Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a really interesting match.

Both sides have potent midfield groups. Libba, Treloar, Richards, Bont vs Nash, Worpel, Newcombe and Day. We’ve matched up reasonably well previously but Bont is the massive red flag. Meek gives us a much-needed advantage at ruck contests over English whereas English's work around the ground can hurt us.

Similarly, both sides rely on midfield dominance to cover their defensive liabilities.

Dogs are currently running Jones, O’Donnell & Lobb as key backs. Strong interceptors but little mobility. Their smalls provide potent drive but aren’t great defensively (Duryea, Bramble, Dale, Freijah). Imagine any of our smalls isolated vs Bramble with fast ball movement – we can do significant damage. They rely on midfield pressure to allow them to structure up.

Our smalls are sound defensively while providing rebound. However, our talls can struggle against bigger targets (Frost, Scrim, Weddle, Sic). We rely on our midfield pressure to allow our talls to structure up and use their mobility. Imagine any of their talls isolated vs Scrimshaw with fast ball movement – they can do significant damage. We rely on our midfield pressure to allow us to structure up.

Forward pressure will also be key for locking the ball in and preventing rebound as both teams enjoy fast slingshots. I think we have them covered here. Hardwick usually owns Weightman, and their other smalls aren’t as potent as ours. But like the GWS game, if our pressure is off, they can cut us up.

One thing is for certain – we will need to be at our best.

Barring an unbelievable effort from Carlton to beat St Kilda to the tune of 100 odd, we play the doggies first up - and it will be at the MCG.

There's a decent chance that the winner of this game, if they stay fit, will go on to win the whole thing. We'll need Day back and at 80% at least, and we'll need Nash rested and at 100% for a big game of boxing out and tackling.

Worst case scenario, I'm fully prepared to lose my mind as Libba registers his 10th centre clearance from obvious throws in the last quarter.

The rest of the 8 will be licking their lips at this match up. Whoever wins that's one wildcard out of the race they don't want to face.

Happy to take on the Dogs first up. Will of course hurt if we lose, but I'd rather it happen first up then after going deep and expectations growing with every win if that makes sense.

If we win, that's one big rival out of the way making our run just that little bit easier as I fancy our chances better against the rest.

Going to be a long fortnight looking forward to this game.

Finn is a liability, his poor disposal was noticeable in a 20 goal win. It becomes glaringly obvious how deficient his foot skills are against good sides.

I'd back Nash in to do a defensive job on Bont as he's the only one big enough to monster him around packs.
The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Dogs defence is always vulnerable to big scores against opponents.

Stop or limit Bont and you are 50% there. Will Day back is huge to win in the centre and lock ball in fwd half. MCG will suit our game as Dogs lack genuine wingers. This is our home game... big bonus.

2 weeks to prepare onwards and upwards.

Go Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finn to remain to tag bont?
No chance I'd reckon. Has been said a lot, we didn't run a genuine tag at any stage through the patch of form that got us here - yet every week someone says "Finn to tag X player?"

We'll back our mids to win the battle directly instead of wasting a rotation on a player with a singular role. Get the ball forward, challenge the Dogs half backs to do something they struggle with and be defensively accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back