List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer Bailey Scott, he’s not fast but very composed and a good link man. A better version of X. Wouldn’t cost much either.
I remember when Norths fans were spitting chips that Suns could potentially select him as an academy kid over their father/son claim. Now they're happy to get rid of him.

Both he and Will Phillips are out of contract at end of year, so could be looked at by the recruiting team if they feel that either can value add.

Bo Allan is another big bodied mid in that early teens range that could appeal, does everything Langford does with more speed. Moraes from 20 onwards would represent decent value but I'm not a massive fan, think a lot needs to go right for him to succeed
Yeah, Bo was one on my list, but I have him a touch behind Langford IMHO. Probably slightly less composed & less stats than Langford, versus the extra speed. It's all in the margins, and that's where the professional recruiters earn their salary.

I'll admit, I'm not a Moraes fan. What I saw of him in the U18 Carnival just didn't appeal to me ... and he seems to have been dropping on all the draftwatchers lists, so ...

What are your thoughts on Sam Marshall PMBangers? Would he be a worthwhile target to bid on with a pick around that 18 to 20 region? Seems to be a nicely balanced mid. Of course, Brisbane would presumably claim him, but in case they thought they had enough midfield talent with 2 x Ashcrofts and Jaspa Fletcher, would be represent a worthwhile target for us?

I remember when Norths fans were spitting chips that Suns could potentially select him as an academy kid over their father/son claim. Now they're happy to get rid of him.

Both he and Will Phillips are out of contract at end of year, so could be looked at by the recruiting team if they feel that either can value add.

Yeah, Bo was one on my list, but I have him a touch behind Langford IMHO. Probably slightly less composed & less stats than Langford, versus the extra speed. It's all in the margins, and that's where the professional recruiters earn their salary.

I'll admit, I'm not a Moraes fan. What I saw of him in the U18 Carnival just didn't appeal to me ... and he seems to have been dropping on all the draftwatchers lists, so ...

What are your thoughts on Sam Marshall PMBangers? Would he be a worthwhile target to bid on with a pick around that 18 to 20 region? Seems to be a nicely balanced mid. Of course, Brisbane would presumably claim him, but in case they thought they had enough midfield talent with 2 x Ashcrofts and Jaspa Fletcher, would be represent a worthwhile target for us?
Neale, Zorko are getting older, so I doubt they pass on an Academy kid.

I don't think Marshall is going to be damaging enough at the next level to warrant a 1st round selection, or at least not for us. We've got workhorse mids already in Rowston, XOH, Peatling etc. who are all young enough to be part of the next 5-8 years, so if we're going for one in the first round I don't see why we wouldn't go one with higher upside.

I’d stick with Bedford or Peatling over Phillips
Very different player. Probably opposing strength and weaknesses.
Very good hands and composed options, good contest, but not overly athletic.
Off field, checks the Giants character boxes, great work ethic and people person. North picked him to be there captain.
The reason I suggested him was he was a good ying to our yang.

Neale, Zorko are getting older, so I doubt they pass on an Academy kid.
We're getting Levi Ashcroft early, so being able to get extra academy kids when all of our picks would otherwise be pushed to the end is a free hit we're not giving up, like us getting the four academy kids in the one year (Setterfield, Perryman, Cumming, Tiziani - did have to look up that last one).

Sorry for any confusion, just noticed I switched we/us half way through there.

Very different player. Probably opposing strength and weaknesses.
Very good hands and composed options, good contest, but not overly athletic.
Off field, checks the Giants character boxes, great work ethic and people person. North picked him to be there captain.
The reason I suggested him was he was a good ying to our yang.
Thought you were talking about Jackson Hately there until you mentioned North.

Also on this, agree with the composure comment but don't think Langford's disposal is consistently good enough to make it the much of a factor, if Langford penetrated more often with his kicks and handballs then it'd be more of a consideration

The Midweek Tackle on Fox reporting that the Roos are eyeing Nick Haynes.

Last edited:
The Midweek Tackle on Fox reporting that the Roos are eyeing Nick Hayes.
My understanding from a report in this thread was that Haynes wanted 2 years - we were offering 1 year? In the end, Haynes is an original Giant, and I don’t begrudge him taking the best opportunity to play as long as he can. Hope if he leaves, it’s announced before the Fremantle home match so the club can farewell him properly

Fox Footy has released the article version

ROOS EYE RAIDS FOR VETERANS AMID 2025 FINALS PUSH

North Melbourne are eyeing off a pair of veterans as they look to capitalise on some strong form in recent times to launch themselves back into the finals conversation.

The Roos have turned the corner in recent weeks, finally showing signs of regeneration as they look to emerge from a grim period languishing in the doldrums at the bottom of the ladder.

Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark believes Alastair Clarkson wants to replicate what he did at Hawthorn, where his side won four games at the end of the year before playing finals the following season.

“He’s got similar ambitions, this will make all North Melbourne fans very excited,” Clark began on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“They think there’s some chance that they could build, finish this season strong and make finals next year,” he said.

The Roos have identified their backline as an area for improvement and Clark flagged two targets who the Roos have set their sights on.

“There’s some key parts missing, an intercepting defender North Melbourne have got their eye on, they have some interest in Richmond defender Nathan Broad,” he said.

“They pay him decent money, a longer term contract but I expect Broad to show enormous amount of loyalty and stay at Richmond, but they’ve had a crack at him.”

Clark also named Giants veteran Nick Haynes as a player the Roos might target.

Nick Haynes at GWS is another name that’s been raised. Out of contract, expect Nick Haynes to come back to Victoria at the end of the year,” he said.

“The backlines still vulnerable, they’re not making finals with the back line as is, that has to be bolstered and I feel like that will be the big play for the Kangaroos.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL trade news:

Jay Clark, Josh Barnes, Chris Cavanagh and Glenn McFarlane

07 August 2024

News Sport Network

HAYNES POISED FOR VICTORIAN SWITCH

GWS Giants’ gun defender Nick Haynes will explore a move home to Victoria next year as he struggles to break into the senior side.

Haynes, 32, is out of contract and could loom large for a club such as Carlton in the premiership window or North Melbourne which is keen to bolster its back line.

The veteran backman enjoyed a massive game in the VFL at the weekend gathering 39 touches and 12 marks in the win over Box Hill, showing he continues to play at a high level.

But the strength of the GWS back line means he is open to assessing other opportunities and could switch colours at season’s end on a significantly-reduced deal.

He has played seven games this year including his last appearance in Round 15.

Haynes has been on about $1 million a season over the past two years as part of a heavily back-ended deal but he could play for average money next season at a Victorian club.

The Giants would keep him for next season if he was keen to stay.

My understanding from a report in this thread was that Haynes wanted 2 years - we were offering 1 year? In the end, Haynes is an original Giant, and I don’t begrudge him taking the best opportunity to play as long as he can. Hope if he leaves, it’s announced before the Fremantle home match so the club can farewell him properly

PMBangers, what was your assessment of Cooper Sharman when he played junior footy. I see he spent some time in our Academy but then went undrafted. He has always impressed me whenever I’ve seen him play. Just a really late developer or did we miss something?

PMBangers, what was your assessment of Cooper Sharman when he played junior footy. I see he spent some time in our Academy but then went undrafted. He has always impressed me whenever I’ve seen him play. Just a really late developer or did we miss something?
Stretching the memory here but he was a 19 year old in the Matt Rowell/ Noah Anderson Oakleigh superteam, so had as many eyes at his games as possible, showed a lot of the things you probably like now with his aerial work, athleticism and scoreboard impact, but he was at the end of the day that undersized marking target forward with limited versatility displayed that tends to slide draft time. Don't remember anything from his actual draft year however.

GIANTS KICK OFF PRE-AGENT TALKS

GREATER Western Sydney has started discussions on an extension for Brent Daniels as the Giants look to lock in their group of guns coming out of contract in 2025.

Daniels will be a free agent next year as he enters his eighth season at the club and the Giants have begun talks on his next deal as they aim to get him signed on whilst a pre-agent.

The club did the same earlier this year with Sam Taylor, who was also due to hit free agency next year but inked a seven-year deal with the club in June that ties him to the Giants until the end of 2032.

The Giants will be pushing to add Daniels, as well as Finn Callaghan and Toby Bedford, to their list of sign-ons this year, with Callaghan and Bedford also out of contract at the end of 2025.

The decisions of unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming will shape the club's off-season, with Port Adelaide and Hawthorn strongly pursuing Perryman, with the Giants also tabling a six-year offer to Perryman.

Cumming has a four-year offer from the Giants to stay at the club but, as reported on AFL.com.au, has Adelaide and the Power also chasing him as he decides on his future. – Callum Twomey

Last edited:
How about Ben Hobbs from the dons …. Seems gettable
Darcy Parish seems a bit on the outer at Essendon, he lacks some speed and kicking sometimes lets him down but he’s a ball magnet. We need a lot of help at clearances, it’s the biggest weakness in the team.

Preuss has to go so we need another older ruckman for cover whilst our young rucks develop.

We have to re-sign Cumming, his best footy is just about to happen. He’s way more important than Perryman.

Darcy Parish seems a bit on the outer at Essendon, he lacks some speed and kicking sometimes lets him down but he’s a ball magnet. We need a lot of help at clearances, it’s the biggest weakness in the team.

Preuss has to go so we need another older ruckman for cover whilst our young rucks develop.

We have to re-sign Cumming, his best footy is just about to happen. He’s way more important than Perryman.
we wouldnt have the cap space or trade collateral to get him.
But every side would want him.

Has to be at least 6. I still remember that cracker of a goal in the 2019 SF.
same as Taylor, 2017 draft.
I reckon he was great from the start. 2019 especially, was top 3 in goals assists and top 10 in goal involvements, pretty amazing for a second year player.
We missed him in those injury impacted years 20-22.
he is our most under the radar star.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back