Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting more settled with version 3, not sold on Williams or Harmes yet, Green will become Walsh in rnd3. Very much concentrating on value but I think I'm a little short still on captain options so Green could become Bont and Serong > Walsh. Amon will go to defence in rnd6.

Fantasy 2024 3rd draft.png

Berry is trading really well, however he’s a K-Mart version of Pedlar …. who the club primarily sees as a Mid

Berry will have to wait for injury opportunities IMO ….. Nankervis looking at a potential Wing role, has it all to be a good AFL Player

it’ll be a battle between Rachel’s and Rankine over mid minutes
What about Ben Keays who is still only 26 - does he still figure in some CBA's you think? He is more the immediate future getting a supporting role than Crouch - especially with Sloane going around again.

What about Ben Keays who is still only 26 - does he still figure in some CBA's you think? He is more the immediate future getting a supporting role than Crouch - especially with Sloane going around again.
Keays will stay as a hard running HFF …. with tagging roles on oppo quarter backs

Only time he’ll be in midfield rotations, will be if a tagging role is required

I'll be changing my focus on how I deal with the main byes this year. Used to concentrate on maximising the amount of players that I had available and really only started looking at those byes after round 9 or so, consequently I got caught out last season particularly in rnds 14/15 where all I had was a bucketload of rookies playing, so this year I'll be looking at maximising the keepers and MP's per round even if there's only 18 playing.

Each of the keepers that I upgrade to will be on specific lines and with regard to which rounds they're available. Right now I have the following mix.

Rnd 12.......2 premos out
Rnd 13.......3 premos out
Rnd 14.......4 premos out
Rnd 15.......4 premos out

What I'll be aiming for with upgrades up to and including rnd 12 trades

Rnd 12.......3 out---can add 1 more in forwards
Rnd 13.......5 out---can add 2 more, 1 in Def, 1 in Fwds
Rnd 14.......6 out---can add 2 more, 1 in mids, 1 in Fwds
Rnd 15.......6 out---can add 2 more, 1 in mids, 1 in Fwds

Then come rnd 13 target a rnd 12 player, rnd14 target a rnd 12/13 player, rnd 15 target a rnd 12/13/14 player with maybe a sideways move to get 18 premos on deck for that round.

I know it's early but just typing this out and going through it makes me realise what options and upgrades are available and those that I should be looking at.

Nice team, I like the backline with Himey in there as your only early bye player and Amon ready to chuck in there too, NWM will be getting most of the kickouts as well as being the main distributor, throw in Daicos and it's done.

Simpkin is an interesting one, guess you were tossing up with Guthrie/Crouch and can understand given his price.

Xerri being number one ruck is a good choice and I suppose you'd look to upgrade to Marshall/Gawn/Grundy at some stage, bit of a worry if he goes down as there's not a great deal of options at his price, maybe Flynn. I see Sweet at R3 but he doesn't have Fwd status limiting Jacko to just stay forward, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts there.

I'm worried about not starting English and Bont because it's going to be bloody hard to get them both in, so I'm looking at finding a way to get at least 1 of them particularly as an early captain choice, don't know if I'd start both as they play for the same team which means you have to choose one or the other rather than a VC/C

Edit.....Forgot to mention the Faulkhead pick, he really should do the deed poll thing. (I have Joe Furphy for the same reason)

Last edited:
The main thing working in Wines' favour is that Port are in 'win now' mode but he fell out of the midfield rotation with Horne-Francis the primary beneficiary. I've been looking at JHF as a value option this year as I would expect that trend to continue rather than Port looking back to Wines.

This is also why I don't understand the Crouch love at Adelaide. Aging former elite level mid finds form at the pointy end of the season but the Crows are further away from a flag than Port are. They need to be prioritising Rachele and Rankine over Crouch more than Port need to be prioritising Rozee, Butters and Horne-Francis over Wines. If numbers are anything to go by, I'd expect to see more of Harry Schoenberg than Crouch.
Could be wrong but I think Schoenberg is out for the year with an achillies

Let us know which way you go then, so the rest of us choose between the other two;)

There are some big, even specular drops in price from last year's starting price. Walsh, Miller, Macrae, Dunkley, T.Mitchell, Neale, Steele, JKelly, Short, Parker. Even Taranto is a big drop if you compare to what he reached last season.

Wine's drop looks persistent:

View attachment 1879917
Simpkin on the other hand could be a one off:
View attachment 1879918

Granted he is a year old than Wines, but Tom Mitchell (former pig) looks better for the same money:
View attachment 1879921
At 26 years, Simpkin looks the most likely to have the best return on $$$$
Good analysis. I think at that price bracket he’s a good option. He had a shocking year this year with 1/2 concussions early. One was at the end of the 1st or start of second quarter and he was on 43 or something.

After LDU you’d imagine he’s next picked in that midfield at least for the next few years while the highly rated juniors get their feet at AFL level

Nice team, I like the backline with Himey in there as your only early bye player and Amon ready to chuck in there too, NWM will be getting most of the kickouts as well as being the main distributor, throw in Daicos and it's done.

Simpkin is an interesting one, guess you were tossing up with Guthrie/Crouch and can understand given his price.

Xerri being number one ruck is a good choice and I suppose you'd look to upgrade to Marshall/Gawn/Grundy at some stage, bit of a worry if he goes down as there's not a great deal of options at his price, maybe Flynn. I see Sweet at R3 but he doesn't have Fwd status limiting Jacko to just stay forward, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts there.

I'm worried about not starting English and Bont because it's going to be bloody hard to get them both in, so I'm looking at finding a way to get at least 1 of them particularly as an early captain choice, don't know if I'd start both as they play for the same team which means you have to choose one or the other rather than a VC/C

Edit.....Forgot to mention the Faulkhead pick, he really should do the deed poll thing. (I have Joe Furphy for the same reason)
Just on the bolded. I think you have to start one of them.

+Round 15 bye
+Top captain option
+no R0 crap

- not value about the only negative

Bont had minor ankle surgery a month or so back so I’m leaning toward fading him to begin with which means selecting English as R1. Means missing one of Grundy/Gawn which is potential value missed but you get a damn good captain option week in week out to start the season

Just on the bolded. I think you have to start one of them.

+Round 15 bye
+Top captain option
+no R0 crap

- not value about the only negative

Bont had minor ankle surgery a month or so back so I’m leaning toward fading him to begin with which means selecting English as R1. Means missing one of Grundy/Gawn which is potential value missed but you get a damn good captain option week in week out to start the season
Agreed, I'll be going with Bont, too much value in the rucks to miss out on.

Good analysis. I think at that price bracket he’s a good option. He had a shocking year this year with 1/2 concussions early. One was at the end of the 1st or start of second quarter and he was on 43 or something.

After LDU you’d imagine he’s next picked in that midfield at least for the next few years while the highly rated juniors get their feet at AFL level
Does Simpkin score though? He potentially provides the most value of any player next year but he had 60% CBAs this year for an average of 75 (83 without his concussion games).

Does Simpkin score though? He potentially provides the most value of any player next year but he had 60% CBAs this year for an average of 75 (83 without his concussion games).
1704009914948.png

Judging by that I would say he has 20 points growth in him. If we get lucky could be even more. Moreira had him pegged for a 105+ season before a shit load of injuries ruined his year.

1704010001978.png

That's a serious amount of injuries in one year. No continuity whatsoever but you can see he has some elite scoring power. Can probably be forgiven for his lack of consistency last year given the injury run and 2 x concussion games.

I think he is an easy trade up to a fallen premium if he has a healthy start to the season

Yeah Daics was on the list, might even switch he and Sheez if funds allow, but comfortable enough 12 weeks out.

Keen to see how Guthrie's foot is going - he was nearly right toward the end of last year, then had a set back. As the load increases, let's see whether he keeps on the park.

It's Xerri or Grundy as a stepping stone for the first 5 weeks isn't it - and subject to Grundy's first score against Gawn in the historic Round 0. I liked Jacko's role last season - not sure if it will be the same but given the dearth of forwards he's OK for now, and an easy flip to C.Daniel if need be. He is probably unnecessary now that the impact of extra bye is better understood. I really like Sweety as he will be Port's main Ruck with Soldo injury prone. His game below his knees surprised me so he has got to role I reckon.

Got a love a good Faulkhead. Had client referred to me before Xmas and I thought it was a bit of gee up - Dick Lickfold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1880100

Judging by that I would say he has 20 points growth in him. If we get lucky could be even more. Moreira had him pegged for a 105+ season before a s**t load of injuries ruined his year.

That's a serious amount of injuries in one year. No continuity whatsoever but you can see he has some elite scoring power. Can probably be forgiven for his lack of consistency last year given the injury run and 2 x concussion games.

I think he is an easy trade up to a fallen premium if he has a healthy start to the season

I'll back him in I think.

1704019289915.png

Don't have access to my laptop for the next little while so can't screenshot.

Managed to settle on a structure today that for the first time, I felt somewhat happy with.

A number of picks that I'm not tied to namely Dawson, Hamling and Sweet (at R3). Given they're pricey options, I should easily be able to downgrade them when teams are named if needed.

DEF: NWM, Young, Himmelberg, Chapman, Coffield, Hore

(Hamling, Gibcus)

MID: Dawson, Brayshaw, Serong, Butters, Simpkin, Mckercher, Sanders, Sharp

(Watson, Curtin)

RUCK: English, Xerri

(Sweet)

FWD: Macrae, Moore, Jordon, Fin Macrae, Reid, Duursma

(Wilson, Caddy)

Util: Allan

I suppose I should start looking at putting a team together now that it's January. Feel December was way too early to open it up. Still recovering from last season's pain.
Waiting GIF

My current iteration;

• Stacked backline. Like Short to return to his prior backline role and score well. NWM to take another step again. Will be reliant on Williams and Coffield not breaking down in PS.
  • M1-4 all have age profile and I feel have a little bit of upside value. Walsh pick will be dependent on his R0 score.
  • Not keen on an aging Gawn to start. Soldo has a decent fixture run to start. Happy to fade English at his starting price.
  • Moore I prefer over the unknowns of Macrae/Flanders...rest of it made up with rookies who will likely be slow burns, but shouldn't have to rely too heavily on their scores in the early going with the best 18 bye rounds rules in place.
  • $24k ITB
1704288178593.png

1704329146408.png
402k in the bank

mostly trying to avoid those early bye players

may switch williams to chapman if chap shows something/plays more wing

yous have convinced me to go simpkin instead of crouch but also keeping an eye on Amon

will def have some combo of rozee/butters/bray/serong just got to pick 2 of them i think theyll be up there again, Nuke looks prime and hoping has some more growth in him

cant not have English again after last year, not fully convinced on grundy but has value

flanders as i dont like macrae, dusty i reckon has one more year at the top level so starting with him for now, fisher is a watch and hopefully gets that HB spot and racks up some touches

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back