Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked the way he covered ground yesterday. Worked all the way back to the d50 at times. For a club that occasionally struggles for workrate thought his effort was massive.
I am firmly of the belief that a number of posters on this board still view Fantasia as an outsider and have preconceived notions of him.

He walks into a spot over Motlop and Durdin on form, and Owies will likely go for his tackle.

Yesterday we kicked 11 goals, he kicked one that nobody else on our list would’ve kicked, and directly assisted 2 others (including that absolute peach of a pass to Kemp)

There’s an obsession over what Fantasia isn’t, I’ve liked what he is

Love Durds and we saw a glimpse of his impact a week ago in Perth but played yesterday like a kid conscious of his shoulder. Needs to have a spell and get it right in the off season. Important small forward for us when he's fit and firing.

Changes:

IN:
Curnow, McKay, De Koning, Williams, McGovern & Martin

Out:
Carroll, Lord, Pittonet, Durdin, Motlop & Owies (suspended)

We've got four small forwards who are too slow to break clear of opponents, and too weak to ever shake a tackle. So we end up with plenty of repeat inside 50 stoppages, but only because no-one is ever capable of ever actually getting a shot on goal away.

That needs to change. If Williams isn't back this week then we need to be playing Cincotta or even Cowan up forward

I don’t give a shit about small pressure when the forwards can’t even compete in the air and the ball goes out of our f50 at twice the speed it goes in.

Owies and Williams are only small forwards deserving of a game due to consistent impact.

Durdin, Fanta and Motlop just run around doing nothing.. and even when they “pressure” they are too small to actually stick a tackle.

I’d pick Moir ahead of them.

I am firmly of the belief that a number of posters on this board still view Fantasia as an outsider and have preconceived notions of him.

He walks into a spot over Motlop and Durdin on form, and Owies will likely go for his tackle.

Yesterday we kicked 11 goals, he kicked one that nobody else on our list would’ve kicked, and directly assisted 2 others (including that absolute peach of a pass to Kemp)

he was good yesterday, did his job.

Finding it really hard to work out who comes in, and who misses out. There are going to be some unlucky blokes who miss this game. But we have to take our best and most experienced team up there. Not sure we can take many players in with very little experience:

Ins: Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Williams
Out: Owies (Susp), Moir, C.Durdin, Binns/Carroll

Just speculation on my part, but I get the feeling that Fantasia plays like a guy who's been a journeyman and is probably lucky to have got a shot this season and is playing like he knows it. He knows his place in the game is just hanging on and he can't afford to let a tackle go or half a defensive effort just for show, he needs to straight line a ball, put a block on, wear contact when it's his turn to go etc.

He plays with the urgency of a guy who knows his career is nearly done and he will play his role to the nth to get another go around.

His talent isn't quite what it once was but I'd suggest he plays harder and plays his role more diligently than at any other point in his career.

Last edited:
Love Durds and we saw a glimpse of his impact a week ago in Perth but played yesterday like a kid conscious of his shoulder. Needs to have a spell and get it right in the off season. Important small forward for us when he's fit and firing.

Changes:

IN:
Curnow, McKay, De Koning, Williams, McGovern & Martin

Out
:
Carroll, Lord, Pittonet, Durdin, Motlop & Owies (suspended)

There is some class and forward power to come in next game. I feel the hardest decision for the MC will be Pittonet.
I personally have a very good feeling going into the Brisbane game. Haven't felt this positive in a while.

Is TDK or Pitto the better match for Oscar McInerney?

Pitto as McInerney is quite physical. We won’t risk solo rucking TDK coming back from that injury. If TDK is picked we’ll go in with two rucks I have no doubt. We will bring back a lot of guys who haven’t played in a while and it won’t end well but we have no choice but to roll the dice. They’ll be fumbly, lacking touch, and short of a gallop so it’s very likely we run out of steam in the second half. Have to be accurate and take chances early.

On a separate note, we simply need more out of our small forwards. Durds and Mots both with 4 possessions each is unacceptable. They lack the speed to play as proper small forwards. They never hit the pack at any speed. No other team has such poor small forwards and outside of a KPD it’s a huge need for us to rectify. Durds also tucked up into a ball afraid of contact to his shoulder at one point, it was super noticeable that he’s worried about it. Can’t take a player out onto the field who’s worried of contact and injury. He’s be an out for me and probably further offseason surgery to stabilise that shoulder.

The **** did Owies do? Missed that..

Edit - saw the video. He’s getting a week for sure. Both arms pinned. Forward momentum. Head hits turf.

But I’m not sure how else you are meant to tackle and stop the player from disposing of the ball in that position.. but the AFL don’t seem to care.. protect the head at all costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
thought it was dumb to play all of Durds (shoulder), Owies, Mots (way out of form) and Orazio (who went ok).

we simply need more out of our small forwards. Durds and Mots both with 4 possessions each is unacceptable. They lack the speed to play as proper small forwards
Suspect any ins will replace some small forwards, to start with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mots isn't a speedster but I don't know about Corey being slow... looks lightning sometimes, just doesn't always use it, whether that's his injury concerns or what I don't know.

After the emotional rollercoaster yesterday, I feel calm and happy that we are still in the Finals :D

Our half VFL team has done well in the last two weeks, but you can only stretch the team so far...
Now we'll get a break and will have some best 23 players back - not many people will give us a chance, but we'll be the surprise packet in this finals series.

It's time to make an impact - and why not, week by week, peak during the finals?

Let's go Baggers!!! 😍

Last edited:
I don’t give a shit about small pressure when the forwards can’t even compete in the air and the ball goes out of our f50 at twice the speed it goes in.

Owies and Williams are only small forwards deserving of a game due to consistent impact.

Durdin, Fanta and Motlop just run around doing nothing.. and even when they “pressure” they are too small to actually stick a tackle.

I’d pick Moir ahead of them.
Not suggesting Cinc or Cowan forward for pressure; but because I think they'd be more capable of winning a ground ball and getting a shot at goal in than Durdin / Motlop / Fantasia

Orazio Fantasia was Carlton's 8th highest rated player: 1 goal, 10 disposals (70%), 4 contested, 4 ground balls (2 F50), 1 intercept, 4 score involvements, 2 goal assists, 2 tackles (both F50), 1 mark, 2 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 297 metres gained.

(pasted from X)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back