Prediction 2024 Fixture Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad to see a couple of teams currently in the 8 with hard draws from here.
What continually amazes me is how bias the AFL are in regularly ensuring certain VIC teams who they obviously want to see thrive are consistently looked after in the draw (who can forget Collingwood not leaving the MCG in like the last eight H&A games last year) and I bet if you asked them they’d pretend it’s all just an anomaly. It really is a rort and you know irrespective of anything that happens this year, Essendon will be the beneficiary of a soft draw next year you can just bet on it.

On a day where Fremantle are complaining about the amount of travel they have to do, we are not far behind.

I've probably mentioned this more than anyone else but I still think it's very unfair that we have away games against Port, Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle plus the Gather Round making it 5 trips to SA/WA. No club in the history of the AFL has had to travel to SA/WA this many times in a season. I've had a quick look through the draw and I might be wrong but no other club has that many trips west.

3 of those trips are done but we still have away games vs. Port and WC to come.

Giving Freo/WC an extra home game to make up for the Gather Round would mean you'd have to do the same for NSW/QLD teams - the point that the GR is a free home game for SA based teams though is still a fair one.

On a day where Fremantle are complaining about the amount of travel they have to do, we are not far behind.

I've probably mentioned this more than anyone else but I still think it's very unfair that we have away games against Port, Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle plus the Gather Round making it 5 trips to SA/WA. No club in the history of the AFL has had to travel to SA/WA this many times in a season. I've had a quick look through the draw and I might be wrong but no other club has that many trips west.

3 of those trips are done but we still have away games vs. Port and WC to come.

Giving Freo/WC an extra home game to make up for the Gather Round would mean you'd have to do the same for NSW/QLD teams - the point that the GR is a free home game for SA based teams though is still a fair one.
Agree with most except Freo/WC don't get an extra home game to make up for gather round.
However, they have the derby (2 games) that allows both sides to not travel, so both sides play 12 games at Optus.
They alternate the home dressing sheds and home game status each year for that 2nd game.

Port plays 13 games at Adelaide Oval in 2024.
That being 11 home games + 1 Derby game (alternate home game status) + 1 Gather round at Adelaide Oval in 2024.
Adelaide also plays 13 games at Adelaide Oval the breakup the same as Port above.

Agree with most except Freo/WC don't get an extra home game to make up for gather round.
However, they have the derby (2 games) that allows both sides to not travel, so both sides play 12 games at Optus.
They alternate the home dressing sheds and home game status each year for that 2nd game.

Port plays 13 games at Adelaide Oval in 2024.
That being 11 home games + 1 Derby game (alternate home game status) + 1 Gather round at Adelaide Oval in 2024.
Adelaide also plays 13 games at Adelaide Oval the breakup the same as Port above.
West Coast and Freo have their own dressing rooms at Optus; they don’t alternate.

Given who plays who in round 24, I reckon the Lions v Bombers game will almost certainly be the Friday night game at the Gabba particularly with the connotations that will likely flow from the game.
Speaking of Friday night games, the AFL may soon be thinking it was a pretty shit idea dumping us to Sundays off our start of year form.
We play a pretty attractive brand of footy when we are up and running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Friday night games, the AFL may soon be thinking it was a pretty shit idea dumping us to Sundays off our start of year form.
We play a pretty attractive brand of footy when we are up and running.

Sunday 1:10 pm Brisbane vs Sydney at the Gabba is a big loss considering the FTA games are Essendon vs Adelaide, Geelong vs Dogs and Freo vs Melbourne.

I get as far as the 3rd paragraph before I crack the sh!ts.

“The two KPIs of the fixture are broadcast viewership and attendance”

Fair dinkum, they should be "equity" and "fairness", not to mention "transparency".

Every season, at the end of week 17 (which I believe is now week 18), the average NFL fan sitting on their couch at home immediately knows exactly who their team will be playing next year. And I think they even know where as well. The "when" is obviously determined later but genuinely you can barely get more transparent than that.

That's a benchmark we can only dream of here while we are still mired in this desperate quest for "viewership and attendance" instead. It's backwater bush league stuff.

I get as far as the 3rd paragraph before I crack the sh!ts.

“The two KPIs of the fixture are broadcast viewership and attendance”

Fair dinkum, they should be "equity" and "fairness", not to mention "transparency".

Every season, at the end of week 17 (which I believe is now week 18), the average NFL fan sitting on their couch at home immediately knows exactly who their team will be playing next year. And I think they even know where as well. The "when" is obviously determined later but genuinely you can barely get more transparent than that.

That's a benchmark we can only dream of here while we are still mired in this desperate quest for "viewership and attendance" instead. It's backwater bush league stuff.
Maybe one day it will dawn on the AFL that without the clubs with reasonably low supporter bases you can't have clubs with mammoth supporter bases. They have to play somebody.

If you publicise ,promote and give considerable advantages to the most popular clubs first of all you jeopardise the integrity of the competition and growth of the game in all jurisdictions , and secondly end up boring people shitless with the same old year after year.

Population growth ,particularly in Melbourne has deluded the AFL into thinking the interest in games there is growth whereas it's just a natural demographic extension.

I’m a retired high school teacher from Melbourne. For about two decades, we’d have a footy colours day as a fundraiser. The kids would pay a gold coin and wear their football gear to school.

When I started teaching at my last school in the mid 90’s, just about every kid wore an AFL jumper or something. They all identified with their particular tribe.

By the time I retired in 2019, about a quarter of the kids were wearing AFL gear. Most were wearing basketball, soccer, NFL…

The corporate obsession of the AFL management is poisoning the well of future supporters.

i now believe there is a pathway to the top 8 and hopefully 6th. Lions win 6 of their last 9, get to 54 points and have a better % than Freo, who have also had the draw. On paper Freo does appear to have a slightly easier draw, hope Eagles can beat them in the derby.

I’m a retired high school teacher from Melbourne. For about two decades, we’d have a footy colours day as a fundraiser. The kids would pay a gold coin and wear their football gear to school.

When I started teaching at my last school in the mid 90’s, just about every kid wore an AFL jumper or something. They all identified with their particular tribe.

By the time I retired in 2019, about a quarter of the kids were wearing AFL gear. Most were wearing basketball, soccer, NFL…

The corporate obsession of the AFL management is poisoning the well of future supporters.

This has nothing to do with the AFL and more to do with how it’s a lot trendier and acceptable to wear the latter tops around as casual wear and how much more accessible top international sports are compared to the mid 90’s.

i now believe there is a pathway to the top 8 and hopefully 6th. Lions win 6 of their last 9, get to 54 points and have a better % than Freo, who have also had the draw. On paper Freo does appear to have a slightly easier draw, hope Eagles can beat them in the derby.
Who are the 3 teams you have beating us on the way home?

Who are the 3 teams you have beating us on the way home?

I could see losses to Adelaide Sydney Gold Coast gws and collingwood

And if we are off our game also st Kilda and Essendon

And if we are off our game and they play well (which they have been at home) west coast

I could see losses to Adelaide Sydney Gold Coast gws and collingwood

And if we are off our game also st Kilda and Essendon

And if we are off our game and they play well (which they have been at home) west coast
So 0-9 and a 15th place finish.
Bring on Levi before a bid.

So 0-9 and a 15th place finish.
Bring on Levi before a bid.

My point is more I don’t see any games which are cruisey. I think this week against the Dees will be the easiest of our remaining games.

If we play like we have been playing I could see us going 7-9 wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 Fixture Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back