List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Given what Matt de Boer did, would we consider Will Brodie, especially if Peatling goes to Collingwood, I don't think many other clubs would go for Brodie.
We could offer say a 2 year deal, probably only $250k a year.
I can only hope there are things like that happening in the background. We'll need some mature age guys to cover the potential losses.

Given what Matt de Boer did, would we consider Will Brodie, especially if Peatling goes to Collingwood, I don't think many other clubs would go for Brodie.
Just as a grunt option, and who seems to accept sitting in 2nd grade, I'd be content to look at him.

Leek Aleer (GWS)

“He’s a very bright young talent and in and out of a strong Giants backline. The phone has rung hot for him all year. He’s contracted until 2025 at the Giants. I’ve been told he’s determined to see out at least next year. But 2025 is a big year for Aleer to make a decision and he’s no certainly no guarantee to stay on.”

It wouldn't be that much more than he would earn playing WAFL. Our issue is getting guys to move for that kind of deal. Unless they still have the hunger, it's a hard sell. At his age, Rich, Melb, Saints and maybe a few more would be keen.

It really depends on how much these other clubs are offering. Can’t begrudge a bloke for changing jobs if a rival employer is offering double the salary or close to it.
Not at all but it doesn’t happen very often (if at all) that it goes the other way unless it’s for a retirement cheque which highlights the imbalance we are up against

Not at all but it doesn’t happen very often (if at all) that it goes the other way unless it’s for a retirement cheque which highlights the imbalance we are up against
Of course, but with any luck the Tanner Bruyn/Jye Caldwell type situations seem to have dissipated for now and we have built a culture that ensures these younger blokes from Victoria and other states are happy to stay and extend once they’re drafted here (even those not getting the crazy long/expensive contracts).

What does Fox have to say about our list needs and options for the national draft?

List chasm: The Giants are as well-placed as any side from a list perspective and will no doubt be challenging for silverware again in 2025. One area to target at the draft might be some fresh midfield talent. While the Giants are well-stocked as it stands, Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelly will both be over 30 years of age when the 2025 season rolls around, so finding someone else to spearhead the on-ball brigade alongside Tom Green and Finn Callaghan could be handy for the future. Both Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming could depart the club in the off-season too, which means some added defensive depth wouldn’t go astray.

Ideal draft prospects: Two on-ball prospects that would suit the orange and charcoal are Xavier Lindsay and Tom Gross. Lindsay is a Gippsland Power star who was one of Vic Country’s best in the showdown against Vic Metro that ultimately decided the title winners. Lindsay had 30 disposals, 11 marks and eight score involvements that day. At the start of the year many recruiters viewed Lindsay as a half-back at AFL level, but there’s growing belief within the industry that he could play a role as a midfielder. Oakleigh Chargers star Tom Gross is another possible candidate for the Giants’ first pick. Gross has no troubles finding the footy given his elite endurance base and also has strong overhead marking capabilities, increasing his chances of making an immediate impact at AFL level. One defensive option is Tobie Travaglia. The Vic Country star was one of the standouts of the National Championships this year, excelling as a mid-sized intercept defender. Travaglia won the Bendigo Pioneers best and fairest as a bottom ager last year and has certainly carried that form into the 2024 season.

OK, well I'd be rapt with Xavier Lindsay - my concern is that he may be gone before our pick (depending on where we end up). I have been warming to Tom Gross, but hoping that we could snare him with one of the (presumably band 2) FA compo pick(s) for Pez and/or Cheese. I'm not as keen on Travaglia, and I expect he'll be gone by our first pick anyway. I'm more of a fan of Harrison Oliver, who's an excellent ball user and hence my preferred choice of defender.

Leek Aleer (GWS)

“He’s a very bright young talent and in and out of a strong Giants backline. The phone has rung hot for him all year. He’s contracted until 2025 at the Giants. I’ve been told he’s determined to see out at least next year. But 2025 is a big year for Aleer to make a decision and he’s no certainly no guarantee to stay on.”
Why didn't we play Aleer last week, or at least have as emergency?
Is Haynes really rated higher , or Aleer not able to play with all of Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg playing.

Is Haynes really rated higher , or Aleer not able to play with all of Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg playing.
Presumably if Haynes played, he's rated higher.

Maybe not after that game?

Maybe they played Haynes out of loyalty to an original Giant? You'd think not, but ...

Will Phillips been offered 1 year by North. 22 yo, was taken pick 3. Tagged this year, did a good job on Naicos for 3 qtrs and was then subbed, shut down Oliver as well. If Peatling is going, is this someone worth looking at? North coaching staff has seen massive changes since he started, far from ideal for any draftee regardless of pick.

Plus Keeffe.
I’d expect he’s looking around being behind Keeffe and Haynes.
Made sense to play Keefe when Briggs was out, but he’s not much use when Briggs is playing.

What does Fox have to say about our list needs and options for the national draft?

List chasm: The Giants are as well-placed as any side from a list perspective and will no doubt be challenging for silverware again in 2025. One area to target at the draft might be some fresh midfield talent. While the Giants are well-stocked as it stands, Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelly will both be over 30 years of age when the 2025 season rolls around, so finding someone else to spearhead the on-ball brigade alongside Tom Green and Finn Callaghan could be handy for the future. Both Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming could depart the club in the off-season too, which means some added defensive depth wouldn’t go astray.

Ideal draft prospects: Two on-ball prospects that would suit the orange and charcoal are Xavier Lindsay and Tom Gross. Lindsay is a Gippsland Power star who was one of Vic Country’s best in the showdown against Vic Metro that ultimately decided the title winners. Lindsay had 30 disposals, 11 marks and eight score involvements that day. At the start of the year many recruiters viewed Lindsay as a half-back at AFL level, but there’s growing belief within the industry that he could play a role as a midfielder. Oakleigh Chargers star Tom Gross is another possible candidate for the Giants’ first pick. Gross has no troubles finding the footy given his elite endurance base and also has strong overhead marking capabilities, increasing his chances of making an immediate impact at AFL level. One defensive option is Tobie Travaglia. The Vic Country star was one of the standouts of the National Championships this year, excelling as a mid-sized intercept defender. Travaglia won the Bendigo Pioneers best and fairest as a bottom ager last year and has certainly carried that form into the 2024 season.

OK, well I'd be rapt with Xavier Lindsay - my concern is that he may be gone before our pick (depending on where we end up). I have been warming to Tom Gross, but hoping that we could snare him with one of the (presumably band 2) FA compo pick(s) for Pez and/or Cheese. I'm not as keen on Travaglia, and I expect he'll be gone by our first pick anyway. I'm more of a fan of Harrison Oliver, who's an excellent ball user and hence my preferred choice of defender.
If it were me incharge we'd be trading up our FRP (18 probably) and a compo pick/ F2 for a 9-12 range pick with Lindsay in mind, but the prospect of a Shanahan/ Jack Whitlock if he's taken earlier doesn't hurt either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like we'll be getting compo for Pez and/or Cheese.

That means if we want to get in any free agents we'll need to trade for them to avoid diluting of free agency compo.

Will Phillips been offered 1 year by North. 22 yo, was taken pick 3. Tagged this year, did a good job on Naicos for 3 qtrs and was then subbed, shut down Oliver as well. If Peatling is going, is this someone worth looking at? North coaching staff has seen massive changes since he started, far from ideal for any draftee regardless of pick.
I like Will Phillips and suggested him earlier.

Haynes was probably picked as an emergency coz he can also play on the wing so he's just versatile as an option. Don't think it's a slight on Aleer.
Peatling is a tough one. If he is getting 4 year contracts thrown at him at a team where he going to be consistently in their starting midfield he's going to leave.

I'd imagine he'd want to know where he fits in at the Giants.
Sure Callan probably stays on as cover.
But he's still behind
Green, Callaghan, Kelly, Cogs (when in form)
And he's got Leake and Rowston sitting behind him who are both high picks and look pretty talented.
I'd hate to lose him...he's brave and handy...a local...but if he went to the Eagles he's playing every week. At the Giants he's on the fringe

Haynes was probably picked as an emergency coz he can also play on the wing so he's just versatile as an option. Don't think it's a slight on Aleer.
Peatling is a tough one. If he is getting 4 year contracts thrown at him at a team where he going to be consistently in their starting midfield he's going to leave.

But he's still behind
And he's got Leake and Rowston sitting behind him who are both high picks and look pretty talented.
I'd hate to lose him...he's brave and handy...a local...but if he went to the Eagles he's playing every week. At the Giants he's on the fringe
Yeah …. 4 years at 600k from the eagles …. Hard to say no for a bloke who almost didn’t have a footy career

But he's still behind
Ward is 100% moving back to Melbourne at the end of this season.

Yeah …. 4 years at 600k from the eagles …. Hard to say no for a bloke who almost didn’t have a footy career
if they offer him that he should jump at it.
He'll be great for the Eagles as well. A hard at it player who runs both ways will be great to put in around the talented kids.
If he is offered that, we shouldnt match, we should wish him luck and be pleased the system is creating chances for guys like this, it makes us an attractive option for others.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back