List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Phew! I still have time.

DOB- Late 1959.

184cm, 73kg(all muscle and sinew).

Strengths-
Trash talk.
Mongrel.
Will run all day both ways... slowly.

Weaknesses-
Never played a game of Australian Rules.
Marking/kicking/handballing.

Draft Range-
Late AFL Rookie draft Category P(local sexagenarian allowance) selection.

I like this resource from the draft board, 8 different draft rankings averaged out. Going by this there could be a few handy players still available for us in the 30s/40s eg. Phoenix Gothard, Will Dawson, Zane Zakostelsky, Luamon Lual, Kane McAuliffe, Shaun Mannagh, Joel Freijah.
1699660477568-png.1850284

I like this resource from the draft board, 8 different draft rankings averaged out. Going by this there could be a few handy players still available for us in the 30s/40s eg. Phoenix Gothard, Will Dawson, Zane Zakostelsky, Luamon Lual, Kane McAuliffe, Shaun Mannagh, Joel Freijah.
Mannagh is ranked 55 on this list and 45 on "Clubs2Lions" posted foxsports list.

The Lions mature age pickups since 2016 with little or no AFL experience.
Darrah Joyce (previously played 13 AFL games), Darcy Fort (8), Brandon Ryan this year (3) then Oscar, Matt Eagles, Mitch Cox & McDowell-White.

I would be quite happy if the club decides to again pick a mature age player they think he might be suitable to our needs.

trade up and grab Archer Reid. I like that he tends to jump (doesn't seem to have a big leap though) at the ball and can read it fairly well in the air. Doesn't look overly athletic but can cover ground well and doesn't look like a lumbering type. Not overly explosive which might be a concern. But would rather him than a few other names on the above list around the draft mark he's projected to be at. Think he could be serviceable once his body develops. Maybe a poor man's Todd Marshall?

Great resource to see the variation of opinions, particularly in the Round 2 onwards picks that will be of interest to the Lions.

6 spots to fill, but I think they will only pick a maximum of 4 or less in the draft.

Any thoughts on if this would be possible?
Trade picks 30, 39, 51, 54, 67, and F4(originally Hawthorn) to Gold Coast, for picks 27, 32, and F2(originally Brisbane). Some extra points to the Gold Coast for their Academy kids this year, Brisbane move up the draft order slightly, and improve to reinstate their original picks for next year.

1. Pick 27 for Mitchell Edwards listed as a 206cm ruck, but good mover, willing to fly for a mark, good at ground level, and a simple straight kicking action. Good highlights package. I see him as a replacement for Joe Daniher Rather than just a ruckman.
2. Pick 32 for Cooper Simpson. This bloke looks a jet. Ideal Zorko replacement. It would be fun with him and Wilmot in the same team.
3. Pick 97 remains, so after passes from other clubs this will come in as late 50s or early 60s. The prediction is that there may be less than 60 selections overall. This pick could be used on the “best of the rest“. Possible choice of Will Brown, or Zane McAuliffe ( although he has been interviewed by a lot of clubs), or Luke Lloyd, or Shaun Mannagh.
4. I’d pick up Jackson Hately as a delisted free agent, as a possible inside mid to cover for Will Ashcroft for the first half of the year. Beyond that he is probably a replacement or slight upgrade on Lyons and Mathieson.
5. Rookie Draft. Best available with their first pick. Although there is some word that Bruce Reville is being considered.
6. Patrick Snell (Brisbane Academy)

Had a look at a top 50 draft list and there's about 5 players I'd be happy taking ranked 30 and above. No tall fwds. A cpl of tall defenders, Zakostelsky n Dawson. A cpl of sm fwds, Gothard n Mannagh. And a winger, Freijah. If better rated players in these roles are gone by our selections, I think there's a mix of talent with some potential. Some versatility in the tall defenders and winger. Their roles meet a need in 2-3yrs for the sm fwds the defenders have time to become depth in that 2-3yrs and long term replacements after that. Mannagh is ready to go, already a depth player where options are limited.

Had a look at a top 50 draft list and there's about 5 players I'd be happy taking ranked 30 and above. No tall fwds. A cpl of tall defenders, Zakostelsky n Dawson. A cpl of sm fwds, Gothard n Mannagh. And a winger, Freijah. If better rated players in these roles are gone by our selections, I think there's a mix of talent with some potential. Some versatility in the tall defenders and winger. Their roles meet a need in 2-3yrs for the sm fwds the defenders have time to become depth in that 2-3yrs and long term replacements after that. Mannagh is ready to go, already a depth player where options are limited.
I like all 5 players that you mentioned, Wil Dawson is not just a defender, from my reading of the main draft board he is/was primarily a forward, also a handy back up ruck.

Really like Phoenix Gothard and Shaun Mannagh who is a Zorko "type" as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like all 5 players that you mentioned, Wil Dawson is not just a defender, from my reading of the main draft board he is/was primarily a forward, also a handy back up ruck.

Really like Phoenix Gothard and Shaun Mannagh who is a Zorko "type" as well.
Yeah, Dawson definitely covers some bases. Where ever he settles as a player, fwd or back, he's a developing need. Is there potential for him to become a genuine swing player?

Mannagh is Zorko like as a player and as a late starter. I'm not sure of his age, I'm thinking 24/25, so he's got 5 plus years. His body has developed and is match harder. He is pretty much depth ready now. And could take an opportunity by with both hands.

Although if I'm wrong about Mannagh's age and he's 27/28 I'd opt for Gothard (man, the child in me wants to make a stiffy joke). Sounds like a real terrier, chases, pressures, tackles and can kick goals as well. We're not desperate for sm fwd depth now, Lohmann, Ah Chee, so taking a younger player with those qualities to develop for a cpl of years could pay off longer term.

Most years recently we've had a draftee or two break into the firsts. Could you see any of the 5 mentioned doing that? Mannagh quite possibly, of the 4 others what do you think?

If we only draft 2 plus the upgrade to Carter Michael. I'd be inclined to take 2 talls but 1 tall n 1 small makes sense. So does 1 tall and the winger. I'm pretty much good with any of those combo's with any of those players.

Great resource to see the variation of opinions, particularly in the Round 2 onwards picks that will be of interest to the Lions.

6 spots to fill, but I think they will only pick a maximum of 4 or less in the draft.

Any thoughts on if this would be possible?
Trade picks 30, 39, 51, 54, 67, and F4(originally Hawthorn) to Gold Coast, for picks 27, 32, and F2(originally Brisbane). Some extra points to the Gold Coast for their Academy kids this year, Brisbane move up the draft order slightly, and improve to reinstate their original picks for next year.

1. Pick 27 for Mitchell Edwards listed as a 206cm ruck, but good mover, willing to fly for a mark, good at ground level, and a simple straight kicking action. Good highlights package. I see him as a replacement for Joe Daniher Rather than just a ruckman.
2. Pick 32 for Cooper Simpson. This bloke looks a jet. Ideal Zorko replacement. It would be fun with him and Wilmot in the same team.
3. Pick 97 remains, so after passes from other clubs this will come in as late 50s or early 60s. The prediction is that there may be less than 60 selections overall. This pick could be used on the “best of the rest“. Possible choice of Will Brown, or Zane McAuliffe ( although he has been interviewed by a lot of clubs), or Luke Lloyd, or Shaun Mannagh.
4. I’d pick up Jackson Hately as a delisted free agent, as a possible inside mid to cover for Will Ashcroft for the first half of the year. Beyond that he is probably a replacement or slight upgrade on Lyons and Mathieson.
5. Rookie Draft. Best available with their first pick. Although there is some word that Bruce Reville is being considered.
6. Patrick Snell (Brisbane Academy)
If we got Edwards and Simpson with our first two picks I'd be rapt. I agree on Simpson, looks quality. Maybe his size has detracted recruiters/ media from being a top 20 prospect but from what I've seen his skill level is great and doesn't seem to have any obvious deficiencies. Apparently it's his versatility. But versatility can also be a hindrance. If a player can be a gun at one position that's enough. Can easily see him playing high half forward and mid at AFL level.

We would most likely have to upgrade our first to get an Edwards or Reid.

There is a fan phantom draft just winding up on the draft forum.

So fans of their own clubs, with a greater understanding of their teams list needs selecting.

The Lions first pick was pushed back due to pick 34, by which stage the only Phoenix Gothard and Freijah were the only kids left on board, of those you mentioned (plus Mannagh as a mature age prospect).

Yeah, Dawson definitely covers some bases. Where ever he settles as a player, fwd or back, he's a developing need. Is there potential for him to become a genuine swing player?

Mannagh is Zorko like as a player and as a late starter. I'm not sure of his age, I'm thinking 24/25, so he's got 5 plus years. His body has developed and is match harder. He is pretty much depth ready now. And could take an opportunity by with both hands.

Although if I'm wrong about Mannagh's age and he's 27/28 I'd opt for Gothard (man, the child in me wants to make a stiffy joke). Sounds like a real terrier, chases, pressures, tackles and can kick goals as well. We're not desperate for sm fwd depth now, Lohmann, Ah Chee, so taking a younger player with those qualities to develop for a cpl of years could pay off longer term.

Most years recently we've had a draftee or two break into the firsts. Could you see any of the 5 mentioned doing that? Mannagh quite possibly, of the 4 others what do you think?

If we only draft 2 plus the upgrade to Carter Michael. I'd be inclined to take 2 talls but 1 tall n 1 small makes sense. So does 1 tall and the winger. I'm pretty much good with any of those combo's with any of those players.
Mannagh being a mature ager is the obvious one who could make an immediate impact, would find it difficult to get into the side though, unless we copped a couple of injuries. If it came down to a choice on the night with both available at our pick I would go Gothard because of his age and upside potential.

Linc is already 30 and Charlie turns 30 before the start of next season, hopefully they both still have 3 years of good footy left in them.

Any young tall who comes in is obviously going to need a few seasons development ah la Kalin Lane and Henry Smith.

Mannagh being a mature ager is the obvious one who could make an immediate impact, would find it difficult to get into the side though, unless we copped a couple of injuries. If it came down to a choice on the night with both available at our pick I would go Gothard because of his age and upside potential.

Linc is already 30 and Charlie turns 30 before the start of next season, hopefully they both still have 3 years of good footy left in them.

Any young tall who comes in is obviously going to need a few seasons development ah la Kalin Lane and Henry Smith.
Young talls needing 3yrs or so to develop is something that puzzles me. I look at the successful fwds (by successful I mean holding down a spot in firsts or made a career in the role) and there's a lot that were thrown in early as young lads. The King boys most recently, Browny, Buddy I think was 19, even Hippy was thrown in the deepend first season. Just to name a few. So it's not just the early draft picks, or the most talented, or with the biggest body (Hippy eg) that been given that early career start and succeeded. I'd love to see the data on tall fwds early debut v those with 3-4yrs development and how many make it.

I think you find out early if a young fwd has it or not, Hippy did, Schache didn't, both taken same draft, both first year debutantes.

I don't know, are we mollycoddleing them too much. Should we test them early, sink or swim. Tall fwds hey, bloody enigmas.

Young talls needing 3yrs or so to develop is something that puzzles me. I look at the successful fwds (by successful I mean holding down a spot in firsts or made a career in the role) and there's a lot that were thrown in early as young lads. The King boys most recently, Browny, Buddy I think was 19, even Hippy was thrown in the deepend first season. Just to name a few. So it's not just the early draft picks, or the most talented, or with the biggest body (Hippy eg) that been given that early career start and succeeded. I'd love to see the data on tall fwds early debut v those with 3-4yrs development and how many make it.

I think you find out early if a young fwd has it or not, Hippy did, Schache didn't, both taken same draft, both first year debutantes.

I don't know, are we mollycoddleing them too much. Should we test them early, sink or swim. Tall fwds hey, bloody enigmas.T
The one thing the early ones seem to have is a fierce appetite for the contest. Browny showed this in spades and even Hippy with his light frame still threw himself at contests.

The one thing the early ones seem to have is a fierce appetite for the contest. Browny showed this in spades and even Hippy with his light frame still threw himself at contests.
Yes an appetite for the contest and mongrel is a non negotiable.... no more Schache's please.

Yes an appetite for the contest and mongrel is a non negotiable.... no more Schache's please.
This is why I like the look of Mitchell Edwards. 206cm, flies for marks, seems to have that mongrel about him at Under 18 level. Monsters the other kids.
I've said this before, that I see him as a Joe Daniher replacement in s few years.
Predictions have him anywhere from pick 20 to pick 40. I'd be pleased if the Lions could trade up into the early to mid 20s to have a chance at him

I don't know, are we mollycoddleing them too much. Should we test them early, sink or swim. Tall fwds hey, bloody enigmas.
It's a position that relies a lot on size so you've got to have pretty prodigious attributes to make it early when you don't have the bulk just yet. You won't find a lot of AFL-ready teenage KPPs without a single-digit draft pick and you probably can't stock both your KPP lines with such players.

Show us extra points :)
The Suns have already prepared for an array of early bids on their academy prospects as they hold six second-round selections: Picks 24, 26, 27, 32, 36 and 38. However it’s understood the Suns are open to splitting Pick 24 – the second pick of the second round of the draft – in order to gain more points. The Brisbane Lions are one of several clubs exploring ways to get their hands on Pick 24.

All the players you named were drafted to teams that really didn’t have a key forward with a name. They played because there was no one else at the clubs keeping them out of the first team.

Young talls still need time to develop, grow in to and build their bodies. KPP’s drafted early are, by nature of the draft system, going to weaker teams bereft of talent. They’re going to play first team footy early and often.

Being drafted to the Lions will more than likely mean playing reserves and bidding their time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back