Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the 3 week suspension Higgins got for his tackle was ridiculous but the Cameron and Bedford ones were even worse.

They are both taking it to the appeals board tomorrow night, they are probably wasting their time but at least it sends a message.

This whole MRO then Tribunal then Appeals Board setup needs to be looked at surely. Simplified perhaps. Seems like every week now there's a couple of players going to the Appeals Board, what a waste of time and money. Interesting too that both of the tackles are being lobbed together by the media when I would say Good Guy Charlie has more of a case to answer due to the driving motion he employs after initially grabbing the guy.

"The WA Transport Workers Union said the situation forced cabin crew to manage the situation by manually scooping toilet waste into basins."

If this had been St Kilda flying home, the AFL would have made our players and coaches do the "manual scooping" lol

This whole MRO then Tribunal then Appeals Board setup needs to be looked at surely. Simplified perhaps. Seems like every week now there's a couple of players going to the Appeals Board, what a waste of time and money. Interesting too that both of the tackles are being lobbed together by the media when I would say Good Guy Charlie has more of a case to answer due to the driving motion he employs after initially grabbing the guy.
The problem as I see it is that every year the focus on the MRO and reports is increasing, when really the talk should be more about the footy.

Three x 3-week suspensions in one weekend must surely be unheard of.

I don’t know how they solve it, because every tackle is different, but they’d better do something, fast.

I was sure there was an article on the fox footy site this morning about how the umpires haven't trained skills collectively for years, which is one reason for so many poor calls.

But a few hours later, it's disappeared.

Well I guess the umpiring is fine and we should probably move along.

I was sure there was an article on the fox footy site this morning about how the umpires haven't trained skills collectively for years, which is one reason for so many poor calls.

AFL is watching mate.. might want to reconsider this post if you like having your organs

What a joke of a legal technicality to get off on.

Akin to a murderer getting off because the prosecution forgot to ask if pulling the trigger and blowing the persons brains out had the potential to cause harm.

These errors of law are bordering on ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron and Bedford both getting their suspensions overturned, maybe we should have appealed the Higgins suspension as well.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

What a joke of a legal technicality to get off on.

Akin to a murderer getting off because the prosecution forgot to ask if pulling the trigger and blowing the persons brains out had the potential to cause harm.

These errors of law are bordering on ridiculous.

Not quite.

It's more akin to there being one document that states "murder is bad, mmkay" and a second statement that "explains that "murder might use many implements at disposal and might very much result in other damages incurred by other parties and elements.".

Then the murderer, after getting busted and taken to court goes "the cop only mentioned that murder was bad, but I used a bowling ball and that's only covered by an addendum in a Dr Seuss book and not in the explanation of document."

Then the judge throws out the case based on the bowling ball not being listed in the many implements nor being recited previously by the arresting officer.

Cameron and Bedford both getting their suspensions overturned, maybe we should have appealed the Higgins suspension as well.
So now the outcome of a tackle being a concussion is ok?
I’m not saying they should have upheld both suspensions at all but how do we expect the players to even know how to tackle anymore?

The game is played at speed, accidents will happen, but this weekend when someone does the same or similar not one of us will have a clue how it will be adjudged.

The whole thing is a sh*tshow.

Not quite.

It's more akin to there being one document that states "murder is bad, mmkay" and a second statement that "explains that "murder might use many implements at disposal and might very much result in other damages incurred by other parties and elements.".

Then the murderer, after getting busted and taken to court goes "the cop only mentioned that murder was bad, but I used a bowling ball and that's only covered by an addendum in a Dr Seuss book and not in the explanation of document."

Then the judge throws out the case based on the bowling ball not being listed in the many implements nor being recited previously by the arresting officer.
Not quite right.

Essentially the Appeals Board found that the Tribunal had convicted someone of Rough Conduct without actually considering whether the act was Rough Conduct or not.

And Camerons tackle was in no way Rough Conduct and his original suspension was ridiculous.

So now the outcome of a tackle being a concussion is ok?
I’m not saying they should have upheld both suspensions at all but how do we expect the players to even know how to tackle anymore?

The game is played at speed, accidents will happen, but this weekend when someone does the same or similar not one of us will have a clue how it will be adjudged.

The whole thing is a sh*tshow.

They need to set the new rules in stone. Either say that they aren’t allowed to take them forcefully to ground or can’t pin both arms etc. Obviously they want to end head trauma but rule change by stealth is just sloppy admin. It’s not for the MRO to make the rules fit the outcome.

WOW. People got upset about that?! Goodness grief. It was funny without being over the top, I mean the AFL itself had been publishing the all-time fine's list in the weeks leading up to that. I saw Joey on Fox telling people to chill at the time and he was totally right. Kind of forget just how uptight Australia is these days, living o/s.

May as well just outlaw humour all together, just in case someone were to, heaven forbid, get upset. Or, heaven, God and all the angels forbid, have their feelings hurt. We couldn't have that!

Last edited:

Dwayne Russell had a pretty in depth chat with Shane McInerney about it today:

At this point it should be listenable on the bottom link.

WOW. People got upset about that?! Goodness grief. It was funny without being over the top, I mean the AFL itself had been publishing the all-time fine's list in the weeks leading up to that. I saw Joey on Fox telling people to chill at the time and he was totally right. Kind of forget just how uptight Australia is these days, living o/s.

May as well just outlaw humour all together, just in case someone were to, heaven forbid, get upset. Or, heaven, God and all the angels forbid, have their feelings hurt. We couldn't have that!
everyone laughed but Sydney, what a precious club it is

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back