Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Scott would have picked a slightly different team if it was an EF not a QF.

You play the first final for keeps, for them it was to get into a home prelim.

Same team would have been picked regardless.

One match committee has faith in the young kids and doesn’t risk injury or lack of fitness, and one does

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You play the first final for keeps, for them it was to get into a home prelim.

Same team would have been picked regardless.

One match committee has faith in the young kids and doesn’t risk injury or lack of fitness, and one does

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Each to their own I guess - I still don't think not playing 2-gamers means we don't trust kids. Especially with what we have seen with the transition of Hollands and Cowan into the team in their first two years

Interesting that Scott didn't rush back or risk Guthrie, Hawkins, Rohan, DeKoning who were all available and will play Reserves this weekend. Also, didn't risk Stewart. 5 very good players who are likely best 22

Hard to tell how bad Port were last night but I thought Geelongs energy and workrate all over the ground was a big statement
Great call and 💯 correct.

Geez TDK in, amazing. He didn't even get on the track at training last Saturday, Curnow wasn't doing much but was at least out there. As others have said I reckon they're playing funny buggers, late change brewing there (hopefully for Moir).

Cerra too, big risk. Can't shake the feeling we'll be down to about 2 rotations by the 3rd quarter.

Other major worry is Durdin Motlop and Fantasia all in the same forward line. They'd wanna bring a bit more defensive profile than usual :oops:
May have been said already….check out the Pitto cam thing on the Blues site. TDK running fine on Monday. Looked great. Charlie never got out of a slow jog on Saturday and didn’t participate in match sim Monday.

he didnt smash it. He had 19 touches and 60% tog. Second to the ball always and gassed in a half chasing leather. Oof.
Leading pressure acts (29) , 7 tackles (2 in 50), 19 pos, he smashed it.
100% what we need - someone who’s quicker putting on defensive pressure & still getting the ball.

May have been said already….check out the Pitto cam thing on the Blues site. TDK running fine on Monday. Looked great. Charlie never got out of a slow jog on Saturday and didn’t participate in match sim Monday.

Watched that, but they probably told Pittonet not to rough him up so probably looks better. We soon find out tomorrow.

Not too sure what to make of the selections, it reeks of naming names instead of players on what they have done. Don't agree with Cincotta out and leaving a 1 armed Durdin and an out of form Motlop in but as everyone is saying, trust the MC?

Best of luck to those selected, hope you do the jumper proud and kick some butt.

We have holes in our list, no doubt, but our depth is solid, our best footy last year came at a time when we were hit by injury and this season we ran 2nd to Richmond on the injury list ( which is nothing to be proud of ) but still managed to make the 8.

Cmon Baggers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too sure what to make of the selections, it reeks of naming names instead of players on what they have done. Don't agree with Cincotta out and leaving a 1 armed Durdin and an out of form Motlop in but as everyone is saying, trust the MC?

Best of luck to those selected, hope you do the jumper proud and kick some butt.

We have holes in our list, no doubt, but our depth is solid, our best footy last year came at a time when we were hit by injury and this season we ran 2nd to Richmond on the injury list ( which is nothing to be proud of ) but still managed to make the 8.

Cmon Baggers
Yeah look I'm shocked to have Cincotta omitted when we have Fantasia, Durdin and Motlop in.

Surprised by taking in Durdin, Motlop and Fantasia
But no Owies I suspose means we need these guys

If TDK is playing then I suspect Fantasia is sub - but I fear it might be Kennedy (not the sub for mine)

This would mean our Bench is Cerra (mid), Kemp (Fwd), Cowan (b) and Kennedy (mid/foward)
With E Holland’s going through middle as well

I gotta say I would have preferrred Lord in middle over Kennedy

But I suspect more changes Game Day

Whatever happens - just want a win

Each to their own I guess - I still don't think not playing 2-gamers means we don't trust kids. Especially with what we have seen with the transition of Hollands and Cowan into the team in their first two years

More about fitness than experience. It's obvious Scott picked FIT players over names last night. Also, his players have been given more chances/opportunities during year to be able to step in and be ready

So much for the "next man up" theory

Interesting that Scott didn't rush back or risk Guthrie, Hawkins, Rohan, DeKoning who were all available and will play Reserves this weekend. Also, didn't risk Stewart. 5 very good players who are likely best 22

Hard to tell how bad Port were last night but I thought Geelongs energy and workrate all over the ground was a big statement
It's easier to not rush back or take a chance when you know you have at least next week no matter what.

Last edited:
Yeah I disagree - he’s small, he’s a forward, but he’s not the front & centre type - plays more like Martin.
He does in general, but still somehow gets to better crumbing spots than Motlop, Durdin or Fantasia - which tells you a bit about where our small/crumbing forwards are at.

Said when he first got shifted forward how can a half back flanker have more forward craft than our small forwards :drunk:

Last edited:
Strong side named the best side we could hope for. bring it on.
Pitto was never going to be dropped for TDK who is coming off a significant injury. Playing him forward is smart rotating into ruck.
And people who can’t believe Lord is dropped for Cerra. Are you serious?
Cerra back is a huge in for our midfield and when he is going he is very very good.
Lord showed some nice signs. But was fumbling one to two times around stoppage against saints. Imagine that against Brisbane in a final at the Gabba. Cerra is so much cleaner and experienced.
Overall solid teaCerr

More about fitness than experience. It's obvious Scott picked FIT players over names last night. Also, his players have been given more chances/opportunities during year to be able to step in and be ready

So much for the "next man up" theory
I definitely would have played cooper lord over Cerra but most of the Geelong players playing their first final are mature age recruits or players that have been in the system 3 or more years

He does in general, but still somehow gets to better crumbing spots than Motlop, Durdin or Fantasia - which tells you a bit about where out small/crumbing forwards are at.

Said when he first got shifted forward how can a half back flanker have more forward craft than our small forwards :drunk:
Fantasia playing more HHF.

So Williams is a better footballer than Motlop & Durdin in their relative infancy - no great surprise.

Their role is effectively to hold the ball in & snag a couple of goals if they can.

I think they can do the job.

TDK named on the field. I’m thinking then the sub will be one of the five on the bench. Leaning towards Cerra given we have the 3 smalls and if we’re struggling in the midfield and the smalls aren’t providing enough then he’ll come in at the expense of one of them.

Kennedy and Kemp are more versatile, Cowan the extra defender and could also be a surprise further up the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back