Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

You believe that Collingwood should rest players purely to magically invent an appropriate game for major milestones for essentially promotional reasons.

Nearly everything the AFL does is for promotional reasons? It’s all about balancing the promotional priorities.

(The only thing the AFL does that isn’t for promotional reasons is determine the outcome of games - but some conspiracy theorists would question even that)

Reading that Daicos update, I still remain steadfast that we shouldn’t risk him

I’d bring in Reef and De Mattia and make Reef the sub
Our midfield cupboard will be bare. Daicos, Pendles, Degoey and Mitchell missing! If you read that two months ago you wouldn't bother turning up. Sullivan, Crispy and Mcrae would have a huge task. If Nick misses we are going to have a battle on our hands come Sunday.

Here's a wild idea.. play Nick Daicos as the sub... freshen him up for the 2nd half of the year but also he'll be able to tear North apart in the 2nd half.

A Nick Daicos in the harbor is safe. But that's not what a Nick Daicos is for.
Thank you.
This is how I feel every time someone suggests we should rest player X just in case.

Let the medical and fitness staff decide if it’s a risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only everyone were as risk-averse as you, master of hindsight

"hindsight"

Sure mate

That's why I literally said at the time that it felt early to be bringing him back

"hindsight"

I said "It seems odd that one second Fly was intimating that this could be on the path to OP, but then the next minute we're playing him". But yeah...hindsight lol

Here's a wild idea.. play Nick Daicos as the sub... freshen him up for the 2nd half of the year but also he'll be able to tear North apart in the 2nd half.

I wouldn't be opposed to this as a compromise and if we see we don't need him (and no injuries occur) then don't bring him on

"hindsight"

Sure mate

That's why I literally said at the time that it felt early to be bringing him back

"hindsight"

I said "It seems odd that one second Fly was intimating that this could be on the path to OP, but then the next minute we're playing him". But yeah...hindsight lol

Do you actually believe that your vibe based return to play ideas are a better way to go than the medical screening and return to play protocols that the club uses?

Do you actually believe that your vibe based return to play ideas are a better way to go than the medical screening and return to play protocols that the club uses?

Generally? Of course not

But sometimes I think supporters have an issue where they believe the club is infallible despite so much evidence to the contrary disguised behind posts like Apex's earlier "the same one that won a flag?"

Yeah? Melbourne's medical team won a flag too and they sent Petracca back out there lol. Like, these people are human. They're not robots. They make mistakes. We also know coaches/docs do dodgy shit. You'd be naive to think otherwise. Only need to look at Ken Hinkley for that.

But once in a blue moon gut instinct can be spot on and when you have a club like ours with a long history of small injuries turning into long term injuries and only DAYS before alluding to the possibility of De Goey suffering from OP, how does he then play that next weekend?

Seems fairly logical to me to think it was too early for him to come back?

Mihocek did his 21 days and I guess they made the call to play him ON day 21 rather than go the cautious route and let him skip one more game. That can go either way I guess and given that he played half a game with a hamstring strain they probably thought he was more durable than the average player.

Generally? Of course not

But sometimes I think supporters have an issue where they believe the club is infallible despite so much evidence to the contrary disguised behind posts like Apex's earlier "the same one that won a flag?"

Yeah? Melbourne's medical team won a flag too and they sent Petracca back out there lol. Like, these people are human. They're not robots. They make mistakes. We also know coaches/docs do dodgy shit. You'd be naive to think otherwise. Only need to look at Ken Hinkley for that.

But once in a blue moon gut instinct can be spot on and when you have a club like ours with a long history of small injuries turning into long term injuries and only DAYS before alluding to the possibility of De Goey suffering from OP, how does he then play that next weekend?

Seems fairly logical to me to think it was too early for him to come back?

Mihocek did his 21 days and I guess they made the call to play him ON day 21 rather than go the cautious route and let him skip one more game. That can go either way I guess and given that he played half a game with a hamstring strain they probably thought he was more durable than the average player.
Back in the day it was always recommended that you miss 3 weeks or 21 days and you play on the 4th week. Playing on day 21 always comes with risk. Maybe the better conditioning of players allows for a return on day 21 but it's always a risk, as it turned out to be for Mihocek. The conservative option is to miss 3 weeks. Mihocek will now miss 4 weeks. It might just be me living in the past though

I'd suggest that it comes down to different expectations of medical science. Some seem to expect them to always get the perfect outcome. Others understand that sometimes things go undiagnosed and that different bodies recover differently, as well as different players being more aware and open about discomfort and pain. Not to mention how fine a line it is between getting them fit enough to play the modern high pressure game and not overloading them.

Personally, I think the evidence suggests that our fitness guys are outstanding, but I expect the odd player to repeat an injury - always have and always will - as it's a fine line if you're trying to maximise performance.

Last edited:
The same ones that brought Mihocek and De Goey back early?

cool beans
Let's go with your expert knowledge instead.

I'd like to hear about your qualifications and experience (apart from wearing the GD bib).

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back