Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Give it a rest, without Finnis we would be crippled by debt and still ar Seaford.

All right to critisise but know something about the subject if you do.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Anyone who thinks we don't get moorabbin without finnis is delusional.

The strategy was set by summers and the board prior to finnis joining. Had the backing of the AFL and multiple levels of government.

Finnis was a nice guy, but we need someone who puts football first.
Exactly. Moorabbin happens regardless.

We get a CEO who had no idea how to build out a football dept.

His first move was to sack pelchen for Jamie cox ffs. That move alone set us back 5 years.

The Lions were the lesser of two evils in my eyes but let's not kid ourselves; They just won a flag with a clutch of academy players & a Norm Smith medal winning father son top 5 pick that they got for peanuts.

They'll add another top 5 pick, plus a possible top 20-25 pick, in the next draft as well.

The random luck that helps the top clubs A) get there & b) stay there is infuriating.

People can point to off field culture, coaching, rookie picks, trades etc but he fact remains that this premiership, like several in the last 2 decades, was decided by rules that amount to legalized draft tampering.

Yes, I'm bitter.
Yes, I'm jealous.

Unfortunately though it's almost pointless to speculate on how our club can "do better" because without double dipping on draftees PLUS the likes of Heeney, Gulden, Ashcroft, Andrews, Daicos, Moore... even going back to Libba & Picken, Hawkins & Ablett etc we will always be playing catch-up.

Even the Hawks & Tigers built dynasties on the back of the old priority pick system, so that's out of the question as well.

Frustrating as **** but I genuinely feel like it's a two tier comp now.

You either get to double dip the first round or you don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a dud Granny and pretty much, dull final series to end an interesting season full of surprises and intrigue!

Now it’s over, and the dismal finals performances show us what?

I think, that the kind of footy that worked this year was very ‘fizzy’ and ‘sparkly’ in nature. Like those little sticks we would light and wave around as kids.

Most teams had patchy brilliance and Brisbane most of all.

Saints will get chances, that’s my take. Simply because we will show up, and be present, have adequate (if barely) amounts of talent and a system (which I think Ross/E

After a week of media tying themselves in knots about how the Brownlow is a midfielder award they hand the Norm Smith to the "blonde tips" kid. Starcevich won Brisbane that game in the first 40 mins by cutting off every Sydney attack. It screwed their minds.

Geez I'd love to see coaches votes...

I was there as well in 2010 for both.

Even at a loss, the games matter. Irrespective of it didn’t working out, the memories are still a part of us.
I agree.
Although I do think I’m still somewhat scarred.

Last edited:
Just on the entertainment. I'm not into just Aussie acts... or nostalgic acts etc, but they should get Cold Chisel. It would absolutely blow the place up.

Cold Chisel played at the NRL GF about 10 years ago, they have better pre-game entertainment, it also helps that it's at night.

After a week of media tying themselves in knots about how the Brownlow is a midfielder award they hand the Norm Smith to the "blonde tips" kid. Starcevich won Brisbane that game in the first 40 mins by cutting off every Sydney attack. It screwed their minds.

💯 this.
But a backman is not fashionable.

Agree with the principle but Ah Chee was my BOG. Reckon if he kicked that late goal he probably gets the nod. Played an absolute blinder and if he was a bigger “name” he’s an instant winner.

I kind of thought that it’s a role/game Sharman would do well to model himself on

Couldn't agree more

I reckon Longmire would have given 5 votes to C Fagan.
Totally outcoached.

Shut down the Swans time and space in the midfield and that put pressure onto the delivery into the fwd 50 which showed up their talls.

No idea why they went with a half done McDonald.

Big shout out to Darcy Fort - pretty good effort from someone who hasn't played seniors game since Round 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back