List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of these names and the possibility of recruiting a young up and coming defender are pretty slim, we supposedly have low $$$$ and limited draft capital.

I would be looking at the 28 year olds and over, players at a club who is down the bottom and looking to rebuild or a player looking at chasing another premiership.

Brian Lake types, Dylan Grimes types, JGov types, at the same time as drafting two of our own.
While I can certainly see the lack of draft capital as an issue, if we have money to offer a FA we have precisely that money to offer a prospective trade target.

I want DGB, purely because his size predicates him towards playing second fiddle. If we go bigger we risk the mobility of our back half declining, and a huge reason why we're so good at rebounding the ball is because all members of that back half with the exception of Jacob are not slow lumbering types. Boyd and Saad are quick, and so are Kemp and Gov; Gov's pace is straight line where Kemp's a bit more agile. Matchups become easier as a consequence.

I also don't think he'd be on all that much. If he were in Hawthorn's plans he'd be in the 22. A lifeline might make a world of difference.

I’m not sure about his junior days but I don’t think kemp is going to make it as a backman.

We need to change things around.

Kemp has good leap and an attacking mindset. One wing is up for grabs imo. If not wing try him up front.

I think kemp is a keep but maybe a role change is needed.
Midfielder/power half forward. The Heeney-Stringer-Petracca-Rayner role.

It's genuinely bothered me watching Kemp being forced to play so deep within himself, as though playing with both hands shackled behind him. It's like what we did to SPS by sending him to half back; what pace there was in his game disappeared, and with it his kicking penetration and his confidence in his disposal. He's got a hell of a leap, he's manoeuvrable in the contest, and he's got good straight line pace. Given the opportunity, he could absolutely be a matchwinner up forward.

I get why they've done what they've done, and I don't think they'll change things up now. It's just very frustrating.

The thing with a second big defender is they have to be really athletic as a lot of sides don't have that second big forward. That is the modern CHB. It's by Durdin and Young don't fit into that mould as they are full backs only. Getting someone who has the ability to intercept mark and has the ability to run and is really mobile is tricky. There are times they will have to play on small and medium forwards. The coaches have had Marchbank penciled into this role for years going back to Bolton. It's just that he has never been able to stay fit and build his form and body up. Last year he did it in finals but he's been MIA again.

If we can find one great. But if not we need to make sure we don't end up with another player not up to it or is only a full back like Young. CHB is a very different athlete and skillset.

As for Kemp, he's fine as a backman but he is not a fullback. We keep playing him there. I'd like to see him trialled as a winger. I think defensive wingman would suite him down to the ground, has all the right attributes.

I think we need to move a few on and pull out all stops to get Mac Andrew.
Super talented and would compliment Weiters perfectly. McGovern is great at intercept and breaking lines but he is no defender.
Next 1M a season player apparently reading some articles over w/e. Long way out of reach unfortunately.

Young isn't the perfect player but whenever he plays the entire backline goes to water and it's not just from his direct opponent getting off the chain, it's like none of them have a clue where they're meant to be. Id say it's a chemistry issue more than anything.
He's erratic and unpredictable to his teammates. Players need to play more conservatively because they can't rely on him. Completely destabilises our defence.

The thing with a second big defender is they have to be really athletic as a lot of sides don't have that second big forward. That is the modern CHB. It's by Durdin and Young don't fit into that mould as they are full backs only. Getting someone who has the ability to intercept mark and has the ability to run and is really mobile is tricky. There are times they will have to play on small and medium forwards. The coaches have had Marchbank penciled into this role for years going back to Bolton. It's just that he has never been able to stay fit and build his form and body up. Last year he did it in finals but he's been MIA again.

If we can find one great. But if not we need to make sure we don't end up with another player not up to it or is only a full back like Young. CHB is a very different athlete and skillset.

As for Kemp, he's fine as a backman but he is not a fullback. We keep playing him there. I'd like to see him trialled as a winger. I think defensive wingman would suite him down to the ground, has all the right attributes.
So whenever weits goes down we’re exposed?

What’s the solution for us?

Marchy can’t be relied upon with body not holding up

So it’s kemp or gov ….

Wonder why we didn’t put gov on hogan when weits was down?

Just an update on Christian Mardini has been playing with the Knights for the last 3-4 weeks (after returning from a shoulder injury) has been in ripping form and had another great game on the weekend playing key position back …
Also thoughts are with Knights coach Anthony Rocca🙏

Just an update on Christian Mardini has been playing with the Knights for the last 3-4 weeks (after returning from a shoulder injury) has been in ripping form and had another great game on the weekend playing key position back …
Also thoughts are with Knights coach Anthony Rocca …🙏
Great numbers last weekend from a key position defender in a losing side.

1720404176775.png

You'd hope that our recruiters are keeping a close eye on him, as well as others who missed out being selected in last year's draft. Sometimes these kids just need an extra year at U18 or at state league to blossom, like Cooper Lord.

By memory Mardini is on our VFL list, so it'd be great to see him get an opportunity at some stage. Also, we haven't heard anything more about Michael Rudd after listing him. Oliver Poole got his opportunity with us earlier this year and looked good.

If we're burning early draft picks this year for the Campo's, we may need to look laterally to get some value late in the draft. Someone like a Mardini could be worth looking at - 19yo, 197cm key defender.

Also thoughts are with Knights coach Anthony Rocca …🙏
Excellent, have been waiting on Mardini to return. Is VFL listed with us. Has an excellent profile. If he steps up would be the perfect “cheap” project type.

While I can certainly see the lack of draft capital as an issue, if we have money to offer a FA we have precisely that money to offer a prospective trade target.

I want DGB, purely because his size predicates him towards playing second fiddle. If we go bigger we risk the mobility of our back half declining, and a huge reason why we're so good at rebounding the ball is because all members of that back half with the exception of Jacob are not slow lumbering types. Boyd and Saad are quick, and so are Kemp and Gov; Gov's pace is straight line where Kemp's a bit more agile. Matchups become easier as a consequence.

I also don't think he'd be on all that much. If he were in Hawthorn's plans he'd be in the 22. A lifeline might make a world of difference.

I have concerns about going after a player who is struggling to get a game against a bottom club who is desperate for key position players.
My biggest knock on Young is his lack of aggression in the air and on the ground, i see DGB as quite similar, he has really struggled with the step up in physicality.

I have been a fan of Blicavs for ages and Kolodjashni from Geelong would be good pick ups, Blicavs especially as he can play various roles.

I have concerns about going after a player who is struggling to get a game against a bottom club who is desperate for key position players.
My biggest knock on Young is his lack of aggression in the air and on the ground, i see DGB as quite similar, he has really struggled with the step up in physicality.

I have been a fan of Blicavs for ages and Kolodjashni from Geelong would be good pick ups, Blicavs especially as he can play various roles.
I've suggested Blicavs before too. About the only issue I have is, he's played his entire career surrounded by mature ball readers and onfield coaches; he's not an instinctive footballer.

How's he going to go without the net?

DGB is more a third tall stylistically & there appears to be some issues with his running capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Ben Campo is bid on after our 1st and tbh, this year I’d trade our future 1st if we could get in another 1st before the bid also to really try and bring in as much quality asap.

A player like Darcy Jones from GWS is the type I think we need to bring some speed and X factor to our midfield and front half along with a key back.

Really hope Ben Campo slows down a bit to guarantee he is not selected in the 1st round
The draft guru Cal twomey reckons Ben will be bid on in the 2nd round.

I've suggested Blicavs before too. About the only issue I have is, he's played his entire career surrounded by mature ball readers and onfield coaches; he's not an instinctive footballer.

How's he going to go without the net?

Do you need to be that instinctive to play full back or take the teams second biggest forward? We have a lot of experience down back and in the middle for him, our side isn’t young anymore. Im not sure he has played as a genuine key defender much, as his weapon is his run, maybe Kolodjashni would suit us better.

Do you need to be that instinctive to play full back or take the teams second biggest forward? We have a lot of experience down back and in the middle for him, our side isn’t young anymore. Im not sure he has played as a genuine key defender much, as his weapon is his run, maybe Kolodjashni would suit us better.
Full back, yes.
As the last man in defence, you often have to read play, track runners & help position your team-mates, to have another sound defensive mind back there certainly wouldn't hurt.

Mardini and Liam McMahon, would be good rookie pick ups if they got there…
I like McMahon, but not much more than depth. We should have JSOS back next year and Lemmey, as well as O’Keeffe more developed. Still likely to have option of TDK forward and Pitto rucking.

A lot of water to go under the bridge for Mardini, but some good signs. We have a couple of months to assess him. Hopefully Lemmey continues to develop at both ends of the ground.

Our biggest short term hassle is how fragile our tall defence can be Kemp has one hell of an ask for an undersized young KPP to carry the load, particularly when Weitering is not at optimum. We all love Weiters, but he is one who struggles to carry knocks, nit in his make up. The dynamic faltered with Kemp asked to do the heavy lifting on a rampant Hogan while Jacob was “distracted” detracting structurally behind an underperforming midfield.

Unless Young, Nigel or Marchy steps up big time, we are somewhat vulnerable in our 2024 flag campaign.

I like McMahon, but not much more than depth. We should have JSOS back next year and Lemmey, as well as O’Keeffe more developed. Still likely to have option of TDK forward and Pitto rucking.

A lot of water to go under the bridge for Mardini, but some good signs. We have a couple of months to assess him. Hopefully Lemmey continues to develop at both ends of the ground.

Our biggest short term hassle is how fragile our tall defence can be Kemp has one hell of an ask for an undersized young KPP to carry the load, particularly when Weitering is not at optimum. We all love Weiters, but he is one who struggles to carry knocks, nit in his make up. The dynamic faltered with Kemp asked to do the heavy lifting on a rampant Hogan while Jacob was “distracted” detracting structurally behind an underperforming midfield.

Unless Young, Nigel or Marchy steps up big time, we are somewhat vulnerable in our 2024 flag campaign.
May be delusional or playing favourites …

However still think Marchbank has a role to play this year…

Where is this talk coming from that Kemp is a wingman?

Was a backman all his junior career with stints forward and some rotations at centre bounces

A forward? Completely agree he should be trialed and developed as a 3rd tall forward. Don't believe he has the attributes to play on a wing
I'm happy for him to stay down back as a 3rd tall but we have just GOT to get another KPD to help out Weiters.

May be delusional or playing favourites …

However still think Marchbank has a role to play this year…
After the GWS game, absolutely. Just whether he can stay on the park, but given the alternatives, I think he needs to come back in. TBH I think Boyd needs to come out for a spell, or we move McGovern forward, but that would cost us some run.

IMO, Kemp should either be trialled as a third tall fwd which is a long shot but still worth trying or be groomed to replace Newman. Potentially an understudy to Mcgovern but im not overly excited by that due to his lack of body/leg strength in defending.

Kemp needs to be bigger than his opponent physically. Not smaller. Cant hold his feet in those scenarios. Great when he can get free run and jump only. As a Newman replacement he can run off his opponent in high ball situations and leap at the pack. His best strength. I'm guessing he could replace Newmans metres gained and possession count. Would have to be faster than Newman over 5-30 metres.

Kemp is almost being destroyed by the club's lack of a second defensive player. Mcgovern is our preferred interceptor and rebounder so Kemp is being forced into lock down.

IMO, Kemp should either be trialled as a third tall fwd which is a long shot but still worth trying or be groomed to replace Newman. Potentially an understudy to Mcgovern but im not overly excited by that due to his lack of body/leg strength in defending.

Kemp needs to be bigger than his opponent physically. Not smaller. Cant hold his feet in those scenarios. Great when he can get free run and jump only. As a Newman replacement he can run off his opponent in high ball situations and leap at the pack. His best strength. I'm guessing he could replace Newmans metres gained and possession count. Would have to be faster than Newman over 5-30 metres.

Kemp is almost being destroyed by the club's lack of a second defensive player. Mcgovern is our preferred interceptor and rebounder so Kemp is being forced into lock down.
And herein lies the problem. He's not a lock down defender. He is however, punching well above his weight and doing pretty well, but it's a big ask. McGovern is absolutely rubbish at one-on-one stuff but provides good intercept and run. Saad is a lock for a small and his line breaking ability, so we're left with the choice of Boyd or Newy to be sacrificed for a KPD. I think McGovern, Newy & Saad provide enough run and unfortunately Boyd hasn't given us anything as a point of difference. I think (at least in the short term) Marchy comes in and Boyd goes to Sub.

Ed langdon still hasn't signed with Melbourne. I know it's a dream and we couldn't afford it but imagine acres on one wing and langdon on the other 😍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back