Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost certain this will be a night game given 2 x Victorian clubs and no travel implications.

Ironically will be our first prime time free to air game of the year.
Yup you would think with carlton or freo travelling to brisbane they would have them the arvo game to allow them to fly home that night

Left field: does Phillips or Seromg come in to play on Darcy?

We’re mobile enough to really hurt them if we win or break even in the air.

But we’re one tall short I reckon, particularly with Sic’s shoulder.

We only need to get the ball to ground up forward and we’ll still kick goals.

Live and die by the sword.

Back our run out of half back will create more goals than we concede to their height.

Zero chance. Only 1 change.

Finals are not the time to be experimenting with structure, especially with two players that have sub 10 games.

We will be undersized as we have been for most of the year. Responsibility will be placed on our midfield and small forwards to apply massive pressure to ensure our backline has protection.

If we do have the protection their three talls could hurt (like Adelaide) because all four of our defenders can get involved in rebound. Darcy will beat Weddle in an isolated marking contested but won't catch him on a run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs backline will struggle against our mid and small forwards if we get it in with speed. Conversely, we will find their talls hard to handle if the ball comes in with speed.

It will be interesting to see if Harry or CJ (assuming he’s fit) will be preferred. Harry more composed and reliable vs the game breaking potential and speed of CJ. Harry for mine but will be fascinating. Even though big bodies are key Finn is not clean enough by foot for a high pressure game at this point so think Frenchie gets the nod (unless Day is out then both will play).

Reckon Gunston plays a role on Lobb who is looking good in defence. Outside of Bont, Bailey Dale is their other key. They’ll put work into Sicily and we need to do the same with Dale because he is their best user.

Nash to watch Bont is a must and someone to get stuck into that grub Libba around stoppage.

We have a more even spread across the park but you can bet their players will be very physical and try to unsettle us (because they know the umpires will have their back). Ginni, Watson, Sicily, Frost and Newk will need to keep their cool as they will likely be targets.

We have nothing to lose and that makes us very dangerous.

I wouldn't think.
We haven't done left field all year so I can't imagine we will now.
There will be no surprises at selection.

3 form teams in the comp, and now one is guaranteed to be eliminated in the first week.

A real shame that the cockroaches from Geelong get a double chance, or could easily win their way through to a Grand Final they have no right being near.
We can only hope they lose to Port, we win and then dismantle the handbaggers once again at the G!
How sweet that sounds.

Zero chance. Only 1 change.
Yep - we have absolutely belted everyone save for GWS in the last 6 weeks.

We are the best in the comp for not conceding scores.

You don’t mess around with that.

Both teams are very different to when we last played each other, but on paper I think this is the worst case scenario for us in terms of matchups.

Hopefully both Nash and Day are good to go as the midfield battle could be a special one:

Day, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Mackenzie
vs
The Bont, Treloar, Libba, Richards, Macrae

If Finn stays in the side then he's got to tag Dale, who is the most damaging HBF in the league.

Nash can play on the Bont and try to stop his movement around stoppages. It's a hard task, but he's got the size and has done it once previously.

We've got to worry about their three talls. But they have to worry about our small forwards and run from defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back