder.

That would be what I’d do IF we keep our picks as it is. I have been consistent that if Hotton (among a few others but he’s the realistic one) lasts to pick 15 or so I’m on the phone asking the question at least would it work doubt it but it’s worth trying.
I'm not talking about Cochran!

Someone mentioned Sims, you said we wouldn't take him although he looked decent, because we had Cochran.

Sims is a KPF/ruck, so I was trying to figure out what you meant.

I'm not talking about Cochran!

Someone mentioned Sims, you said we wouldn't take him although he looked decent, because we had Cochran.

Sims is a KPF/ruck, so I was trying to figure out what you meant.

He’s be a chance if we went the other way early and traded up grabbed an extra pick in the mid 30’s. Then we could get let’s say Hotton then Sims as a FWD who can ruck then look to the small forward at 44. Sims would depend what way we go with the first two picks. What’s my preference not sure but I’m a little concerned we are behind a bunch of sides that have similar needs. Trading to 13/14 might be the way but if Hotton is gone who is it for?

He’s be a chance if we went the other way early and traded up grabbed an extra pick in the mid 30’s. Then we could get let’s say Hotton then Sims as a FWD who can ruck then look to the small forward at 44. Sims would depend what way we go with the first two picks. What’s my preference not sure but I’m a little concerned we are behind a bunch of sides that have similar needs. Trading to 13/14 might be the way but if Hotton is gone who is it for?
I don't think we should trade up.

There are plenty of KPFs and a few medium forwards at/around our first 2 picks, and inside mids later on. Plus Harry Oliver likely available if he's got potential or a rookie pick for a small defender.

There are plenty of KPFs and a few medium forwards at/around our first 2 picks, and inside mids later on. Plus Harry Oliver likely available if he's got potential or a rookie pick for a small defender.
It would not surprise me if we went that way.

Young key forward with one of our early picks. We have only got 4 tall forwards on our list. And we were willing to draft Green/Snell last year so still willing to look to long term needs.

Small/medium forward with the other early pick. There seems a lot of that type of player in our range. In the finals series, it felt like it was not just lacking smaller pressure forwards. But we relied a lot on Papley/Hayward for attacking creativity in our forward line. In the short term I can see us pushing Campbell or Florent upfield.

If we are talking to guys like Luke Kennedy or other inside mids. Maybe we are looking at picking up a contested inside mid with a later pick or in the rookie draft. Even with Sheldrick and Cleary as young mids. It is always good to have midfield depth. And we still have issues in that area.

It would not surprise me if we went that way.

Young key forward with one of our early picks. We have only got 4 tall forwards on our list. And we were willing to draft Green/Snell last year so still willing to look to long term needs.

Small/medium forward with the other early pick. There seems a lot of that type of player in our range. In the finals series, it felt like it was not just lacking smaller pressure forwards. But we relied a lot on Papley/Hayward for attacking creativity in our forward line. In the short term I can see us pushing Campbell or Florent upfield.

If we are talking to guys like Luke Kennedy or other inside mids. Maybe we are looking at picking up a contested inside mid with a later pick or in the rookie draft. Even with Sheldrick and Cleary as young mids. It is always good to have midfield depth. And we still have issues in that area.
Medium forward for mine, we only have Hayward. Small forwards we have a bunch of options other than Papley and Wicks that we've barely tried or just brought in i.e. Campbell, Cleary, Corey W, Florent, Hanily, Warner playing forward more.

Annoyed we're paying any of Parkers contract. North wanted him, they should be taking his whole contract
Ultimately, we have to make North’s pick count to alleviate any of the concern. We spent $350K of cap space for a second round pick so clearly Kinnear values the depth in this draft or has plans to keep dealing on draft night, potentially for next year’s draft?

There may not be with the multiple picks teams have a week ago I’d have agreed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back