Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who thinks the media are going absolutely nuts this year even more so then previous?

Morris has been repeatably embarrassed with going hard at stories that have either no truth to them (Marshall) or are so preliminary that they wouldn't normally get off the ground (the Merrett story). It seems obvious to me he's got a chip on his shoulder about the club and is actively trying to dig up any sort of dirt possible.

Discussion around our compensation pick being obviously approached from a vindictive point of view and not really logically. Barrett being a two faced slimeball saying we dont deserve pick 8, Ralph Clarke pushing a questioning narrative as if we dont etc..

Dustin Martin moving to the Gold Coast. Theres been absolutely no inkling of word from Martin or anyone else involved that this was ever a serious consideration yet theres been a massive amount of coverage and discussion based on a rumour.

Huge amount of discussion about Melbourne and all the upset thats really not been elaborated on or even really commented on by the club themselves but the media are reporting that everything is on fire and Petracca/Oliver are leaving then not leaving etc.. I just dont buy that either player is that fed up or that the issues are that bad as to be legitimately seeking trades that would be nearly impossible to actually make happen.

Trade talk/gettable etc.. is just chock full of the absolute vaguest rumours that seem to be purely based on player management inquiries rather then any serious discussions and are then parroted across all the other media people until they start to gain legs.

The discussion of late around academies/FS has been highly disingenuous with a lot of people in the media purposely ignoring obvious points and very emotively defending the status quo based on personal interests.

I could go on for another hour listing out shit but basically its doing my head in. I enjoy reading/listening to AFL related media like everyone else but the general lack of integrity amongst nearly everyone in the general media community is become really dire. This is a mild rant for sure but its legitimately harming our game in my opinion.
US sports have been this way for years, the NRL is sunilar too, albeit both those sports effectively have an all year open trade window.

I suspect the media machine is just upping to report on more and more managers bullshit

Am I the only one who thinks the media are going absolutely nuts this year even more so then previous?

Morris has been repeatably embarrassed with going hard at stories that have either no truth to them (Marshall) or are so preliminary that they wouldn't normally get off the ground (the Merrett story). It seems obvious to me he's got a chip on his shoulder about the club and is actively trying to dig up any sort of dirt possible.

Discussion around our compensation pick being obviously approached from a vindictive point of view and not really logically. Barrett being a two faced slimeball saying we dont deserve pick 8, Ralph Clarke pushing a questioning narrative as if we dont etc..

Dustin Martin moving to the Gold Coast. Theres been absolutely no inkling of word from Martin or anyone else involved that this was ever a serious consideration yet theres been a massive amount of coverage and discussion based on a rumour.

Huge amount of discussion about Melbourne and all the upset thats really not been elaborated on or even really commented on by the club themselves but the media are reporting that everything is on fire and Petracca/Oliver are leaving then not leaving etc.. I just dont buy that either player is that fed up or that the issues are that bad as to be legitimately seeking trades that would be nearly impossible to actually make happen.

Trade talk/gettable etc.. is just chock full of the absolute vaguest rumours that seem to be purely based on player management inquiries rather then any serious discussions and are then parroted across all the other media people until they start to gain legs.

The discussion of late around academies/FS has been highly disingenuous with a lot of people in the media purposely ignoring obvious points and very emotively defending the status quo based on personal interests.

I could go on for another hour listing out shit but basically its doing my head in. I enjoy reading/listening to AFL related media like everyone else but the general lack of integrity amongst nearly everyone in the general media community is become really dire. This is a mild rant for sure but its legitimately harming our game in my opinion.

Looking at it objectively, we’re an easy target for a variety of reasons probably made worse with how Rat’s departure and RTB’s arrival was dealt with, we’ve also underperformed this year with a younger core finding their feet, then the saga with Taryn probably didn’t help affairs either.

Personally, I think some of it gets overblown but that’s just the reality with the media landscape and some of the fan base who’ve become disillusioned.

Not gonna pretend I'm an expert on the media industry but it does seem like it's had a fairly significant amount of upheaval this year so maybe these guys are trying to pull stories out of thin air to justify their jobs?
Media today is about engagement and clicks for ads.

Add in that this nation on the whole has some of the most trash news companies in the world (News corp, Fairfax, channel 7).

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back