Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

We only win because he doesn't wear merchandise.. 😆

Let's go with your expert knowledge instead.

I'd like to hear about your qualifications and experience (apart from wearing the GD bib).
I passed year 10 biology, so that qualifies me but I had ulterior motives as I was obsessed with the female body

Generally? Of course not

But sometimes I think supporters have an issue where they believe the club is infallible despite so much evidence to the contrary disguised behind posts like Apex's earlier "the same one that won a flag?"

Yeah? Melbourne's medical team won a flag too and they sent Petracca back out there lol. Like, these people are human. They're not robots. They make mistakes. We also know coaches/docs do dodgy shit. You'd be naive to think otherwise. Only need to look at Ken Hinkley for that.

But once in a blue moon gut instinct can be spot on and when you have a club like ours with a long history of small injuries turning into long term injuries and only DAYS before alluding to the possibility of De Goey suffering from OP, how does he then play that next weekend?

Seems fairly logical to me to think it was too early for him to come back?

Mihocek did his 21 days and I guess they made the call to play him ON day 21 rather than go the cautious route and let him skip one more game. That can go either way I guess and given that he played half a game with a hamstring strain they probably thought he was more durable than the average player.
Gut feel?

Jeez, if the club paid attention to your "gut feel" last year they would have packed up the joint on gone on September holidays with one less flag in the bag.

So a week or two following the bye we'll have all of those 4 mentioned above in. How do you change the squad? I'd go with the below.

OUT: Dean - Macrae - Bytel - Markov
IN: Mihocek - Pendlebury - De Goey - Richards

FB: Howe - Frampton - Maynard
HB: Quaynor - Moore - Noble
C: J. Daicos - Pendlebury - Sidebottom
HF: Richards - Mihocek - Hill
FF: Schultz - Kreuger - De Goey
FOLL: Cameron - N. Daicos - Crisp
INT: Harrison - Lipinski - Hoskin-Elliott - McCreery
SUB: Sullivan

I like that team a lot
IMG_0354.gif

Generally? Of course not

But sometimes I think supporters have an issue where they believe the club is infallible despite so much evidence to the contrary disguised behind posts like Apex's earlier "the same one that won a flag?"

Yeah? Melbourne's medical team won a flag too and they sent Petracca back out there lol. Like, these people are human. They're not robots. They make mistakes. We also know coaches/docs do dodgy shit. You'd be naive to think otherwise. Only need to look at Ken Hinkley for that.

But once in a blue moon gut instinct can be spot on and when you have a club like ours with a long history of small injuries turning into long term injuries and only DAYS before alluding to the possibility of De Goey suffering from OP, how does he then play that next weekend?

Mihocek did his 21 days and I guess they made the call to play him ON day 21 rather than go the cautious route and let him skip one more game. That can go either way I guess and given that he played half a game with a hamstring strain they probably thought he was more durable than the average player.
This from the same clown who talks about lucky coffee cups and not wearing his "club merch" to keep a winning string alive.

It would be a bit amusing if you were trying to be amusing. But I sense you are not.

of course Melbournes medical staff and coaching staff made a monumental blunder. The facts are there for all to see. It was obvious even on the tv that he was suffering some kind of internal damage over and above busted ribs. Even the Collingwood players were advising him to get off the ground. ( pretty sure I heard a commentator actually criticise Collingwood for not targeting him to make it worse… but that’s another story)

Of course the AFL don’t want to go down that rabbit hole, who knows where the game will end up.

Mihocek did his 21 days and I guess they made the call to play him ON day 21 rather than go the cautious route and let him skip one more game.
It’s an interesting conversation topic.

You normally miss 3 weeks with a low grade hamstring, but if testing indicates his power is back to baseline, do you bring him back when he hits that benchmark, or when he’s waited out the time agreed upon by convention?

And what is that convention based upon? Trial and error over a long period, when perhaps rehab techniques were less advanced and maybe the game being played was almost irreconcilable with what they’re doing now?

So if Mihocek’s hamstring power is back to normal and he returns to play, and re-injures, is that an indication that the conventional time out is a better guide, or that perhaps in testing muscle power under fatigue we’re not testing the right thing? Or just back luck? Too small a sample size? And as a strength and conditioning department, how do you set yourself apart from the next guys if you’re not getting players back out there ASAP?

Many things to consider. But I would imagine and I hope that we’re going off research and objective measures, rather than rules of thumb.

I'd like to hear about your qualifications and experience (apart from wearing the GD bib).
Experts have been known to be wrong or perhaps despite testing the player out rely too much on how the player says they feel?

From what I had heard, JDG was going to be out longer so was surprised when he played.

Experts have been known to be wrong or perhaps despite testing the player out rely too much on how the player says they feel?

From what I had heard, JDG was going to be out longer so was surprised when he played.
I'm not sure why you directed that at me?

My point is that Cousin of Daicos is not an expert (at anything other than hand wringing, revisionism and playing Goal Defence). His gut feel and eternal anxiety is not cutting it.

"hindsight"

Sure mate

That's why I literally said at the time that it felt early to be bringing him back

"hindsight"

I said "It seems odd that one second Fly was intimating that this could be on the path to OP, but then the next minute we're playing him". But yeah...hindsight lol
You were wrong to do so at the time. Mihocek was out for the appropriate length of time, and De Goey suffered a different injury.

Great to see Checkers and Degoey are a chance to play against the Gold Coast in three bloody weeks' time! Surely Checkers hammy will be right after a five week break.
Nah some numpty here will bitch and whine that our highly paid professionals got it wrong again and bought him back to early, they reckon he should be ok in 2026 tho ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Risk further damage?

Risk it getting hit again?

Risk him winding up out longer term like what happened to Mihocek and De Goey?
Can you please explain what the damage is to his shin?

Generally? Of course not

Can you please share the evidence?

This from the same clown who talks about lucky coffee cups and not wearing his "club merch" to keep a winning string alive.

It would be a bit amusing if you were trying to be amusing. But I sense you are not.

Life's not that serious

Get the stick out of your ass and smile every now and again. It's not all that bad.

Well...in this particular case if they did? Mihocek and De Goey would be playing right now...

Well...in this particular case if they did? Mihocek and De Goey would be playing right now...
You are claiming that an extra week would have made a difference, but have presented no evidence to support.

You are claiming that an extra week would have made a difference, but have presented no evidence to support.

So given that 21 days is the standard for a hamstring and Mihocek played on the 21st day, had we gone cautious and waited one more week you don't think he would have been fine?

I mean, if that's the case why bring him back at all? Since even 2 months might not be enough amirite?

I mentioned earlier that Mihocek they obviously decided to make the call to play him given he had done the standard 21 days which happened to fall on match day. Understandable but still probably should have gone the cautious route.

So given that 21 days is the standard for a hamstring and Mihocek played on the 21st day, had we gone cautious and waited one more week you don't think he would have been fine?

I mean, if that's the case why bring him back at all? Since even 2 months might not be enough amirite?

I mentioned earlier that Mihocek they obviously decided to make the call to play him given he had done the standard 21 days which happened to fall on match day. Understandable but still probably should have gone the cautious route.
It’s already been explained to you that Mihocek passed his strength and benchmark tests. That’s the gold standard as it currently exists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back