Remove this Banner Ad

What results are you looking at ??
Bedford 8th (young mid). Will improve
Callaghan 11th (young mid) Will improve
Briggs 13th (young ruck) Will improve
Kelly 14th Should have a better run with injuries
Peatling 16th Departed for $$
Coniglio 18th Played much of the season with one arm

Do agree that the mids needs to improve but i think they all have the scope to do this. Personally would love to add Shiel in this mix.
Sorry i meant to write that this factored in there placing per games played .Dlanod posted it belew b@f results in Kevin Sheedy Medal section.Bottom line is the players mentioned need to have a better year next year if we are to win the premiership in 2025..Yeah i didnt include Snooze as for some reason i didnt think of him as,a pure mid but he clearly plays an important midfield role.My bad....With Leake i have high hopes for him but i must admit i was surprised when he walked past me at a game later in the year at how lean he looked in the upper body .Rowston for that reason may be well ahead of him at this stage.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. However, I would say the stats don't back that up (IMHO). And the decision on the team list for finals indicates the coaches held a different view too. So, you are definitely leading the charge at Pamplona!

View attachment 2138403
View attachment 2138402
View attachment 2138401
The stats aren't apples and apples, they are playing different roles.
Most would agree with you, I'm the outlier, but I think that McMullen has more impact with his touches and takes better options. He is not as defensively sound as Peatling at this stage which is why he was preferred.

Just looking at our best and fairest results.So apart from Tom Green who had a great year Kelly was 10th..Calaghan 13, Cogs was 18th,Briggs 19th and Peatling who is now gone 20th i think.Ohalloran way down the list.All these mids need to improve if we are to win a premiership.Compare this to Brisbane who had 4 mids in there top 7.

While Rowston hopefully plays some good games and,Leake shows something we cant rely on them In 2025.Bit like with Ward because of his age.To me Shiel is the one even if it means giving up pick 37 which is probably overs for him at an overs contract am.Thenhopefully get a couple of pure mids in the draft somehow.Maybe a mature ager as well in the draft if any in the know would recommend we draft?..A Mannagh type would be handly with a late pick.
At the very least some young mids put pressure on the older players. They can also play as the sub.

The stats aren't apples and apples, they are playing different roles.
Most would agree with you, I'm the outlier, but I think that McMullen has more impact with his touches and takes better options. He is not as defensively sound as Peatling at this stage which is why he was preferred.
Muff just has to keep building his tank.

Friends with Jake Stringer apparently

Not sure if it's worth reading into it too much but interesting anyway

Although the 3 leaving in Perryman, Cumming and Peatling is disappointing the compensation for the 2 free agents is good work by the club to push up the contracts offered by the Pies and the Crows and just hoping to get 2 okish picks for Peatling. Crows F2 and the combo of pick swaps between this year and next years draft although not sure what it would look like. If #53 is for Stringer and then #56 points for Logan Smith (could be split for points with either the Crows or Bombers). Although this will depend on who from the top 20 the club is looking to draft and just having a guess but I like the sound of Bo Allan and Tobie Travaglia although the club may need to move up the draft order which may not be possible and the other name mentioned Xavier Lindsay so hopefully the club picks a player with the skills for the back half of the ground after losing Perryman and Cumming. Although with all the talk of this years draft being deeper and more talented than next year the club could have an option of using a pick from 2025 to move up the draft although most clubs would likely make you pay overs with talk of next year #15 being #25 this year or something along those lines but plenty of time until draft night

Good to see Stone signed on after 4 years at the club he should have the opportunity to hold a place in the 23 and with a more mature body hopefully the strength to match it with experienced players

I’m pretty sure this is what the prolonged background checking is all about
Stringer has 4 kids. I assume they stay in Melbourne. That to me is a concern, I guess he needs the money.
But I think Kingsley is capable of making a good decision, hopefully he gets his way on this whatever that is.

Last edited:
So, the Peatling trade seems to be in the weeds of later pick swaps. I guess that both clubs are looking at points required for potential bids on father/son & academy kids (Welsh for Crows, Smith for us). Both won't be bid on until 30s/40s most likely, so it's just around each club trying to conserve maximum points.

Stringer probably hinges on two things, his background (character) checks, and then his price. Bombers essentially want to move him on, but now want to maximise their return. Partly that will be them looking at maximising points for their own NGA kid (Kako). I can't see #37 coming into play for him (alone, perhaps if Shiel was in the mix too), but I do wonder if we are going hard for Crows' #46 to give a slightly higher number of points to Bombers.

All of those later picks will come earlier in the order when Brisbane match a bid on Ashcroft (which I presume will be early, at #2 or #3) and then Marshall. They'll also come in when Suns match a bid on Lombard, but that probably has less impact on the draft order. When you factor those in, giving one of #53 or #56 back to Adelaide probably doesn't really hurt us too much, as one pick alone (once it moves earlier) still covers a bid around the late 30s.

With a bit yet to play out - including whether we're still trying to land Dylan Shiel - I can see the jostling continue until late in the trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although the 3 leaving in Perryman, Cumming and Peatling is disappointing the compensation for the 2 free agents is good work by the club to push up the contracts offered by the Pies and the Crows and just hoping to get 2 okish picks for Peatling. Crows F2 and the combo of pick swaps between this year and next years draft although not sure what it would look like. If #53 is for Stringer and then #56 points for Logan Smith (could be split for points with either the Crows or Bombers). Although this will depend on who from the top 20 the club is looking to draft and just having a guess but I like the sound of Bo Allan and Tobie Travaglia although the club may need to move up the draft order which may not be possible and the other name mentioned Xavier Lindsay so hopefully the club picks a player with the skills for the back half of the ground after losing Perryman and Cumming. Although with all the talk of this years draft being deeper and more talented than next year the club could have an option of using a pick from 2025 to move up the draft although most clubs would likely make you pay overs with talk of next year #15 being #25 this year or something along those lines but plenty of time until draft night

Good to see Stone signed on after 4 years at the club he should have the opportunity to hold a place in the 23 and with a more mature body hopefully the strength to match it with experienced players
I think we can just use our draft picks as they are, no need to trade up as too expensive.
Makes us younger, gets our list in better shape longer term to offset the eventual end of the careers/ decline of those who debuted in 2012-2014, as sad as that will be.
Another option is to trade 15 or 16, Melbourne's F1 is available for 13 so we could consider that.

Last edited:
Another option is to trade 15 or 16, Melbourne's F1 is available for 13 so we could consider that.
Depending on where we see our list, and whether we get Stringer and a Shiel/Robertson, that's definitely an option.

I'm similarly wary of trading a lot to move earlier ... the draft is even in that second half of the first round into early second round.

Depending on where we see our list, and whether we get Stringer and a Shiel/Robertson, that's definitely an option.

I'm similarly wary of trading a lot to move earlier ... the draft is even in that second half of the first round into early second round.
Agree, especially given 6 of our best 22 being 30 or older next season as well as Tasmania coming in soon. So as far as I'm concerned we need more picks in this draft not less.

I think more Nick Hinds acquaintance rather than a friend. Having said that, I am cooling on Stringer.
I am actually wondering if we could get pick 6 for 15, 2025r1 from Gold Coast.

I’m pretty sure this is what the prolonged background checking is all about
Yeah exactly and i was surprised Hind was delisted so quickly and this would have played a part in that decision..Its why the Giants have always held the upper hand in negotiations and even been reported we want bombers to pay some of his wage.I wouldnt be suprised if we dont take the risk on him but the gambler in me wants hi
I think more Nick Hinds acquaintance rather than a friend. Having said that, I am cooling on Stringer.
Suns need pick 6 to trade for Rioli

I doubt Suns sell #6 at this point - think it is central to their Dan Rioli trade. And they want/need him for his experience.

Looking at the list picks, we're actually in a position that we haven't been in too many times, where we can't maximise our use of list spots/draft picks to advantage. And really there's no-one we'd delist with an intent to re-select in the rookie draft to create an extra spot.

If we do grab Stringer, we'll have 4 ML spots, and if we don't let Derksen go, 3 RL spots. So, we can only take 4 picks to the draft, and unless we trade out one into 2025 + a late 2024 pick, we'll only have one pick to match a bid on Logan Smith. If we add Shiel or Robertson, the list spots/picks situation is even tighter.

So, yeah, trading one into 2025 would not surprise me one bit; would give some flexibility with matching Smith, plus some flexibility to consider a late draftee (and there's sure to be some late gems this year! given the talent pool). One of our first rounders for Melbourne's 2025 first rounder might be a goer.

The other possibility is that we let XOH go late. That could be a possibility especially if we were to pick up Shiel, to keep the list spots with just a touch of flex.

GREATER Western Sydney has met with St Kilda defender Ben Paton as the Giants survey their options for ready-to-go recruits.
With the club losing experience during this year's trade and free agency periods, the Giants have been looking at players as possible delisted rookie selections. Paton played four games this season, for a total of 71 at the Saints across seven seasons with the club as a small defender.

I doubt Suns sell #6 at this point - think it is central to their Dan Rioli trade. And they want/need him for his experience.

Looking at the list picks, we're actually in a position that we haven't been in too many times, where we can't maximise our use of list spots/draft picks to advantage. And really there's no-one we'd delist with an intent to re-select in the rookie draft to create an extra spot.

If we do grab Stringer, we'll have 4 ML spots, and if we don't let Derksen go, 3 RL spots. So, we can only take 4 picks to the draft, and unless we trade out one into 2025 + a late 2024 pick, we'll only have one pick to match a bid on Logan Smith. If we add Shiel or Robertson, the list spots/picks situation is even tighter.

So, yeah, trading one into 2025 would not surprise me one bit; would give some flexibility with matching Smith, plus some flexibility to consider a late draftee (and there's sure to be some late gems this year! given the talent pool). One of our first rounders for Melbourne's 2025 first rounder might be a goer.

The other possibility is that we let XOH go late. That could be a possibility especially if we were to pick up Shiel, to keep the list spots with just a touch of flex.
If that's the case with list spots, I think we should only take one player, not two.
We can perhaps trade 21, 2025r2 for a 2025r1 with somebody.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back