Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a wedded on 50 plus footy fan. Or was...

I've not watched a footy show, listened to the radio, watched the Brownlow etc since we finished our season. Just been on here.

Watched our women and the finals games but nothing else. Even 2 years ago I'd be consuming AFL media once our season was done but not now. My only link to the AFL is the Saints. I just feel too burned as a St Kilda supporter with our ongoing poor treatment by the AFL. This Battle decision is going to be a big marker for me if I want to continue throwing good money after bad.

Are many others the same?

I've not watched a footy show, listened to the radio, watched the Brownlow etc since we finished our season. Just been on here.

Watched our women and the finals games but nothing else. Even 2 years ago I'd be consuming AFL media once our season was done but not now. My only link to the AFL is the Saints. I just feel too burned as a St Kilda supporter with our ongoing poor treatment by the AFL. This Battle decision is going to be a big marker for me if I want to continue throwing good money after bad.

Yes.
The Battle decision won't greatly effect me but it will probably hasten the slide.
If it goes against us then at least the agenda is out in the open, though for those who pay attention it's been obvious for a long while.
It's not like we're asking much either. Just the rub of the green on a 50/50 decision for once.

Not quite the same, but I can't stand the footy media so basically completely avoid it. Every time I watch a footy show it's either some ex-player fellating his former club, or some random pundit beating up on a minnow club. Their views are so dumb and subjective that it adds nothing to my life to watch it.

I still think the game itself is great, and the administration isn't corrupt so much as incompetent and short-term focused, but I agree it looks the same from the outside.

Well reading some reviews of the new Katy Perry album released last week has been pretty funny. To say it's been widely panned would be a gross understatement. First single released a few months ago was a devastatingly complete flop. Right about then it seems the AFL thought it'd be a grand idea to pay her a million bucks for grand final day. Here's a couple of quotes from reviews to give you the general idea...

"...have created a pop vacuum, completely devoid of heart and personality"

""143" sounds like an AI bot was asked to make a Katy Perry parody album. These songs are mind-numbingly repetitive, aiming for nostalgia and landing somewhere in between stale and imitative."

"Flat synths and anonymous lyrics dominate the "143" landscape. Perry was never considered a lyrical mastermind, but her signature humor, once warm, wet, and wild, has melted like a popsicle. We're left with syrupy slop like, "Kitty, kitty, wanna come party tonight / Trippy, trippy, daddy, take me on a ride," and "Yeah, I got those palpitations / Those boom-boom-booms.""

Ouch.

We could be in for a grand final spectacle of Meatloavian proportions! Can't wait! 😀

Nahhhh.

The Daicos goal with the three give and goes was ****ing elite. Has all the skills and athleticism you want. That should have won it TBH (noting there were no freak snaps this year).

On Daicos' first possession he scrubs it and misses his target, his second sits it on the head of a teammate with a short pass in a dangerous spot for a rebound. Third possession he throws in a good sidestep and kicks a drop punt from 40 directly in front.

So well done on following up his own poor execution and a good finish, not the best goal of the year and not in the best 20 goals of the year.

Having said that, Harley's goal was good as he burned an explosive player whilst having a few bounces, still think there'd be better goals.

Well reading some reviews of the new Katy Perry album released last week has been pretty funny. To say it's been widely panned would be a gross understatement. First single released a few months ago was a devastatingly complete flop. Right about then it seems the AFL thought it'd be a grand idea to pay her a million bucks for grand final day. Here's a couple of quotes from reviews to give you the general idea...

""143" sounds like an AI bot was asked to make a Katy Perry parody album. These songs are mind-numbingly repetitive, aiming for nostalgia and landing somewhere in between stale and imitative."

"Flat synths and anonymous lyrics dominate the "143" landscape. Perry was never considered a lyrical mastermind, but her signature humor, once warm, wet, and wild, has melted like a popsicle. We're left with syrupy slop like, "Kitty, kitty, wanna come party tonight / Trippy, trippy, daddy, take me on a ride," and "Yeah, I got those palpitations / Those boom-boom-booms.""

Ouch.

We could be in for a grand final spectacle of Meatloavian proportions! Can't wait! 😀

Poor old Meatloaf , he had a career highlight in "Pick of Destiny" just a few years before his career low light at the G.

Mind you, i think the G can be an acoustic nightmare for some performers.

On Daicos' first possession he scrubs it and misses his target, his second sits it on the head of a teammate with a short pass in a dangerous spot for a rebound. Third possession he throws in a good sidestep and kicks a drop punt from 40 directly in front.

So well done on following up his own poor execution and a good finish, not the best goal of the year and not in the best 20 goals of the year.

Having said that, Harley's goal was good as he burned an explosive player whilst having a few bounces, still think there'd be better goals.
Are you watching the one v the Suns?

His first kick is the equivalent of an underground handball. Its deliberately low to get under Witts bringing pressure, he then takes off the follow up. He then hits Bobby Hill, perfectly between two players, Bobby drops an aboslute sitter (it bounces off his chest) and Daicos has followed up for a handball receive in doing so hes burned off Matt Rowell then steps someone (cant recall who) to finish.

Harleys is pure power and speed, Daicos has a unique skill, s touch kick, follow up recieves, speed and an evasive step.

I personally think Daicos shows way more skill elements but overall id agree there were probably better goals but id doubt its 20 and of the three nominated Daicos was the best for mine.

Ouch.

Won’t she do her old stuff? That may be better - not sure!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supposedly there was an argument between Katy and the AFL about exactly this. She wanted to play new stuff and the AFL wanted the old hits.
Being in Japan, and only listening to cool music, I've never heard her, but I know she went out with whatshisname.

What would a megafan up with all the Katy Perry goss like you suggest as a first listen?

Being in Japan, and only listening to cool music, I've never heard her, but I know she went out with whatshisname.

What would a megafan up with all the Katy Perry goss like you suggest as a first listen?
Well you might as well start at the beginning, her first single, still the only song of hers where I can agree with what she's singing.

945bdc1b-edc4-49c7-bee6-1e7ef3d77736_text.gif

Mid 30s here.

I've been in and out as far as my investment in the game goes but this was the first season I watched more NRL than AFL.

I actually really like that sport... It's not perfect but it feels like a far easier watch than any AFL game. Not a huge level of umpire BS, games go quick, usually there's a chance for both teams at towards the end.

Unfortunately the AFL have let list management tools get so far out of hand that about half the comp are ****ed when it comes to acquiring talent. The luck of NGA/FS kids being guns determining success goes against every equalization measure a fair competition is meant to have in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back