List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Collingwood want peatling and Stringer.
Could we get Collingwood F1 for Peatling and our F2, F3.
They can send the F2 or F3 to essendon for Stringer.
I think Peatling goes for a late second round pick

I doubt they part with their future first considering they don’t have one this year and th year have such an aging list

Maybe not?!

James Peatling provides trade update and talks the Sydney Derby qualifying final

Lachlan McKirdy

01 September 2025

News Sport Network

James Peatling’s earliest memory of finals footy in Sydney dates back all the way to 2005.

It’s one of the most iconic matches in AFL history. Nick Davis with four last-quarter goals to snatch victory for the Swans over Geelong on their march to that year’s premiership.

A local Sydney boy from the Hills District, Peatling might have only been five years old, but he and his parents had some of the best seats in the house for the masterclass at the SCG.

Or so he thought.

“No, it’s the story growing up that I was asleep on Mum’s lap when Nick Davis kicked the final goal,” Peatling said. “I’ve heard that story before.

“I was a bit young for it. Mum and Dad reckon that was one of the better games they’ve ever been to. And I was asleep at the ground, so, a bit of a different one.”

Peatling is primed to return to the SCG for a final again on Saturday, but this time on the field as part of a Giants side looking to claim another win over the Swans in September.

As a local product, Peatling knows just how big having an all-Sydney final is for Aussie rules in the state.

“It’s massive for NSW football in general,” he said. “Being able to have home finals in consecutive weeks, no matter what happens, it’s great for the sport.

“It’s obviously going to help grow the game. Growing up it was few and far between to get some home finals. So, it’s gonna be great.”

But he and the Giants are ready to spoil the party. In a year where consistency has been thrown out the window, Sydney held their nerve the longest to claim the minor premiership.

And despite losing both match-ups earlier in the year, the Giants are three-from-three in finals against the Swans and are full of confidence that the streak can continue.

“We obviously would love to (spoil the party),” Peatling said. “Teams go out hot and play some good footy early, we had a lull and they had a lull as well.

“It’s gonna be a great contest and we can’t wait to play against them. Hopefully, it’s great for Sydney footy, but we want to come away with the win as well. We have massive confidence in ourselves as a group that we can go far.”

This season has already been one to remember for Peatling. He has played a career-high 17 matches and has been a big contributor in midfield to the Giants’ late-season turnaround.

The year threatened to escape him again after being in and out of the side early. He was regularly dropped to the VFL and didn’t look like getting opportunities outside of being the tactical sub.

But his perseverance and determination have been rewarded with a place in one of the AFL’s best midfields. And he’s hoping he’s done enough to keep his spot for the first final.

“I just wanted to have a consistent year, no matter what level I was playing,” Peatling said. “Whether that was early in the year getting moved up and down from VFL to AFL, I felt like I was consistent and just needed that opportunity.

“Our coaches are great at letting you play to your strengths and express yourself as a footballer. I feel like they’ve given me freedom and clarity of what makes us better, and I can do that by playing my role.

“I owe the midfield boys a lot. When you come back in November, that’s who you go against longer than the season goes for. So they’ve helped my development massively, training against them and getting better.

“There’s a lot of good midfielders, and I had to sort of just break my way in. But I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help us win and just play my part.”

Understandably, Peatling’s performances have garnered a lot of attention across the AFL. Off-contract and on the fringes of Adam Kingsley’s side, his name has regularly been linked with clubs from all over the country.

But the back half of the year has given him the belief he can find a permanent place in the Giants’ midfield, particularly with the Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming’s futures still up in the air. And if he has it his way, he won’t be leaving Western Sydney anytime soon.

“Over time you mature and relish the opportunities in there because earlier in the year they were harder to get,” Peatling said. “So you don’t take anything for granted.

“I feel like when I play my best football, I can be in this midfield. And at times this year I’ve shown that. I just want to keep adding value to this team.

“My focus is trying to keep my spot in the team every week and see what we can do in finals.

“Obviously, I owe (the Giants) a lot. Coming through the junior ranks and being from Sydney, I’d love to stay here. When the time comes and I’ve got to make a decision, that will happen.”

Maybe not?!

James Peatling provides trade update and talks the Sydney Derby qualifying final

Lachlan McKirdy

01 September 2025

News Sport Network

James Peatling’s earliest memory of finals footy in Sydney dates back all the way to 2005.

It’s one of the most iconic matches in AFL history. Nick Davis with four last-quarter goals to snatch victory for the Swans over Geelong on their march to that year’s premiership.

A local Sydney boy from the Hills District, Peatling might have only been five years old, but he and his parents had some of the best seats in the house for the masterclass at the SCG.

Or so he thought.

“No, it’s the story growing up that I was asleep on Mum’s lap when Nick Davis kicked the final goal,” Peatling said. “I’ve heard that story before.

“I was a bit young for it. Mum and Dad reckon that was one of the better games they’ve ever been to. And I was asleep at the ground, so, a bit of a different one.”

Peatling is primed to return to the SCG for a final again on Saturday, but this time on the field as part of a Giants side looking to claim another win over the Swans in September.

As a local product, Peatling knows just how big having an all-Sydney final is for Aussie rules in the state.

“It’s massive for NSW football in general,” he said. “Being able to have home finals in consecutive weeks, no matter what happens, it’s great for the sport.

“It’s obviously going to help grow the game. Growing up it was few and far between to get some home finals. So, it’s gonna be great.”

But he and the Giants are ready to spoil the party. In a year where consistency has been thrown out the window, Sydney held their nerve the longest to claim the minor premiership.

And despite losing both match-ups earlier in the year, the Giants are three-from-three in finals against the Swans and are full of confidence that the streak can continue.

“We obviously would love to (spoil the party),” Peatling said. “Teams go out hot and play some good footy early, we had a lull and they had a lull as well.

“It’s gonna be a great contest and we can’t wait to play against them. Hopefully, it’s great for Sydney footy, but we want to come away with the win as well. We have massive confidence in ourselves as a group that we can go far.”

This season has already been one to remember for Peatling. He has played a career-high 17 matches and has been a big contributor in midfield to the Giants’ late-season turnaround.

The year threatened to escape him again after being in and out of the side early. He was regularly dropped to the VFL and didn’t look like getting opportunities outside of being the tactical sub.

But his perseverance and determination have been rewarded with a place in one of the AFL’s best midfields. And he’s hoping he’s done enough to keep his spot for the first final.

“I just wanted to have a consistent year, no matter what level I was playing,” Peatling said. “Whether that was early in the year getting moved up and down from VFL to AFL, I felt like I was consistent and just needed that opportunity.

“Our coaches are great at letting you play to your strengths and express yourself as a footballer. I feel like they’ve given me freedom and clarity of what makes us better, and I can do that by playing my role.

“I owe the midfield boys a lot. When you come back in November, that’s who you go against longer than the season goes for. So they’ve helped my development massively, training against them and getting better.

“There’s a lot of good midfielders, and I had to sort of just break my way in. But I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help us win and just play my part.”

Understandably, Peatling’s performances have garnered a lot of attention across the AFL. Off-contract and on the fringes of Adam Kingsley’s side, his name has regularly been linked with clubs from all over the country.

But the back half of the year has given him the belief he can find a permanent place in the Giants’ midfield, particularly with the Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming’s futures still up in the air. And if he has it his way, he won’t be leaving Western Sydney anytime soon.

“Over time you mature and relish the opportunities in there because earlier in the year they were harder to get,” Peatling said. “So you don’t take anything for granted.

“I feel like when I play my best football, I can be in this midfield. And at times this year I’ve shown that. I just want to keep adding value to this team.

“My focus is trying to keep my spot in the team every week and see what we can do in finals.

“Obviously, I owe (the Giants) a lot. Coming through the junior ranks and being from Sydney, I’d love to stay here. When the time comes and I’ve got to make a decision, that will happen.”
I mean they all say that.

Good news…though we still have 10 more whose contracts will expire this year- some we won’t renew (like Preuss), some we want to renew but where the players will go elsewhere due to more $ or length of the contract (Perryman, Haynes) and some where the players and our clubs agree to renew ….interesting weeks ahead for our list

Was thinking that Angwin may be in the mix to play the Perryman role if he leaves.
Yeah....maybe. The question with Angwin is he feels and plays like a natural wing no?
And yet, this year with a wing spot open for grabs and available he hasn't managed to grab it. Through the year we've had Haynes, Bedford and Ward all playing on a wing.
I probably see Cumming as the replacement at half back....if he goes then we need Fonti to develop his actually defending before we can play him back there.
I'm hoping Pez or Cumming leaving opens up some money for Cumming or Peatling to stay.
Binga was the best contract to lock in though....those game winners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah....maybe. The question with Angwin is he feels and plays like a natural wing no?
And yet, this year with a wing spot open for grabs and available he hasn't managed to grab it. Through the year we've had Haynes, Bedford and Ward all playing on a wing.
I probably see Cumming as the replacement at half back....if he goes then we need Fonti to develop his actually defending before we can play him back there.
I'm hoping Pez or Cumming leaving opens up some money for Cumming or Peatling to stay.
Binga was the best contract to lock in though....those game winners
great 2 way runner which suits wing.

When he has played, his defensive pressure has been good. Think he could be a nice player in that role.

I quite like Angwin as a player and feel he is a good role player.

great 2 way runner which suits wing.

When he has played, his defensive pressure has been good. Think he could be a nice player in that role.

I quite like Angwin as a player and feel he is a good role player.
Yeah I guess I just hoped at this part in his development he would have been able to solidify his spot.

Apparently demons are interested in Wade Derksen. What could we get for him?
Unless I misheard, Midweek Tackle said Derksen is soon to be the father of twins.

If our captain's form is anything to go by and with Derksen stuck in the 2s, I'd be trading him for whatever we can get.

Peatling is from Sydney. Why does he want to move?
I hope he stays too - but probably more $, longer contract term and the possibility of playing more matches regularly may motivate Peatling to leave us? Not sure if our club will match the reported 4 year deal he has got from others, but in the unfortunate yet likely scenario where either Perryman/ Cumming leave us for more $, we could offer Peatling some additional $?

Some reported trade news on current and ex-Giant players, FYI:

AFL trade news, Moneyball: Dan Houston still open to Victorian move despite Port Adelaide commitment

Jon Ralph, Josh Barnes and Glenn McFarlane

03 September 2024

News Sport Network

AFL: Power star Dan Houston has shutdown any rumours of a trade this offseason, stating his desire to stay with the club in 2025.

Dan Houston remains keen to join his partner in Victoria next year despite his public stance but the Power has the cap space to retain him even if it lands a pair of GWS free agents. …………

KEY-POSITON GIANTS IN-DEMAND

Uncapped GWS swingman Wade Derksen has emerged as a wanted man in a thin field for key position players this trade period.

Derksen, 23, believes he can be a goalkicking forward and has played as a key defender throughout 2024 but has been stuck behind Giants Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley and Leek Aleer.

Several clubs have registered interest in the 194cm player, including clubs in Western Australia and Victoria.

It is understood Melbourne is one of the clubs interested in Derksen.

He was taken at No.5 in the 2022 mid-season draft after being watched closely by several clubs during stints with Essendon in the VFL, Peel Thunder in the WAFL and NTFL side Nightcliff.

Hailing from the Northern Territory, Derksen and his partner are due to have twins this week and already have a young son.

He is contracted for next year at GWS but would like more family help given his growing family and is expected to favour a trade to Victoria for that reason.

Derksen has put up impressive numbers in the VFL this year, averaging 19.5 disposals, 2.9 intercept marks and 8 intercept possessions a game.

He floated forward in the last three games of the year and kicked two goals in each match.

With Hawthorn poised to lock away Saints free agent Josh Battle and trade in Eagle Tom Barrass, clubs are scrambling for key defensive and key forward help.

Derksen’s teammate Aleer played eight AFL games this year for the Giants before being tipped out of the side and has been the subject of rival offers but is expected to stay in orange and see out his contract next year.

Another Giant caught in the defensive logjam, veteran Nick Haynes appears poised to leave as a free agent, with Carlton heavily into the intercept defender.

Demon Adam Tomlinson is expected to seek a third club, having not played more than nine games in a season in each of the last four years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back