Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Both teams are very different to when we last played each other, but on paper I think this is the worst case scenario for us in terms of matchups.

Hopefully both Nash and Day are good to go as the midfield battle could be a special one:

Day, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Mackenzie
vs
The Bont, Treloar, Libba, Richards, Macrae

If Finn stays in the side then he's got to tag Dale, who is the most damaging HBF in the league.

Nash can play on the Bont and try to stop his movement around stoppages. It's a hard task, but he's got the size and has done it once previously.

We've got to worry about their three talls. But they have to worry about our small forwards and run from defence.
Honestly if they're our worst case scenario, we're probably their worst case scenario as well. They've got a defensive line who want it coming in high and long, and they've got old man Duryea as their singular defensively accountable small. Meanwhile we've got Moore, Ginnivan, Watson and MacDonald all in ripping form offensively with Dear and Chol as two of the best talls in the league defensively and in general play.

It's all gonna be about the midfield battle, as it has been with us all year.

Hopefully it rains, we go alright in the wet. It would have been nice to have seen 90 000 at the G against the Blues. With the doggies it’s probably down to 60 000
No chance

The last 5 Hawthorn finals have drawn 87,000 plus (including 88,000 against the Dogs in 2016).

The last time we made the finals we drew a pair of 90,000 plus finals (2018), if we can't get 90,000 to this it reflects pretty poorly on our fan base to be honest

Last edited:
Both teams are very different to when we last played each other, but on paper I think this is the worst case scenario for us in terms of matchups.

Hopefully both Nash and Day are good to go as the midfield battle could be a special one:

Day, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Mackenzie
vs
The Bont, Treloar, Libba, Richards, Macrae

If Finn stays in the side then he's got to tag Dale, who is the most damaging HBF in the league.

Nash can play on the Bont and try to stop his movement around stoppages. It's a hard task, but he's got the size and has done it once previously.

We've got to worry about their three talls. But they have to worry about our small forwards and run from defence.
I actually think we are a bad match up for them .
They need to match up on our numerous mid/small options .
Our guys push hard up the field and will work back.
We can manipulate the best matchups for us and they don't ( and to be honest most don't) have a heap of options to cover us there.

Obviously their talls are a worry . Goes without saying .

It'll be your classic back your game in , whoever gets it for the majority most likely wins .

I remember 5th September 2008 when we played the Bulldogs who were one of only about 4 teams to beat us that year during the H&A and we absolutely dismantled them by over 50 points before 77,000 @ the G.

We did it then, we WILL do it again! Go Hawks, Go Finals!

I remember 5th September 2008 when we played the Bulldogs who were one of only about 4 teams to beat us that year during the H&A and we absolutely dismantled them by over 50 points before 77,000 @ the G.

We did it then, we WILL do it again! Go Hawks, Go Finals!
Still vividly remember Buddy dismantling them that night. What a game that was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope it doesn't mean anything but I was at a local game today and Hardwick was there somewhat limping around with a bandage on his upper left leg drinking a Carlton Draught.
Very important player so fingers crossed it doesn't mean anything

I’d much rather play Dogs in Melbourne than Brisbane in Brissie.
We’ve beaten the dogs the last two times we’ve played them.
Don’t seem to have played Brissie in Brissie for a while.
Take it to the bank we will play them in Brisbane next year. Fagen has cried to the afl about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back