List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is that he was an inexperienced bargain basement pickup from Austin's old club. He wasn't exactly highly rated there. I'd say Austin had something to do with him being drafted originally.

We are not exactly spending draft currency to pick up known quality. Young looked good in a side that was not contending. When we start contending, he couldn't go with us. We saw this last year. Not his fault that Young has fallen in a hole after one good year. We can't sit on our hands hoping he finds that form again though.

Austin went public and said Young was drafted for backup. That good form he showed for a number of weeks cursed us for years and has blocked trading for a reliable key defender.

Austin went public and said Young was drafted for backup. That good form he showed for a number of weeks cursed us for years and has blocked trading for a reliable key defender.

2 games in 2 and a half years for Sam Durdin and he got injured in each of those games. And Marchbank who has 63 games across a 10 year career, and he missed 2 full seasons in amongst that. 15 games in the last 5 seasons. We can't say we didn't know.

We still could have developed viable KPD regardless of his presence on the list - he, Durdin or similar could have helped prevent a developing being thrown to the wolves.
Due to neglecting to develop someone, we've reached the point where we'd essentially need a plug'n'play option at a time where we have less assets & available cap space to work with & a raw prospect would not address our immediate needs so we find ourselves in a slightly tricky situation.
Without wishing to be too negative, I've felt that our LM strategy has been slightly reactionary.

Not just endurance outside run. Cottrell, Ollie and Elijah all racked up plenty of miles tonight ... but none of it goes anywhere in terms of winning a game. Outside pace is what we need, and a little bit of inside burst as well.

Our issue is that we are committed to the twins, an inside mid with average pace who can also go outside, and a half back who can play outside mid but also not express. That's our draft done.

Then all of our money is tied up in two key forwards, two midfielders, a full back and a ruckman still looking to get paid, so even if we had the draft capital to get some quality pace from another side, we can't afford to pay them.

We are in a bit of a spot here.
Although we are committed to the Campo's l don't see either making a point of difference to our list either.

We should be using our 1st pick on a quick midfielder, l would also be looking at ways to find another early pick in this draft
We have plenty of endurance running midfielders but no genuine quickness, we must now address this as we are being found out now.

Cunners , Marchbank I've been a great fan and have waited in hope
Thanks, but we are done

S Durdin also Thanks but done

Martin gets another year for me, he has massive upside amd X factor

Young not the Young that soldiered through when Bot was done

And Kempy, good but not a back man
I would trade

We need our sexton or Deano, we have our gun Bot but noone else. GOV is great interceptor

And we need a fast mid

Warner like

This list is for Santa

Itā€™s starting to feel like it is all over before it even really begun.

The list just doesnā€™t feel like ā€œthe listā€ to deliver a genuine premiership tilt.

The stars are stars, but they are all paid like it. Leaves nothing but crumbs for anyone else. No doubt Weitering and TDK will have their hands out expecting superstar contracts given we seem to be the club happy to hand them out. List balance is a foreign concept.

Persisted with Cunningham, Martin and Marchbank for years too long at the expense of developing some kids to come through. Traded picks for players. We now have the worst youth in the competition. And itā€™s not even close. I used to like watching our VFL side to see the kids coming throughā€¦ these days thereā€™s nothing to look at.

Our only hope from here is to top up with a few part players via trades and free agency, and for a good run of health come September. Although we had good health last year and still choked.

The blueshakes are real. Itā€™s one step forward, two steps back at Carlton. And the minute you start to have any resemblance of hope this football club finds the first possible opportunity to crush your spirit and bring you straight back to earth.

Enjoy the next three seasons, because the age profile of our list suggests another painfully long rebuild commences in 2028.

Iā€™m as big a fan of Cuningham and Marchbank as anyone but sadly, their time has come.

The hard part is you canā€™t just confidently draft players who are injury proof. We picked Carroll last year and he has been injured for the whole season.

Durdin had apparently resolved his body issues with consistent SANFL form and then immediately falls apart when we draft him.

We trade for Hollands who has his ACL history and he has been super fit and reliable thus far. Docherty is as professional a footballer as youā€™d find and heā€™s done his knee three times.

One can hope we finally get some luck with these issues next season.

Oh, and Iā€™ve mentioned before, if the Campo boys arenā€™t a list need, donā€™t take them. Thereā€™s too many other good players who could find a role and make our side better in this yearā€™s draft to indulge in sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While JSos has been out, theyā€™ve had an opportunity to try Kemp as the 3rd tall fwdā€¦havenā€™t tried it.
Iā€™m dumbfounded but what would I know
Hasnā€™t been tried elsewhere because he has been the only game in town as 2nd MOBILE KPD. Other than peak Marchbank, our other key defensive options are too slow to work with Weitering.

Even though I'm still pissed off from last night, talk of a full rebuild is a bit over the top. If we traded up for a 2nd first round pick we could have a team like this going into 2027/2028 in the post Cripps era. More than enough talent to continue to compete with Curnow, McKay, Weiters etc getting into their 30s

Boyd Weitering T.Travaglia
Wilson ????? Cowan
Binns C.Walker O.Hollands
Fogarty McKay E.Hollands
Motlop Curnow Durdin
Dekoning Walsh Cerra

X.Lindsay Kennedy Kemp B.Camporeale

Small forwards still look diabolical to me, Motlop would be close to the slowest mercurial indigenous small forward the games ever seen. Durdin is lost as a player ATM and Fog, while a fantastic role player, is fairly limited overall.

Elijah looks to be developing at a rate of knots. His core strength has improved off the charts this year, hoping Ollie can be similar in the next couple of years and be able to stand up in tackles and attack the contest better.

Is it time to go all in on Tom Barrass???
Absolutelyā€¦

But how do you fit him into the cap and what trade capital do we have to trade for him?

Dogs and hawks reportedly offering huge $$$ and dogs have multiple first round picks to use (with Bailey Smith)..

Lots of chat on other pages stating we are cooked this year and we have lost our mojo and that 2025 will be better, but Iā€™m wondering, why will 2025 be any different?

All the talk after our prelim loss last year was that we were shot, too tired and this year would be our year.

So what did Austin do last trade period to get us to take the next step? He traded out Fisher and Dow, brought in Hollands, then we didnā€™t take a pick in the draft until 28.

I like Hollands but did he address an area of need? Did drafting Moir address a pressing need? Did trading Fish leave our depth exposed?

If people think we are going to magically come out next year and not have the same issues, they will be in for a rude shock, a lot of our players arenā€™t getting any better.

Austin needs to do something at the end of the year, something thatā€™s going to actually improve the squad.

Collingwood won a GF after trading two of their top 6 players, everything should be on the table

Lots of chat on other pages stating we are cooked this year and we have lost our mojo and that 2025 will be better, but Iā€™m wondering, why will 2025 be any different?

All the talk after our prelim loss last year was that we were shot, too tired and this year would be our year.

So what did Austin do last trade period to get us to take the next step? He traded out Fisher and Dow, brought in Hollands, then we didnā€™t take a pick in the draft until 28.

I like Hollands but did he address an area of need? Did drafting Moir address a pressing need? Did trading Fish leave our depth exposed?

If people think we are going to magically come out next year and not have the same issues, they will be in for a rude shock, a lot of our players arenā€™t getting any better.

Austin needs to do something at the end of the year, something thatā€™s going to actually improve the squad.

Collingwood won a GF after trading two of their top 6 players, everything should be on the table
Our lack of youth and the kids pushing for selection is a real concern. Have we had any debutants this year? Development needs to be questioned.

Our list is poor. I have said it all year. Our Top 22-25 is very good but we fall away badly after that

LOOK at the numbers are they are scary. IMO this is the basis of our problems

We have used 34 players this year and this includes Docherty, Cuningham, Marchbank, S.Durdin, C.Durdin, Young, Martin that have played bugger all. Even Collignwood have used 40 and debuted 6 players from their Premiership year. Several clubs have used 38-40 players plus

Not including Docherty & Jack we have a number of players

Lemmey
O'Keefe
Akuei
Wilson
Monahan
Binns
Moir
Mirkov
M.Carroll
Lord (mid season)

that are on our list that are either not ready or not up to it. That is way too many. Either way that is a very unbalanced list especially when we carry so many injury prone players

On top of this players like Walsh, Cerra, Weitering are having to play underdone or not close to 100% fit

We have also not had ONE debutant for us unless you include Elijah & Fantasia

That means we are trying to get through a season (and win a flag) with around 30-32 players. This is ridiculous

IMO this is a our biggest issue and could cost us a flag

We are going to waste the prime of the best collection of star players in the league if we donā€™t address the holes in our list this off-season.

Any player with a body that has proven it canā€™t withstand the rigours of a full season should be moved on. Any player that doesnā€™t have the faith of the MC should be moved on.

Our list is poor. I have said it all year. Our Top 22-25 is very good but we fall away badly after that

LOOK at the numbers are they are scary. IMO this is the basis of our problems

We have used 34 players this year and this includes Docherty, Cuningham, Marchbank, S.Durdin, C.Durdin, Young, Martin that have played bugger all. Even Collignwood have used 40 and debuted 6 players from their Premiership year. Several clubs have used 38-40 players plus

Not including Docherty & Jack we have a number of players

Lemmey
O'Keefe
Akuei
Wilson
Monahan
Binns
Moir
Mirkov
M.Carroll
Lord (mid season)

that are on our list that are either not ready or not up to it. That is way too many. Either way that is a very unbalanced list especially when we carry so many injury prone players

On top of this players like Walsh, Cerra, Weitering are having to play underdone or not close to 100% fit

We have also not had ONE debutant for us unless you include Elijah & Fantasia

That means we are trying to get through a season (and win a flag) with around 30-32 players. This is ridiculous

IMO this is a our biggest issue and could cost us a flag

Yeah, fair shout. You need a good squad of 30 to win a flag imo - 30 players genuinely capable at AFL level, with 31-44 players group as break-glass depth.

I think the reason our 25-44 bracket are average is because it seems our VFL program is still rubbish - which is just unacceptable considering how rubbish it's been for so long. It's the VFL team for Carlton! That's a dead set dream for kids who have missed the draft, local guns wanting a VFL spot, or delisted AFL players wanting to remain in the system - how we can't get this program right is a disgrace - it's in the heart of Melbourne at a famous club & ground ffs.

Anyway, requests for off-season:

1. KPD - nothing on the market though which is concerning. Weitering needs help & McGovern is only good for intercepting.

2. Midfielder - a nimble type, not necessarily speedy but able to weave through traffic with fast feet.

3. Some goddamn promising kids and solid role players who can get us VFL results and push the standards of our AFL squad.

I'm open to trading, too. Nobody is off the table except Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Weitering & De Koning.

Over the past 3 years we have drafted

Moir
Wilson
Hollands
Cowan
Binns
Lemmey
Motlop
Akuei

None are locks but there is some possibles. None are exactly stand outs

O'Keefe, Boyd, Cincotta as SSP/Mid season picks

We have brought in Cerra Hewett Elijah Acres which IMO have been good deals

The other issue is there isn't much KPP's in that group

Itā€™s so hard to get list balance when our top 10 players get paid so much itā€™s not funny ā€¦. I feel the 2 hardest positions to fill and every team wants is a speedy burst mid and a kpdā€¦ we donā€™t have the salary cap space to go get one and drafting one doesnā€™t help us win a premiership next year.
I donā€™t think our list is that bad ā€¦ this list has the capabilities to win 2024 premiership ā€¦ we just need a bit of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back