List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect, please don't refer to someone overreacting.

We loss two best 22 players who are replaceable, and Peatling who had a great finish to the year but could just as easily be completely overtaken by Leake in '25. While what we have done this year is lock away high-end talents in Taylor and Daniels to long term deals.

Goodness me - I've got a bad feeling for the future of this club right now.

Feels like the guts are going to be ripped out every year for the time being, leaving us with an ageing list and forever inexperienced players picked up at the draft because for whatever reason/s, we can't get players who want to be traded here.
I don't think we should go to panic stations right now.

This happens pretty much every year, with last year being the outlier really. Other years we've lost a lot more talent than this. This year we're losing Cumming who has had a lot of injury issues and was barely on the field this year, Perryman who is a solid role-player and Peatling who has been a fringe player for us up until very recently. Our recruitment strategy seems to involve a revolving door of talent which we endlessly turn into draft picks to recruit yet more good talent. This year's "exodus" is honestly considerably better than other years in the past and I think we'll come out of it just fine.

This year's "exodus" is honestly considerably better than other years in the past and I think we'll come out of it just fine.
I certainly hope so, but gee, there's just something about this year, different factors both internal and external which is making me a lot more uncomfortable.

One thing for certain - I don't make a habit of booing ex-players. Next year might be different.

Screw that ... here's a response:

nuclear explosion GIF

I love Shiel and his run would really suit our style, he is good at getting clearences as well.

Depending on what he costs in salary and trade capital I'd be interested.

I saw someone mention Brayden Fiorini somewhere. He's certainly one that I'd be happy to grab. Yes he has his limitations - one being that he needs to play the inside mid role - but I'd see him taking Peatling's place in the squad, so on the fringe of the first grade team, but much more likely to be able to break into the Giants team than he would the Suns' team in 2025 and also likely to play a reasonable amount of games when injuries take their toll.

I would think it likely that any pick we got for Peatling could be flipped to pay for Fiorini, so a future 2nd from Adelaide probably works for Gold Coast as they want to stockpile picks for their 2025 academy crop.

Dev Robertson the other one in a similar style of player - but we only need one.

Not sure what I'd make of the Dylan Shiel suggestions. Firstly, I really doubt that he'd want to leave Melbourne now and return to Sydney.

Hard to imagine him wearing orange and charcoal.
Not really ;)

DS.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan is past his best, but interestingly, he was at our final against the swans. He jumped on the light rail after the game. He gave me a nod when I acknowledged him. I did wonder at the time why he'd be there (albeit that he would still have alot of mates in the Giants team)

Shiel is 32 next year and barely played the last two years.
In 2024 he played 9 AFL games, but also 8 VFL games. So partly he wasn't being selected. Yes, some of that was related to coming back from injury etc, and some was Bombers prioritising guys like Caldwell.

It's definitely a backward step to get him in, but losing guys as we are is also sending us backwards.

It's a "horns of a dilemma" problem for us. Either way, we'll be a worse team next year than this year, unless the organic growth is huge, and we have very few injuries.

They are notoriously difficult, they will offer 42, threaten to walk him to PSD and make us sweat to get 25 which in real terms will be Pick 30.

I’m ok with Pick 25 for him, it’s about his value. Wished the f***** could have kicked straight before pissing off.
Aren't Adelaide the club that gave up two first rounders for Gibbs?

There was a missed opportunity last year to bring in some mature talent, it also cost the club this year because they went backwards. When at the top you have to add that bit of extra mature talent to win a flag and last off season was more compelling for players to come, because the giants were flag favourites and that's a carrot to a lot of players.

I honestly don't think the cost of living is that big of an issue for player retention, it's simply players wanting to play in front of the big crowds and be in the limelight (in saying that if the bloody swans didn't try to always get a lick of the ice cream too with things like cola when they don't need it, the giants would be set with a few things like that to help, at least till they become a destination club too. Giants and suns being expansion clubs should get advantages, but the swans and lions trying to get in on the party ruins it for them). That won't happen for a while yet unfortunately. The giants should get the n.t academy off the suns who have a production line up there on the gc, plus it will help them connect with the w.s indigenous community, the biggest in the country, the club should be pushing for this.

I think the areas of need are:
  • midfield depth and some mature grunt in there.
  • more forward threats to help out Hogan.
  • a back up ruck to help briggs.
  • the backline is pretty good, although ideally you'd upgrade on ash.

Now the one thing is, this year more than any other, clubs are trying to force decent players out to create cap space. I dunno why they aren't looking at Kennedy from Carlton, a former giant, hard as a cats head, kicks goals and in the right age bracket to strengthen the midfield. A guy like fiorini would be a good winger in a good side. Stringer is the type of guy that if he has a purple patch, he could win the team a flag and he can go into centre bounces to change momentum with brute force. He is lazy defensively though, so the only issue is if he fits into the system. Finding another 40 a year goal kicker is tough though, I think he'd do well out of the limelight.

So there will be more names pop up, but McCartney needs to get proactive and stop sitting on his hands, get in mature talent, guys that are ostracized due to their salary or not getting to play in their best position coz of depth at their club, or even some mature state league players that could plug holes.

I don't like the idea of yet again going to the draft and waiting years, they need to thicken the soup right now with mature bodied role players to have a genuine tilt next year (something they should have done last off season but wasted a year).

Last edited:
600k a year most likely.
Yeah but there's plenty of examples of players who will stay for other reasons despite could get more money if they walk. With at least three leaving us this off season with in theory another top four finish realistic next year I wonder if something is not right with the club culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back