List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you prefer?
O'Farrell is the best of the true KPDs, Tauru would be another good acquisition.

MWhitlock has huge bust potential imo, poor physicality and not a good enough user by foot to be a Darcy Moore type of interceptor

O'Farrell is the best of the true KPDs, Tauru would be another good acquisition.

MWhitlock has huge bust potential imo, poor physicality and not a good enough user by foot to be a Darcy Moore type of interceptor
Tauru looks like he'll go earlier rather than later now. And in which role do you think we could best use him?

Where do you think O'Farrell will go in the draft?

Tauru looks like he'll go earlier rather than later now. And in which role do you think we could best use him?

Where do you think O'Farrell will go in the draft?
Tauru will be a defender long term I imagine

HOF should be in the 15-30 bracket but could slip a little further out given how good some others have been in the finals

I loved it when Himmel first went back, he often came swooping in to receive the handball and kick us something.
Problem was, it didn't last long!

Other teams cottoned on to what was happening pretty quickly and if I recall correctly, Himmelberg was caught holding the ball when the wrap around went awry.

My issue/concern around selecting a KPD is the lack of opportunity that they would get (most likely). Taylor/Buckley will be our preferred combo except in the case of injury, in which case Aleer will get more opportunity. I don't see much point getting an early-ranked KPD, because they'll likely have to slog it out in VFL for a few years. Derksen was fine as a little-used (in his case, never-used) backup.

You've hit the nail on the head WRT my reticence around Matt Whitlock: just not really liking what I see in his skills, but there are so many commentators out there saying great things about him that I doubted what I was seeing.

I like what I see in Tauru, but just not sure where we would put those skills to use. In which case, are we better targetting a role where we would get better bang for buck in upgrading from current players. I know the general edict of the draft is to draft best available talent, but since we have trouble trading in experienced role players, we need to temper our approach and target a combination of role/talent.

Wouldn't we select Logan Smith before Gerryn?
I would be targeting Gerryn as a forward-ruck: i.e. playing as a goal-kicking forward who can ruck (in his case, better than most in that role, IMHO). We got found out in finals playing Keeffe in that role; during the H&A season, we suffered playing Riccardi in that role. Gerryn is looking out to the future. Plus, we only have Hogan, Cadman, Riccardi and Gruzewski as KPFs, so I think we're one short (unless we decide to move HH back into the forwards). Technically Keeffe could fit into that group, but surely next year is his last year, and Gerryn would be a good talent to replace him with.

I'd still get Smith at the draft. With Preuss moving on, we would want to have 3 ruckmen on the list, so I don't have a problem with getting both of them. Smith as a pure ruck, Gerryn as a forward-ruck. I really don't see any of Briggs, Madden or Smith being guys who could play more as a forward than ruck. The only problem on draft night could be where Smith is bid on.

Do I think that Caruso will select Gerryn? No, I don't. It won't be the only time in the last few years that I would go a different way to the draft team!

I think we need an inside midfielder, someone who also plays wing or forward would be great.
So, hopefully Harry Rowston is over his back problems and will be available next year, while James Leake was developed in the inside midfielder role in VFL this season. But I would agree that we should be targeting at least one of not two draftees who can play an inside role to some extent.

Xavier Lindsay is one draftee I've advocated for to take on that role. He's definitely able to play multiple roles - defender or wing, while likely to be able to develop an inside role in future. That's to say, he's played all of those roles including an inside mid role at U18 (either CTL or U18 Champs), but would probably need to put on some bulk to play at AFL level.

Another candidate would be a kid who's shooting up draft boards like lightning late in the year. A Clayton Oliver-like late run. That's Oliver Hannaford, who started as a counterattacking defender, then was switched forward and kicked 6 goals in one game, then was played as an inside midfielder in the CTL Grand Final and acquitted himself very well (24d, 9t, 8c, 7 I50s, 1 goal). That's just one game, but promising in a losing side against a very strong Sandringham side. He's only 180 cms, but highly competitive. You would think that he could be thrown into a forward-mid rotation with Binga and Darcy Jones in the short term, and hopefully develop as an inside midfielder in the long run.

He's got good athletic testing stats from earlier in the season:
  • 89cm vertical
  • 2.901 20m sprint
  • 7.788 agility
  • 960 yo-yo
He's likely to be sitting in that 15-20 draft range now, so right where we have a pick, although a club such as Carlton could pull the trigger on him earlier.

A slightly later option (mid-20s) could be Tom Gross. Another shorter option (181 cms), he's a classy midfielder who has breakaway pace and thrives around the contest, and can play mid-forward, but again a competitor. His tackling and pressure is a feature, as well as his overheard marking for his size. Gross isn't amongst the top echelon of midfielders this year, but is probably unlucky that so many quality on-ballers make up the top of this draft. His 2024 Champs stats: 4 games, 20.0 disposals, 5.2 marks, 0.5 goals

There would be a couple of other decent options later in the draft (30s & 40s): Jack Ough and Zak Johnson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back