List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We have to trade a player we have developed and want to keep to get a player who is 30+ that his team wants to get rid of?

Yeah, tell em they’re dreaming. These are separate matters. If Stone goes they need to find a selection.
Indeed …. There’s no unlocking the trade with Stone …. That’s an uninformed take

We are probably posturing to get a good deal, but we should let Derksen go. I agree with holding XO, but given after 2.5 years Wade hasn’t even made his debut with us, it does seem petty of our club to hold on to him.

GIANTS HOLD FIRM ON DERKSEN

GREATER Western Sydney continues to reiterate it will not trade Wade Derksen after knocking back Melbourne's initial advances for the contracted tall.

The Demons and the Giants have spoken on Derksen's future this week, with Melbourne tossing around proposals for a potential trade. But those ideas were instantly rejected, with GWS remaining steadfast that the 23-year-old will stay in Sydney next season.

As revealed by AFL.com.au back in September, Derksen has requested a trade to Melbourne despite being contracted at the Giants for 2025.

The Giants have remained adamant throughout the process that they wish to retain Derksen, having already lost free agents Harry Perryman (Collingwood) and Isaac Cumming (Adelaide) to start the player movement window.

James Peatling has also rejected a contract offer at the Giants and requested a trade to Adelaide, while Conor Stone (Essendon) and Xavier O'Halloran (Western Bulldogs) are other Giants to have attracted interest from rival clubs.

Derksen, a 194cm mid-season pickup, is yet to debut at AFL level but has shown plenty of promise and versatility as a tall forward and defender in the VFL, while he has also shown his potential as a mobile ruck option. – Riley Beveridge

We are probably posturing to get a good deal, but we should let Derksen go. I agree with holding XO, but given after 2.5 years Wade hasn’t even made his debut with us, it does seem petty of our club to hold on to him.

GIANTS HOLD FIRM ON DERKSEN

GREATER Western Sydney continues to reiterate it will not trade Wade Derksen after knocking back Melbourne's initial advances for the contracted tall.

The Demons and the Giants have spoken on Derksen's future this week, with Melbourne tossing around proposals for a potential trade. But those ideas were instantly rejected, with GWS remaining steadfast that the 23-year-old will stay in Sydney next season.

As revealed by AFL.com.au back in September, Derksen has requested a trade to Melbourne despite being contracted at the Giants for 2025.

The Giants have remained adamant throughout the process that they wish to retain Derksen, having already lost free agents Harry Perryman (Collingwood) and Isaac Cumming (Adelaide) to start the player movement window.

James Peatling has also rejected a contract offer at the Giants and requested a trade to Adelaide, while Conor Stone (Essendon) and Xavier O'Halloran (Western Bulldogs) are other Giants to have attracted interest from rival clubs.

Derksen, a 194cm mid-season pickup, is yet to debut at AFL level but has shown plenty of promise and versatility as a tall forward and defender in the VFL, while he has also shown his potential as a mobile ruck option. – Riley Beveridge

Mate we can’t get rid of everyone ….

Mate we can’t get rid of everyone ….
Spot on. We have already got a heap of players leaving. If we let too many go we will have zero depth and be badly exposed with a few injuries.

XO, Derksen and Stone should all be staying. Stone in particular as there is now an opening for him in the back 7 with Pez leaving. Stone was next up according to Kingas

Lol brad Johnson is the saltiest man in football, still upset that stringer left the bulldogs. Trust me, I was sitting on the boundary line one game and the way he treated his own teammates doesn't match his public 'good guy' persona at all.

From an Essendon perspective, I dunno why they'd give up stringer for a pick in the 50s. What's the point? It's a nothing junk pick with no points value, they may as well have him and his 40 goal season ability sitting as back up if they wanna change the forward mix, as he's only on 450k anyway.

Last edited:
Lol brad Johnson is the saltiest man in football, still upset that stringer left the bulldogs. Trust me, I was sitting on the boundary line one game and the way he treated his own teammates doesn't match his public 'good guy' persona at all.

From an Essendon perspective, I dunno why they'd give up stringer for a pick in the 50s. What's the point? It's a nothing junk pick with no points value, they may as well have him and his 40 goal season ability sitting as back up if they wanna change the forward mix, as he's only in 450k anyway.
This is how you dump a guy without dumping him

This is how you dump a guy without dumping him

Yeah maybe they are worried if he's on the list, he's too good not to play and it's too tempting to select him. I think his downfall at Essendon is that Langford, caddy and Perkins are also that medium tall height and they wanna fit some more smalls in to help with forward pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back