List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said beginning 2023 our list is not good enough to win a flag. Between injury prone "B" graders (Mcgovern,Martin, Cunners) the 1 dimensional "C" graders (cincotta) and the not good enough "D"graders, a premiership is beyond us.

This might be controversial but Austin's recruiting is over hyped. The players he has brought in are not that good. How many players, he recruited, last night contributed? My issue with Austin's cohort is there are a lot of plodders. Take Jordan Boyd. Great pick up, best 22 but he is a "C"grader. Which draftees have delivered after 4 seasons? Is it too early to judge a small forward like durdin? I think Austin thought he could pad the list, out. It is time to get aggressive and trade up the draft order or clear cap space and target the right free agent.

Last edited:
Young - not up to it. Move on.

Fantasia - cooked and offers nothing. Has been given a sufficient amount of time of 7 games to adapt and perform. Output very poor. Move on.

Durdin - interrupted development but these next 2 years are make or break. Not seizing his opportunities while the small forwards with better pressure and output (Fog and Mots) are out.

Cuningham, Marchbank, Martin - a question of list management as to whether they are prepared to carry players that will only get up for 13-15 games a season. List spots at a premium. Martin is the most important to the structure out of that group and Marchbank has the most horrid run with injuries.

Williams - granted the injury that kept him out of 2023 but not seeing return on investment in the same way as we are seeing from Gov. He’s had an uninterrupted pre season and games this year to date have been underwhelming. Was really expecting him to fill Saad’s shoes but hasn’t hit the mark. Need a lot more out of him.

From yesterday’s game alone, Young and Fantastia should be relegated to VFL until further notice.

Desperately need players with pace all over the ground
Spot on. This has been obvious for awhile. Saad and Gov do this for our backline so will be fine there imo.
It’s the midfield that’s the worry, very one paced and a very hard problem to solve unless you have a lot of salary cap room. What Doc brought to the team off a wing and the midfield is so underrated.
Forward line on paper with Cottrell, Cuningham and Durdin doesn’t look too bad for pace but just lacks talent.

Every team in the league wants quick midfielders so it’s going to be bloody tough problem to solve. We wouldn’t have the cap space for a Bailey Smith type so good luck fixing the issue over the off-season.

Desperately need players with pace all over the ground
We've been desperate for pace for at least 2 years now. Never addressed it.
Don't think the list manager or Voss sees this as a problem.

Should have prioritised getting small speedy players first than getting Elijah Hollands.

I said beginning 2023 our list is not good enough to win a flag. Between injury prone "B" graders (Mcgovern,Martin, Cunners) the 1 dimensional "C" graders (cincotta) and the not good enough "D"graders, a premiership is beyond us.

This might be controversial but Austin's recruiting is over hyped. The players he has brought in are not that good. How many players, he recruited, last night contributed? My issue with Austin's cohort is there are a lot of plodders. Take Jordan Boyd. Great pick up, best 22 but he is a "C"grader. Which draftees have delivered after 4 seasons? Is it to early to judge a small forward like durdin? I think Austin thought he could pad the list, out. It is time to get aggressive and trade up the draft order or clear cap space and target the right free agent.
He has only had one pick inside of 27 so you would only expect roll players imo.

We have Sam Durdin.

He's a much stronger bodied defender than Young.

What exactly do we lose by giving him a go over Young?

The issue with Sam Durdin is he just hasn’t played any football. 3 weeks since his last game. Also barely played last year.

I agree with your sentiments on Young - he is a “break glass” option - but sadly we have had no choice but to play Young.

Obviously Gov and/or Marchy would be picked ahead of Young. Kemp is too small to play KPD. Hell I’d prefer SOS to play KPD ahead of Young.

We have to get a competent second KPD, maybe a cheap option like Ben Miller or pay the premium and get Jeremy McGovern.

He’s had plenty of time on the sidelines due to injury. He and Motlop are the keepers of our current small forwards.
Motlop is a fair way in front of Durdin.
Like others l would have waited till later in the season to further assess before a 2 year extension was offered.
Opposition teams are loving us playing three small ineffective smalls almost every week.

Cuningham, Marchbank, Martin - a question of list management as to whether they are prepared to carry players that will only get up for 13-15 games a season. List spots at a premium. Martin is the most important to the structure out of that group and Marchbank has the most horrid run with injuries.
If i had to make the hard choice at years end Martin would be the only one I'd keep. Maybe put Marchbank on the Rookie List because he is a quality defender who just can't get on the park.

Cunningham after 8 years with the club really hasn't improved on the small glimpses he's shown over the years. I'm sure injuries played a big part in that, but at least Marchbank when he's on the field has shown consistency & quality.

Unfortunately we need to be harsh with these calls otherwise we will not improve and be a top 4 club challenging for the premiership.

Also, if the rumour I read on another board is true about Charlie Cameron being shopped around by his management, I hope that Carlton are looking into a way to make it happen.

Obviously taking the rumour with a grain of salt, but he is the quality we are missing in our forward line that would tie it all together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What risks has Austin taken to trade up?
Gotta give up a bit to trade up.

I get that people are annoyed after the past month of football but Austin has done a decent job based off what he has had at hand. The problems we are seeing in field aren’t Austin’s fault.

I think we had 8 or 9 best 23 out last night and the pies had 3 or 4. We are doing pretty good not to be getting pumped by 10 goals with having the amount out we do

I get that people are annoyed after the past month of football but Austin has done a decent job based off what he has had at hand. The problems we are seeing in field aren’t Austin’s fault.

I think we had 8 or 9 best 23 out last night and the pies had 3 or 4. We are doing pretty good not to be getting pumped by 10 goals with having the amount out we do
Austin is ok but needs to take some risks to trade in top end draft and trade talent to win a flag. We might need to trade out to capture the talent. Time to risk

Not sure l would say 8-9 ,out when we know every year 3-4 of those are going to miss a large portion that now is a consistent pattern.
How many games really are we going to get out of Marchbank & Martin & McGovern and Cunningham each year.
We had pretty much our best 6-8 players out there last night, we were very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back