List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Our 2025 list is changing by the day......

Not liking the look of this.

It's not as if these players are lacking the opportunity to play at the top level.
It's the catch 22 of these long term, expensive contracts and the impact they have on our list.

After their respective output we saw in 2024, is anyone here excited about Kelly and Himmelberg being on our list for another 5 seasons?

Here We Go Again GIF
That would be a massive blow if it happened.

Kelly is top 5 and Himmle is top 10. I’m glad they will be hanging around
Kelly will hopefully be back to his very best next season. Calf injuries are a bit of a worry.
Himmelberg just needs to improve decision making a bit. Play a bit of wing might be good for him. I also want to see him be backup ruck sometimes.

Looks awfully like the mainly Victorian clubs are going to pick apart our team especially over the next couple of years.

We have 23 players whose contracts expire in 25/26.

23!!!!! Half of the senior list.

The majority would be walk-up starters in most other teams.

Could get VERY ugly.

Looks awfully like the mainly Victorian clubs are going to pick apart our team especially over the next couple of years.

Could get VERY ugly.
The standard contract in the AFL is 2-3 years. So anyone not already a star and not re-signing this year will be off contract in the next two years. That's how it works. Worrying about who's off contract at the end of next year will leave you stressing over not much - leave it until the bye next year. Worrying about who's off contract at the end of the following year is completely mental.

It's the catch 22 of these long term, expensive contracts and the impact they have on our list.

After their respective output we saw in 2024, is anyone here excited about Kelly and Himmelberg being on our list for another 5 seasons?
both had good years.
Kelly when fit was outstanding.

Could get VERY ugly.
You'd expect that, most contracts are 2 or 3 years. A a little longer. So over any 2 year period, half your club will be off contract.

Was he carrying an injury I.e calf. Yes many players are carrying some injury late in a season. Some can work through them better than others. A fully fit Josh Kelly is all australian level
He was in AA contention pre-injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd expect that, most contracts are 2 or 3 years. A a little longer. So over any 2 year period, half your club will be off contract.
I'm well aware of that.

This is not a Derksen wanting to leave. This isn't even losing Cameron. It's 3 players who if fit are always in the starting line up.

That should be ringing alarm bells.

Is it not enough $$$? Personal reasons?? Happenings behind the scenes?

Can't be lack of opportunity.

And now there's already talk, (though likely scuttlebutt) of Callaghan being enticed out.

Yeah - based on possibly losing Cumming, Peatling and Perryman this year, it makes me wonder what financial hole the club has dug itself in with so many contracts expiring in '25 and '26 and the potential, and constant loss of first grade players.

I'm well aware of that.

This is not a Derksen wanting to leave. This isn't even losing Cameron. It's 3 players who if fit are always in the starting line up.

That should be ringing alarm bells.

Is it not enough $$$? Personal reasons?? Happenings behind the scenes?

Can't be lack of opportunity.

And now there's already talk, (though likely scuttlebutt) of Callaghan being enticed out.

Yeah - based on possibly losing Cumming, Peatling and Perryman this year, it makes me wonder what financial hole the club has dug itself in with so many contracts expiring in '25 and '26 and the potential, and constant loss of first grade players.
They need to change the system so clubs don't overpay to get free agents in my opinion.

You don't overpay for role players. If other clubs want to do it, let them. Still to debut the first 2 picks of our 23 draft crop. No reason Phoenix can't have the same impact Darcy Jones had this year, same goes for Leake. If Caruso thinks Leake is a better player than Darcy Wilson, that's good enough for me. There will be clubs trading picks out for points to match bids so whatever we get for FA compo there is a good chance we can improve them. We've had genuine A graders have an average season for different reasons, continuity plays a large part in gathering form. The sky is far from falling.

Need COLA back asap! Sydney is off the charts expensive place to live.
Never forgiven the Swans for stuffing it up for us.
I don't see it happening though. The vfl fans will cry foul, plus both Sydney teams finishing in top 4 won't help

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Isn't there some rental assistance for players earning less than 200k

Isn't there some rental assistance for players earning less than 200k
Unless they've scrapped it there is.

But these days that really only covers second round picks and later - and the rent assistance probably hasn't scaled as rents have skyrocketed.

What role would you have Caleb Daniels play? Not sure he suits the Perryman role, perhaps Cumming's wing role?
Definitely a wing. I think it is our weakest position when Kelly/ Finn are playing inside

Ward was good this year but who knows how that translates to next year

The o th er option I suppose is to look at state leagues and get a mature age player in. I see how mannagh had such a positive impact at Geelong and think there has to be untapped talent we overlook

I'll admit, I'm not sure exactly what my thoughts are on that. Arguably, our gameplan doesn't emphasise the wing role (although I think it should, given how we are trying to play). I also think that Joe Fonti could take that wing role ... but yeah if he and Stone were to replace Pez & Cheese, that's a lot of experience that we're losing, and Daniels could ameliorate that for a couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back