List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheil was pretty good this year, got his pace back. One particular game late in the season, I think it was against Freo, I thought was the best game he'd played for the club. Essendon aren't close to a flag and have two top 15 picks playing in the two's they'd wanna give an opportunity to, so I'd say they'd be more than happy to oblige. He still has the issue that he can only really play centre square though, so if there is no intention to play him there it might not be worthwhile. He is still a very good centre clearance player.

Sheil was pretty good this year, got his pace back. One particular game late in the season, I think it was against Freo, I thought was the best game he'd played for the club. Essendon aren't close to a flag and have two top 15 picks playing in the two's they'd wanna give an opportunity to, so I'd say they'd be more than happy to oblige. He still has the issue that he can only really play centre square though, so if there is no intention to play him there it might not be worthwhile. He is still a very good centre clearance player.
You do raise a decent point about him being a good clearance player. Clearances have been a glaring deficiency this year for the Giants.

GWS looked at its best late in the season when Peatling went into the centre square rotation. Stick Shiel in Peatling's spot - he's probably still got the speed out of there; otherwise, their kicking is probably similar (as in, not great).

He can probably do 2 years, while we continue to develop younger kids. He'll cop some time out with injuries, so some opportunities for the youngsters to fill in here and there.

I get the tendency to pooh pooh him (as we have other players) as "too old" or "washed up", but guys like Hodge, Gunston & Smith have improved teams they've played for late in their careers. He might be the band-aid we need to cover for losing a few mid-20s guys.

Yeah but there's plenty of examples of players who will stay for other reasons despite could get more money if they walk.
Depends on how much it is, most players will have a price unless they cannot see a GF win in the near future. It wasn't that long ago Peatling was openly saying he was wanting to stay.

Also, we've had two years of consecutive finals losses. Players seemed to want to stay last year but two in a row might flick things around.
With at least three leaving us this off season with in theory another top four finish realistic next year I wonder if something is not right with the club culture.
Most players went from saying how much they loved it not that long ago, wonder if things may be a bit intense at the club wanting a top finals/GF finish and win?

We also seem to be locking in/building around certain players, I mean, we locked in Binga till 2031 and Taylor till 2032 this year. Would be interesting to know the rationale behind some of the list management decisions.

Last edited:
Depends on how much it is, most players will have a price unless they cannot see a GF win in the near future. It wasn't that long ago Peatling was openly saying he was wanting to stay.

Also, we've had two years of consecutive finals losses. Players seemed to want to stay last year but two in a row might flick things around.

Most players went from saying how much they loved it not that long ago, wonder if things may be a bit intense at the club wanting a top finals/GF finish and win?

We also seem to be locking in/building around certain players, I mean, we locked in Binga till 2031 and Taylor till 2032 this year. Would be interesting to know the rationale behind some of the list management decisions.
Well if you're right about the finals motivation then why the Crows is a good choice I have no idea.

There was a missed opportunity last year to bring in some mature talent, it also cost the club this year because they went backwards. When at the top you have to add that bit of extra mature talent to win a flag and last off season was more compelling for players to come, because the giants were flag favourites and that's a carrot to a lot of players.

I honestly don't think the cost of living is that big of an issue for player retention, it's simply players wanting to play in front of the big crowds and be in the limelight (in saying that if the bloody swans didn't try to always get a lick of the ice cream too with things like cola when they don't need it, the giants would be set with a few things like that to help, at least till they become a destination club too. Giants and suns being expansion clubs should get advantages, but the swans and lions trying to get in on the party ruins it for them). That won't happen for a while yet unfortunately. The giants should get the n.t academy off the suns who have a production line up there on the gc, plus it will help them connect with the w.s indigenous community, the biggest in the country, the club should be pushing for this.

I think the areas of need are:
  • midfield depth and some mature grunt in there.
  • more forward threats to help out Hogan.
  • a back up ruck to help briggs.
  • the backline is pretty good, although ideally you'd upgrade on ash.

Now the one thing is, this year more than any other, clubs are trying to force decent players out to create cap space. I dunno why they aren't looking at Kennedy from Carlton, a former giant, hard as a cats head, kicks goals and in the right age bracket to strengthen the midfield. A guy like fiorini would be a good winger in a good side. Stringer is the type of guy that if he has a purple patch, he could win the team a flag and he can go into centre bounces to change momentum with brute force. He is lazy defensively though, so the only issue is if he fits into the system. Finding another 40 a year goal kicker is tough though, I think he'd do well out of the limelight.

So there will be more names pop up, but McCartney needs to get proactive and stop sitting on his hands, get in mature talent, guys that are ostracized due to their salary or not getting to play in their best position coz of depth at their club, or even some mature state league players that could plug holes.

I don't like the idea of yet again going to the draft and waiting years, they need to thicken the soup right now with mature bodied role players to have a genuine tilt next year (something they should have done last off season but wasted a year).
I think we trade up for 12, apparently that pick of the Gold coast ( via bulldogs) is coveted as the elite talent is thought to stretch to 13 picks or so ( that 13 doesn't include ashcroft, Lombard).
I just hope we don't trade 19,20,25 for it ) , I.e compo for peatlong, perryman, cumming.
That pick 12 would want to be a hell of a good player.
McCartney in my view likes a bit of the spotlight come trade week, he might just do it.

I saw someone mention Brayden Fiorini somewhere. He's certainly one that I'd be happy to grab. Yes he has his limitations - one being that he needs to play the inside mid role - but I'd see him taking Peatling's place in the squad, so on the fringe of the first grade team, but much more likely to be able to break into the Giants team than he would the Suns' team in 2025 and also likely to play a reasonable amount of games when injuries take their toll.

I would think it likely that any pick we got for Peatling could be flipped to pay for Fiorini, so a future 2nd from Adelaide probably works for Gold Coast as they want to stockpile picks for their 2025 academy crop.

Dev Robertson the other one in a similar style of player - but we only need one.

Not sure what I'd make of the Dylan Shiel suggestions. Firstly, I really doubt that he'd want to leave Melbourne now and return to Sydney.

Not really ;)

View attachment 2130416
Fiorini is a turnover king

No point winning it if you just give it back

And yet Josh Battle is reportedly leaving st kilda for Hawthorn for less money.
St Kilda were basically pushing him out the door until it turned out he might not be generating a first round pick. St Kilda upped their offer, Hawthorn said nah we're good, Battle probably figured he'd already made his call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the money like I said before. He could be getting one or two hundred thousand more and for an extra season, it would be ridiculous not to take it.

It's the money like I said before. He could be getting one or two hundred thousand more and for an extra season, it would be ridiculous not to take it.

Not sure why Adelaide would want a player like Peatling. Effort is exceptional but his skills are average at best.

Fiorini is a turnover king

No point winning it if you just give it back
Arguably, so are Green, Peatling and Cogs. And Shiel.

The truth is, at this point in time, we're not getting a top line player to come in ... we're trying to get someone to replace those outgoing so we don't have to turn to a far less experienced kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back