Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that but if you look at our turnaround from the Gold Coast game in 2023 up until the Richmond game in 2024 the win loss is 20-6. In smaller samples it was 8-2 in 2022, 11-2 in 2023 and 11-4 in 2024. The inconsistency is baffling. No excuses. The stats are baked in. The challenge is to change this next season.

It was a shit end to the year, but I’d be lying if I said I was excited to see the changes made. Hopefully some new coaches come in and a few new faces to the playing group. We’ve got the core pieces in place, now need to fix up some of the holes. I guess time will tell.

We didn’t pick a team that was good enough to perform though. Maybe the names on paper. But actually good enough? In terms of form and fitness? The way we were beaten suggests not.

We were cooked going into the Hawthorn game.
But also, the idea that we were beaten before the injuries is wrong. Martin, Fog and Boyd were all injured in the 1st quarter. We were 2 points down at quarter time, and then blew 3 chances that should have been goals to start the 2nd quarter. Then they broke us.

The team was well and truly fit enough to start with intent. If we fell away late, then that would point more to picking the wrong players. The way were beaten suggests we were mentally not up for the challenge at the start. Regardless of Brisbane easing up, if we were not fit then we wouldn't win the second half and a bit by 5 goals.

Why were we cooked going into the Hawthorn game? We had just had two 8 day breaks, which was the best freshen up we had had since the bye. And if we were cooked (which I agree we were), why can't that explain us basically being cooked for the last third of the season, including last night? We hit a wall, Russell "resigned", and we looked a shell of the team we had been for the first 16 rounds.

It wouldn't have mattered who we picked; we simply seemed unable to turn it around unfortunately.

It was a shit end to the year, but I’d be lying if I said I was excited to see the changes made. Hopefully some new coaches come in
Don’t hold your breath
and their coaches are contracted and staying, so the boost needs to come from within.

I don't think we can say that. A lot of them prepare themselves very professionally;

Cripps, Walsh, Acres, Weitering, Doc, Newman for example.

I'd only say McGov, Motlop, Williams and Elijah are the questionable ones in terms of body, diet and physio who would all probably be more available even better if they can get that sorted.

The only thing I can say for the list is as a collective is mental resilience and footy IQ.

The footy IQ is guided by coach(es). Don't try to teach Quantum mechanics to a 10 year old. Up to the coach(es) to identify how to get through to their list.

Mental resilience improves when buy in occurs to a game-plan they can identify with and execute with results and coach(es) they trust.

Our players as a group, and as individuals, are simply not good enough to make the step. Last season was the exception to the rule.

Tough calls need to be made on some of our regular 22 players..Thats an absolute necessity IMO

Our players as a group, and as individuals, are simply not good enough to make the step. Last season was the exception to the rule.

Tough calls need to be made on some of our regular 22 players..Thats an absolute necessity IMO
My concern is whether Voss & co actually know what tough calls, changes to team structure, players etc. are needed to make the next step.

He and the MC just seemed out of their depth over the past two months. Making Kennedy, Hewett, Owies sub, dropping Hewett, carrying Cerra, Cottrell, playing Motlop etc… are not the signs this coaching group know what they’re doing - let alone capable of making a tough call.

So back to sackings

All but disappeared for a year
Yes, it is better confronting reality than deluding yourself, that all is well. How many years can you maintain the status quo which assumes we are heading for consistent top 4 finishes? . I have been consistent about Sayers and Austin over a few seasons.

My concern is whether Voss & co actually know what tough calls, changes to team structure, players etc. are needed to make the next step.

He and the MC just seemed out of their depth over the past two months. Making Kennedy, Hewett, Owies sub, dropping Hewett, carrying Cerra, Cottrell, playing Motlop etc… are not the signs this coaching group know what they’re doing - let alone capable of making a tough call.

Tend to agree unfortunately

We did well last year to make and win two finals. What changes did we make this year?

We brought in Elijah who was handy and Fantasia who was okay, but realistically didn’t give us a step change we needed.

Not sure a few tweaks and demanding more committed play is going to give us the improvement we need to be a top 4 side tbh arrow.

Major changes are needed for us to make finals next year

The way we fell away in the second half of the season is incredibly concerning

I don't think we can say that. A lot of them prepare themselves very professionally;

Cripps, Walsh, Acres, Weitering, Doc, Newman for example.

I'd only say McGov, Motlop, Williams and Elijah are the questionable ones in terms of body, diet and physio who would all probably be more available even better if they can get that sorted.

The only thing I can say for the list is as a collective is mental resilience and footy IQ.

The footy IQ is guided by coach(es). Don't try to teach Quantum mechanics to a 10 year old. Up to the coach(es) to identify how to get through to their list.

Mental resilience improves when buy in occurs to a game-plan they can identify with and execute with results and coach(es) they trust.
I think Elijah just tired as the season wore on. Definitely needs to focus on getting his body right as you say and I think that will give him greater confidence in his footballing

the others you mention I don’t necessarily feel that is the case- maybe early doors for mcgov but not so much now while motlop is still young and hap crap year with injury

Williams however really frustrates me given what we are paying him- can’t wait for that all to be done and he can leave - we will have younger hungrier players

I just hope next year we are in a position to give the likes of binns and lord (and maybe moir if he gets fit) more game time. Firstly so that they get experience but also to give some of our other players a rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to know if the game plan included Motlop and Durdin waiting goal side of a contest 20m out instead of front and centre. Left us horribly exposed to sling shot.

****ing moronic.

Durdin is always in a weird position. Don't know what he adds to the game waiting back there.

Not to mention Harry and Kemp spoiling each other's mark, TDK dragging his opponent to the contest. Bona fide dumb coaching.

Screenshot 2024-09-08.png

How To Fold GIF by Digg

Yes, it is better confronting reality than deluding yourself, that all is well.
If this is directed at me, I've never stated that all is well, but people don't need to be sacked to force positive change

How many years can you maintain the status quo which assumes we are heading for consistent top 4 finishes? . I have been consistent about Sayers and Austin over a few seasons.

Board members don't mark, kick, tackle

No list is perfect, evident by the changing nature of output for all sides

We just need to closely examine what we need to do to be better consistently throughout the season. Coaching and selection, drafting developing and player trading, having a football department that creates an environment for sustained success.

We've been seeing last night's performances for too long now. Admittedly we've seen lot less of them in the last three seasons but last night was not the time to look like we didn't want to be there. Not quite sure what the excuse is or why it happened. Was not a good look.

Can't dwell on it. Must look to improve and get the best out of the group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back