Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pitto bobbing up to kick 2 junk time goals and be our only multiple goal scorer beyond our KPF, was a good troll on how ineffective the forwards were as well as the delivery to them
To be fair to the forwards in the first half the entries were terribly shallow.

To be fair to the forwards in the first half the entries were terribly shallow.
Delivery was poor throughout the game but so was the positioning. It reverted to the bomb it long tactic and they all converged to the spot, rather than isolate and spot the player in the best position.

I'd like a serious discussion to be undertaken internally on Adam Simpson or a tactical coach being brought in to assist Voss.

Also for Voss to be warned he needs to change his mindset on his way being the right way and listen to the person in this position, as that is what they are being brought in for.

Voss is good at certain things as a coach but I get the impression he is a micromanager and that's why our assistants are not having an impact. He wants things his way and it's not working.

If this happens with a couple changes to the list I think we have the formula to be fighting for the premiership

If this doesn't happen i see us having these same discussions in his 4th year as coach.

Last edited:
I can’t agree.

Off field we are in a great spot and we are stable

I think our recruiting has been more than okay. I still think our list, although needs improving, is much better than we are showing

I do have issues with giving average players long term contracts. Cottrell Durdin etc made no sense to me. Borderline player should be on one year deals

Fitness and game plan is my number one issue

Cottrell was looking the good this year until he copped that foot injury.

I’m still upset by yesterday’s performance - the margin did not show our ineptitude - we weren’t even competitive!

The worst was all that bombing to their players :mad:

Hawthorn's small half-back flankers and forward flankers - Moore, Watson, Hardwick, Morrison, etc, are quick though. Totally out-ran us (again) when we played against them.

As good as Newman was he still take several seconds before he moves the ball on whereas the Hawks ping it around immediately. That’s where the ‘speed’ is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m still upset by yesterday’s performance - the margin did not show our ineptitude - we weren’t even competitive!

The worst was all that bombing to their players :mad:
My favourite part was when we had the ball at half back or wing and stood around like shags on rocks having no ****en clue what to do next. But then! Inspired by the tactical genius of Voss we bombed it to a pack.

Remember this was at the point where we were 50-60 points down. How on gods green earth are you supposed to overcome a 10 goal margin with that tripe.

Ludicrous to blame that on injuries.

Understandably yes at times leg speed is a factor when pressing, although I’ve seen us last year execute it to a much better level, this year at the ground i only noticed us getting it right on only 2/3 occasions…

I’m not sure what the instructions are from our coaching staff or if the players are just as much to blame but we are so poorly organised, we tend to just guard dead space allowing opposition teams to move the ball far to easily…
Genuine question: do you recall us pressing well with Pitto Kennedy Walsh Cripps Hewett on ball?

Walsh needs to go to a wing full time next year. They need Lord on ball. Forget Pitto. Try and get Cinc fitter (his endurance sucks) so he can play on ball a whole game. Change the look
And feel

What I'd like to see is one or two of our coaching panel that have had previous senior coaching experience . I hope that we pursue somebody like Simpson. Collingwood had at least two last year, Hardwick had a couple at Richmond along the journey, as did Clarkson at Hawthorn. I'm not suggesting a mentor for Voss, he isn't a rookie coach but I'm sure that somebody who has been in the hot seat before would be a good person to bounce ideas off.
This. 100% this.
We have Coles branded generic assistant coaches - when we need the real things in the box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game plan, is the main driver that makes us slow..

Hawks don’t have a lot of leg speed in the midfield, they spread from the contest like no other and use their elite ball users (most of their side)
Would love to know if the game plan included Motlop and Durdin waiting goal side of a contest 20m out instead of front and centre. Left us horribly exposed to sling shot.

****ing moronic.

Most of the issues from last night were raised and discussed by the majority on here prior to the game.

It wasn’t rocket science. What we did and selected defied basic common sense
This.

Sometimes we disagree on here about selections.

I’ve never ever seen total unanimous “wtf” about Cinc not getting picked. Some had him identified for Neale. Most for Zorko. None, not one single poster didn’t want him in the side.

Now some may say “what would fans know”? Well….to not have a single fan calling for him to be dropped yet he gets dropped is incredible. I can’t recall that happening before.

I also can’t recall anyone asking for Lord to be dropped. His tackling and pressure and end to end running was great.

What am I saying? Either the ENTIRE thousands of Carlton fans are wrong…..

OR

Maybe just maybe

The coaches (namely Voss) had a colossal **** up of a game.

Now…..it would at least give some small comfort to hear him admit it.

But he didn’t. Why do I want him to admit it? To see he is humble and able to reflect on himself and learn.

He is really worrying me.

I always try and look for reasons and the positives

This year has really drained me. We have gone backwards and the evidence proves it

Until we change some key issues we will struggle

Big off season for Cook & Co
Problem with Cook and sayers is they don’t need their roles and are on the verge of retiring from them. There is no hunger passion or drive coming from them. And this year they’ve been completely invisible.

Would love to know if the game plan included Motlop and Durdin waiting goal side of a contest 20m out instead of front and centre. Left us horribly exposed to sling shot.

****ing moronic.
All part of it…

Being a Carlton supporter really is living the dream…

This.

Sometimes we disagree on here about selections.

I’ve never ever seen total unanimous “wtf” about Cinc not getting picked. Some had him identified for Neale. Most for Zorko. None, not one single poster didn’t want him in the side.

Now some may say “what would fans know”? Well….to not have a single fan calling for him to be dropped yet he gets dropped is incredible. I can’t recall that happening before.

I also can’t recall anyone asking for Lord to be dropped. His tackling and pressure and end to end running was great.

What am I saying? Either the ENTIRE thousands of Carlton fans are wrong…..

OR

Maybe just maybe

The coaches (namely Voss) had a colossal **** up of a game.

Now…..it would at least give some small comfort to hear him admit it.

But he didn’t. Why do I want him to admit it? To see he is humble and able to reflect on himself and learn.

He is really worrying me.

Issue I have is more and more the evidence is pushing towards the same issues.

Stability is great but if someone isn’t the right person for the role we need to make the right decisions

I hope there is serious discussions around our entire coaching group. Whether it’s one person, a few or the mix of the group things need to change. It’s not working and with names like Cripps Weitering Charlie McKay in their prime we need to make sure we are getting things right NOW

Can’t agree with this part. Docherty is senior enough to know he’s not ready. Team before yourself. Putting his hand up to play a final was selfish. Set himself a goal after he did his knee to play again this season and put his goal ahead of what was best for the team.
And what message does it send to the other guys....

Doc should not have played... yep, entirely selfish.

Ditto Motlop and Durdin.

Binns, Moir and Lord in their stead gives the team a hugely different look.

As for Bam Bam being subbed - wouldn't be surprised if he leaves... poor bloke.

"Carlton coach Michael Voss told his players their performance was not up to standard in an assessment of their elimination final loss to the Brisbane Lions that vice-captain Sam Walsh described as “pointed”."

“That game summed up a bit of our year; too inconsistent [and] not hard enough to play against at times,” Walsh said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back