Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

the longer this went on, you had a bad feeling this is the road it was leading to...

Poor josh.
No good outcome comes from going to the panel.
Being in the protocols that long after several concussions in a very small window is not good at all.

I'm still getting over drafting two in the first round one year...
Are you talking about Scharenberg and Freeman?

Because I believe that Freeman had never had a hamstring injury in his life until the final pre-season game after we drafted him, and then they subsequently cruelled his whole career.

Can't blame the club for drafting a risky one when he had the first instance of that injury AFTER we drafted him.

Are you talking about Scharenberg and Freeman?

Because I believe that Freeman had never had a hamstring injury in his life until the final pre-season game after we drafted him, and then they subsequently cruelled his whole career.

Can't blame the club for drafting a risky one when he had the first instance of that injury AFTER we drafted him.
I was, yes, and my understanding was that Freeman DID have hammie issues as a junior, - though none as serious as the ones after drafting.
BTW, I don't remember blaming the club in my post.

Some would definitely be challenging to do sideways.
oven looking in GIF

Why weren't players suffering from concussion side effects for months back in the 70's and 80's? If they were suffering but played anyway, they must have shown impressive form on field to stay in the team. I have no recollection of players like Ronnie Wearmouth who was knocked out quite a few times missing weeks due to ongoing issues related to his brain.

I fully respect the fact that we take precautions and place the player's health ahead of the game but I am genuine in my question. Does anyone know of a player from that era who has now confessed he played with severe headaches or other related issues after a concussion?

Why weren't players suffering from concussion side effects for months back in the 70's and 80's? If they were suffering but played anyway, they must have shown impressive form on field to stay in the team. I have no recollection of players like Ronnie Wearmouth who was knocked out quite a few times missing weeks due to ongoing issues related to his brain.

I fully respect the fact that we take precautions and place the player's health ahead of the game but I am genuine in my question. Does anyone know of a player from that era who has now confessed he played with severe headaches or other related issues after a concussion?
I'm sure there were plenty of players that played concussed.
It just wasn't monitored back then, which is why, down the track, things like what happened to Spud Frawley started going on.

Aren't there dozens of players from years past coming forward with issues?

I'm sure there were plenty of players that played concussed.
It just wasn't monitored back then, which is why, down the track, things like what happened to Spud Frawley started going on.
I'm sure they did, hell, they even returned as Jordan Lewis did, after being carried off unconscious on a stretcher. But surely their form would be terrible if the side effects were occurring. Sluggish reaction time. speed, decision making, and basic co-ordination would all be affected. You'd think they'd be dropped for that reason alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I'm not saying they didn't get concussed. I'm wondering how they played on through a season carrying the symptoms as some of our modern players seem badly effected for months and simply don't play any footy at all. Carmichael must have had such high hopes that night when he kicked two tremendous goals in our famous after the siren victory against Essendon. It's so sad.

Yes there are and there are several including guys like Sean Smith who do say that they had headaches etc.

Most of the players who have joined these actions we haven’t yet heard from. I’m going to assume that they are going to claim similar things.

Players no doubt were suffering concussion symptoms back then. They didn't know what they all were at the time.

Plenty of players from that era will now tell you how they can't remember playing out the game, along with other symptoms they experienced during the weeks, months & now years later.

If you got knocked out back then, you just brushed yourself off & continued. They didn't get tested afterwards for any continued symptoms anyway, because no one bothered &/or didn't know.

I can't imagine many players from back then would have notified anyone at the club that they had headaches during the week, couldn't sleep, were sleeping too much, forgetting things, not able to concentrate, dizziness..

Players from the 70's & 80's didnt have brains

I recall players getting knocked out and not being right to play the following week. I assume it was because most of the acute symptoms had not resolved like piercing headaches, loss of balance etc.

However, when they could run around without major issues they were declared fit. The good players were probably still good enough to keep playing well. However, there were other ill- effects not picked up and treated like depression, sleep issues, concentration etc. No-one knew about them.

I’m sure we are going to hear stories about players who will allege their careers were cut short.

I recall players getting knocked out and not being right to play the following week. I assume it was because most of the acute symptoms had not resolved like piercing headaches, loss of balance etc.

However, when they could run around without major issues they were declared fit. The good players were probably still good enough to keep playing well. However, there were other ill- effects not picked up and treated like depression, sleep issues, concentration etc. No-one knew about them.

I’m sure we are going to hear stories about players who will allege their careers were cut short.
And we only need to look at players who have retired recently.. Murphy, Brayshaw etc..they were all still playing high quality football despite having to retire due to repeated concussions.

And the legal shitfight that is brewing with all this has me worried for the games future

Yep. I'm not saying they didn't get concussed. I'm wondering how they played on through a season carrying the symptoms as some of our modern players seem badly effected for months and simply don't play any footy at all.
Not all effects of concussion are easily identified without advanced testing methods.

Also, players back then were lauded for their toughness, playing through severe blows to the head. If you shut your mouth and got to the next contest you were an inspiration to your teammates. Which is why commentators have been coached now to talk of concern for players suffering head traumas rather than speaking of bravery.

Yep. I'm not saying they didn't get concussed. I'm wondering how they played on through a season carrying the symptoms as some of our modern players seem badly effected for months and simply don't play any footy at all. Carmichael must have had such high hopes that night when he kicked two tremendous goals in our famous after the siren victory against Essendon. It's so sad.

The current guys could go out and play a game of footy. Murphy would still be a very good player, as would Brayshaw and Macartin. In the past they would have played through it. If it affected their footy they would just have been out of form. No one thought there were potential long term consequences, so they played through concussion symptoms.

Last edited:

The only 2 times that I was actually diagnosed to have concussion was when my nose got broken and I actually took myself to the doctor. My eyes were able to open sufficiently to get through final training and I played the following weekend. It’s funny but it’s only now that I realise that my lifelong migraine attacks commenced at around 13 years of age ( and put down to puberty). By then I had also been knocked at least twice. During junior footy years there were more than a couple of times that I was revived on the field with smelling salt and after being helped to my feet and being given some time to get my bearings I was sent back into the play. That was the way it was in the early 70s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back