List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we be worried that Peatling has still not renewed his contract with us? His contract also expires this year, and after Perryman and Cummings, he would be one of the people we want to keep - especially after his match saving performances against Melbourne showed what he is capable of? I think it’s unlikely that we keep both Perryman and Cummings, but I really don’t want to lose Peatling too!
I wouldnt think so.
I think they'll offer him something reasonable, but he is more valuable to us than others I'd think.

Yes, that why I am surprised why we haven’t sealed the deal with him. Unlike some of the others whose contract expire this year, giving Peatling an extension is an easy decision?
I think it makes sense that Peatling is holding off on re-signing. With the way he's playing at the moment, every game would be pushing up his value.

Last edited:
Speaking of Peatling...

GIANT HOPING TO SEAL HIS SPOT

GREATER Western Sydney midfielder James Peatling is hoping to entrench himself in the side's finals plans before looking further into a contract offer tabled by the club.

The uncontracted Pealing has been offered a new deal to remain at the Giants beyond 2024, though has attracted interest from elsewhere amid a season where he's struggled to lock away a consistent spot in coach Adam Kingsley's side.

Peatling has played 13 of 19 games this year, but has started seven as the tactical substitute, enjoying his best performance of the season from the outset in the team's thrilling win over Melbourne on Saturday night.

Playing through the midfield in the absence of star duo Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio, the 23-year-old had 28 disposals, 18 contested possessions, eight clearances and 11 tackles against the Demons.

"I'm pretty confident (of staying at the Giants), but we'll see what happens," Peatling told AFL.com.au this week.

"At the moment, I've got more important things to think about. I'm trying to keep myself in the team and string a few games together. Personally, for me, that's where I'm looking at the minute.

"I really want to build and try and hold my spot, because it's been something that I haven't been able to do this year. Depending on how everything goes, things will happen on the back of that. For me, it's just about trying to keep playing every week."

Peatling was a mid-season recruit for the Giants in 2021, having initially been overlooked in his draft year despite graduating from the club's Northern Academy system. – Riley Beveridge

Speaking of Peatling...

GIANT HOPING TO SEAL HIS SPOT

GREATER Western Sydney midfielder James Peatling is hoping to entrench himself in the side's finals plans before looking further into a contract offer tabled by the club.

The uncontracted Pealing has been offered a new deal to remain at the Giants beyond 2024, though has attracted interest from elsewhere amid a season where he's struggled to lock away a consistent spot in coach Adam Kingsley's side.

Peatling has played 13 of 19 games this year, but has started seven as the tactical substitute, enjoying his best performance of the season from the outset in the team's thrilling win over Melbourne on Saturday night.

Playing through the midfield in the absence of star duo Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio, the 23-year-old had 28 disposals, 18 contested possessions, eight clearances and 11 tackles against the Demons.

"I'm pretty confident (of staying at the Giants), but we'll see what happens," Peatling told AFL.com.au this week.

"At the moment, I've got more important things to think about. I'm trying to keep myself in the team and string a few games together. Personally, for me, that's where I'm looking at the minute.

"I really want to build and try and hold my spot, because it's been something that I haven't been able to do this year. Depending on how everything goes, things will happen on the back of that. For me, it's just about trying to keep playing every week."

Peatling was a mid-season recruit for the Giants in 2021, having initially been overlooked in his draft year despite graduating from the club's Northern Academy system. – Riley Beveridge
Fair enough that Peatling wants to establish himself to drive the value of his contract, but worrying that he has “attracted interest from elsewhere”.

In the end Peatling has to do what is good for him and his family, especially if that means he’s getting into the regular 22 consistently.

I however, would be very disappointed if Peatling walks, especially as we should theoretically have more $ from whoever of Perryman/ Cumming leaves to throw at him - Peatling is from Western Sydney and will inspire more from the region. Tom Green masks, the Tom Green fan club (!) and the Marist College frenzy whenever the Giants come to Canberra, shows the impact a local boy can have on the catchment area.

I just get worried when we table contracts and players drag their decisions till the end of the season!

Fair enough that Peatling wants to establish himself to drive the value of his contract, but worrying that he has “attracted interest from elsewhere”.

In the end Peatling has to do what is good for him and his family, especially if that means he’s getting into the regular 22 consistently.

I however, would be very disappointed if Peatling walks, especially as we should theoretically have more $ from whoever of Perryman/ Cumming leaves to throw at him - Peatling is from Western Sydney and will inspire more from the region. Tom Green masks, the Tom Green fan club (!) and the Marist College frenzy whenever the Giants come to Canberra, shows the impact a local boy can have on the catchment area.

I just get worried when we table contracts and players drag their decisions till the end of the season!
Maybe he thinks part time Western Sydney isn’t going to work and is holding the club back. Why sign on when the club won’t for Sydney.

Maybe he thinks part time Western Sydney isn’t going to work and is holding the club back. Why sign on when the club won’t for Sydney.
I respect your views on the club needing to play all games in Western Sydney. I however, think the club should continue to be a club for both Canberra as well as WS and NSW, and this is formally also stated in our club constitution. This focus on both regions benefits both communities, the Giants and the AFL - in fact the ACT 4 GWS campaign predates the Giants playing in Canberra in our inaugural 2012 year. There are other threads for this in Big footy for this, so won’t discuss this anymore here. Anyway, this contractual arrangement will continue at least till 2032, so we all need to accept this reality and move on.

I respect your views on the club needing to play all games in Western Sydney.
Thank you. This isn’t meant as disrespect to Canberra fans.
I however, think the club should continue to be a club for both Canberra as well as WS and NSW, and this is formally also stated in our club constitution.
Its sponsorship.
It’s also making it harder for both regions to grow, especially one of them which is basically starting from scratch.
This focus on both regions benefits both communities,
Nope.
the Giants and the AFL - in fact the ACT 4 GWS campaign predates the Giants playing in Canberra in our inaugural 2012 year. There are other threads for this in Big footy for this, so won’t discuss this anymore here.
Wasn’t the original intention of the club. Was an after thought and a way of getting the club stars through academies to the club easier due to the history of the sport in the ACT and Riverina, plus 10 mil to the club in sponsorship is also “nice”.
Anyway, this contractual arrangement will continue at least till 2032, so we all need to accept this reality and move on.
Thanks for saying this is a timed paid for contract. A sponsorship.
I’ve accepted it. I will always disagree with it, it hurts the club in WS and I will say so when I feel I should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is/was a fringe player. Our initial offer probably reflected that. If he plays himself into a solid best 22 spot in the view of our club's hierarchy, our offer will have to increase. If he doesn't, he may walk for better offers of game time elsewhere because that's exactly what happens - it's the same way we got Bedford for example.

He is/was a fringe player. Our initial offer probably reflected that. If he plays himself into a solid best 22 spot in the view of our club's hierarchy, our offer will have to increase. If he doesn't, he may walk for better offers of game time elsewhere because that's exactly what happens - it's the same way we got Bedford for example.
Yep, how I see it.
I like him (alot), and want him to stay, however, he is a fringe player who has very clear strengths and limitations.
What hurts him is that his limitations are very similar to Bedford, who we have ahead of him.

If we lose Peatling, we probably play XOH instead who again has similar (not the same) strengths and weaknesses. Both hard at it players who are all effort, but dont always take great options and sometimes skills let them down.

Cooper Bell and Logan Smith both invited to the AFL National Combine, Joey invited to the state combine
I think picking up key position guys like this through the academy is great.
Especially talls close to 2m.
I thought Joey looked pretty dynamic in the VFL too.

Madden looks like he's developed pretty well apart from injury set backs. With Preuss going off the list at end of year do we need a cheap cover still though?

Madden looks like he's developed pretty well apart from injury set backs. With Preuss going off the list at end of year do we need a cheap cover still though?
Hopefully Madden hasn't lost anything with his injury. I guess the question is, with Logan Smith coming through the academy and looking likely, do we select him and have two very junior rucks on the books? And if so, do we then need to have someone else as cheap cover? I would speculate that if we did get EH to replace Keeffe, then we might take Smith and leave it at that. 3 young rucks, plus EH as the cover until one of those 2 becomes viable in first grade.

I must admit, I'm not sure. Smith is different to Madden, in that he's leaner and seems potentially more mobile. But Madden is probably built more to Mummy's liking to develop into a mean & nasty ruck type!

Cooper Bell and Logan Smith both invited to the AFL National Combine, Joey invited to the state combine
I must admit, I'm a bit surprised at Cooper Bell getting a national invitation. This year has a good amount of talls, both KPF and KPD, and I would not have put him that high in the pecking order.

I think selection of Joey might depend on how the list balance plays out overall. State combine says there's not too much interest, so should be able to take him late or have him slip through to the rookie list.

Smith is a must match from 20 onwards imo, traits perfectly suit what we ultimately desire in a ruck (covering ground, taking marks) outside of the hitouts
Hopefully Madden hasn't lost anything with his injury. I guess the question is, with Logan Smith coming through the academy and looking likely, do we select him and have two very junior rucks on the books? And if so, do we then need to have someone else as cheap cover? I would speculate that if we did get EH to replace Keeffe, then we might take Smith and leave it at that. 3 young rucks, plus EH as the cover until one of those 2 becomes viable in first grade.

I must admit, I'm not sure. Smith is different to Madden, in that he's leaner and seems potentially more mobile. But Madden is probably built more to Mummy's liking to develop into a mean & nasty ruck type!

I must admit, I'm a bit surprised at Cooper Bell getting a national invitation. This year has a good amount of talls, both KPF and KPD, and I would not have put him that high in the pecking order.

I think selection of Joey might depend on how the list balance plays out overall. State combine says there's not too much interest, so should be able to take him late or have him slip through to the rookie list.
I'm also surprised at Bell's inclusion moreso just due to what he is, but Cole from Sandringham/ Saints NGA is a similar sort, being athletic and well developed in the defensive side of things so maybe there's a trend developing with the 'requirements' of a KPD, one ultra defensive and the other more offensive/ intercept focused may be where the games heading (Collingwood are the reigning premiers with this set up tbf).

I probably disagree on the KPD strength though, most of them are pretty speculative in my view and it's probably the second weakest position in the draft, ruck being the weakest

I was at a thing earlier in the year and kingsley raved about what he thought Madden would become.

I imagine we will be looking to strengthen our midfield options

Binns at Carlton is smashing the VFL but can’t get a game. Still contracted but plays wing with midfield minutes and look like he will possible move

Free agency compensation is Age + Contract length + Salary right? How likely is it that we do get band one compensation for either of Pez and Cheese? I've heard quite varying opinions on whether they should be band one, band two, or even band three FA comp

Free agency compensation is Age + Contract length + Salary right? How likely is it that we do get band one compensation for either of Pez and Cheese? I've heard quite varying opinions on whether they should be band one, band two, or even band three FA comp
VFL House runs a secret formula, so impossible to judge what band. However, at the $$$ being thrown around for Pez, it would stagger me if it was band 3; I would expect at least band 2. I would think, though, that it might need a little more to scrape into band 1 (perhaps $900k required).

I haven't seen numbers for Cheese, so impossible to say. But band 2 or 3, I'd expect, hopefully the former.

It was age + yearly salary (as long as the contract was two years or longer). They changed it this year to be age + yearly salary + length of contract, to differentiate between a three year and a six year or longer contract where the yearly salary tends to be lower.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back