List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with Doc and JSOS back next season you role the dice with Martin. Marchbank and Cuningham are sadly done.
We canā€™t replace Martin so even if he doesnā€™t play imo we lose nothing by keeping him on our list.
We lose money by keeping him and a list spot.

He canā€™t play anymore than a few games a year and is getting older.

Itā€™s time this club made some big calls and removing chronically injured players needs to happen and there should be no ifs nor buts.

I think with Doc and JSOS back next season you role the dice with Martin. Marchbank and Cuningham are sadly done.
We canā€™t replace Martin so even if he doesnā€™t play imo we lose nothing by keeping him on our list.

We certainly can.

Just about anyone can replace him.

I'm sorry but, star factor and potential mean nothing if you are rarely there to show it.

We need solid and consistent contributors. Not fragile season cameos.

Three words.

COMPLETE

BACKLINE

OVERHAUL.
Backline let in 12 goals from 51 entries. I think most of us would take that!

The backline need help from our midfield and our midfield doesnā€™t bat deep enough no matter how good people think it is. Win the ball in the middle, go forward with it. Or get back fast to help out the defence. Itā€™s simple tasks really.

Backline is the least of our worries. Forwards arenā€™t working hard enough and to get 1 goal tonight from Curnow and Harry combined is really woeful. Matched up on the over hyped Moore, 34 year old Howe and Frampton. Yep thatā€™s right dud Frampton.

Ruck with Pitto is just and the midfield is to slow and doesnā€™t have enough tricks.

We certainly can.

Just about anyone can replace him.

I'm sorry but, star factor and potential mean nothing if you are rarely there to show it.

We need solid and consistent contributors. Not fragile season cameos.
And where are you going to find them? Are they on our list? Or do you have a trade target we should be trading for????

Geez Dan Houston or Miles Bergman would be a great get this off season!

And as for the others:

Marchbank, Cuningham and even Sam Durdin.

I've lost my patience.

They need to understand their bodies are simply NOT UP TO IT anymore. We can blame the S&C team all we like but that has already changed once or twice since both players first came on the list. The perenially injured players haven't.

Every year, you just know they'll be spending an extended time on the sidelines for something. You're just waiting on it to happen.

We keep saying it is bad luck. But I am starting to realise it really isn't. Footy wears the body down. It destroys/degenerates it after the footy career. Some suffer this way quicker than others. Cuningham and Marchbank fall in this bracket.

Last edited:
And where are you going to find them? Are they on our list? Or do you have a trade target we should be trading for????
We donā€™t need to trade like for like. Give me any forward that leads up and can run through the midfield while playing 22 games instead of someone who is constantly injured and has 2 or so moments a game in their 3 or 4 games a year anytime.

We lose money by keeping him and a list spot.

He canā€™t play anymore than a few games a year and is getting older.

Itā€™s time this club made some big calls and removing chronically injured players needs to happen and there should be no ifs nor buts.
List spots imo is a non issue after Durdin, Cuningham and Marchbank leave. For example, Give me Martin over L Campo any day while we are in our window.
Money could be a problem but thatā€™s hard to speculate on.

You can find them anywhere. Not hard to look.

The problem is the list management team make it seem hard.
They are wanting to perform miracles. Feel-good stories. Chase what seems to be a bargain or a steal.

Simple answer is, look for fit players. Little to no injury history. Develop them.
Pick players we need and in the draft where they're expected to be picked. Develop them.

None of this "kid does an ACL and out the rest of the year, but we will draft him and turn him good".

It is this kind of approach that sees us average 10 unavailable players every round for the past 3 to 5 seasons.

Last edited:
Serious question, if we do finish outside of the 8 (think we will sneak in personally but eh)

What happens list management wise?

Obviously you canā€™t sell the farm, but I feel like there has to be changes, and a decent amount of them.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, can we finally address our speed issues?!?

List spots imo is a non issue after Durdin, Cuningham and Marchbank leave. For example, Give me Martin over L Campo any day while we are in our window.
Money could be a problem but thatā€™s hard to speculate on.
It appears the club has had enough of Martin and will not be at the club next year and for good reason. I know we all hoped he would be a star for our club but he just isnā€™t no matter how much people like to sugar coat it.

We donā€™t need to trade like for like. Give me any forward that leads up and can run through the midfield while playing 22 games instead of someone who is constantly injured and has 2 or so moments a game in their 3 or 4 games a year anytime.
I agree but who is that player? Because nearly anyone I can think of is average or would cost a hell of a lot.
Itā€™s easy to say replace them but rarely do I see any realistic replacements mentioned. The alternatives to Martin are usually your Durdin, Owies, Motlop, Cottrell type of players. Iā€™d prefer to take a risk with Martin over another one of those types.

It all depends on Martinā€™s financial demands butā€¦.

Serious question, if we do finish outside of the 8 (think we will sneak in personally but eh)

Obviously you canā€™t sell the farm, but I feel like there has to be changes, and a decent amount of them.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, can we finally address our speed issues?!?
If we don't address our speed issues I will join some of those on here demanding Austin piss off. Selecting good players is great, Hollands, Acres, Hewett etc... but for god sake we need some players that compliment our core and provide some out zip.

It's just like Dodoro, talent ID is solid. Overall list balance is terrible. They have the opposite issue to us though in that they have all the flankers and none of the spine... We have all the spine and none of the flankers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We donā€™t need drastic changes. No one will be retiring this year and we arenā€™t an old playing list.

Can see us trading next years 1st and something else for a player maybe like Bergman. Can also see us taking a player like Conor Stone from gws who is playing extremely well in their 2s and plays as a mid sized forward who can run through the middle.

Rumour floated this week on our board that we may take a small forward in the draft by the name of Jesse Dattoli. Looks quick, and can also play some midfield minutes by all reports. Likes to take the game on. But Iā€™d think he wouldnā€™t be our 1st pick if we did actually have a top 10 pick.

So it could be as simple as adding:
Bergman
Stone
Pick 10
Campos x 2
Dattoli

Giving up:
All of our 2024 and our 1st and 2nd picks for 2025.

Keeps us in the window, adds some quality and a bit more speed. Also focuses on bringing in youth.

I agree but who is that player? Because nearly anyone I can think of is average or would cost a hell of a lot.
Itā€™s easy to say replace them but rarely do I see any realistic replacements mentioned. The alternatives to Martin are usually your Durdin, Owies, Motlop, Cottrell type of players. Iā€™d prefer to take a risk with Martin over another one of those types.

Id sacrifice every one of Owies, Motlop, Durdin, Cottrell, Fantasia and Cuningham in one of those Bohemian Grove blood sacrifices to get Martin fit and healthy for a full season but unfortunately I can't and thus Martin will continue to be made of glass.

The issue isnt that Martins irreplaceable anyway, it's that the rest are absolutely awful. Bobby Hill is the Pies equivalent of Martin but he can actually stay on the park. We need to find our own one somehow

The guy I want is Conor Stone. 189cm forward/mid. 22 years old. Currently carving it up in gwsā€™ 2nds. VIC boy and went at pick 15 in the 2020 draft.

Btw Durdin, Owies and Cottrell donā€™t do it for me and Iā€™d gladly not have them in our best 22. Although Durdin might have a better 2025

It appears the club has had enough of Martin and will not be at the club next year and for good reason. I know we all hoped he would be a star for our club but he just isnā€™t no matter how much people like to sugar coat it.
By the end of the year I think he will have offered more then, Durdin, Cuningham, JSOS, Durdin, Marchbank, Carrol, Carrol, Mirkov, Akuei, Doc, Binns, Monaghan, Lemmey, Lord, Wilson, Mirkov, Young, Oā€™Keeffe and Moir have to the senior side.

By the end of the year I think he will have offered more then, Durdin, Cuningham, JSOS, Durdin, Marchbank, Carrol, Carrol, Mirkov, Akuei, Doc, Binns, Monaghan, Lemmey, Lord, Wilson, Mirkov, Young, Oā€™Keeffe and Moir have to the senior side.
Maybe, but he is older than all of the except Doc at a guess and his body is made of glass

We certainly donā€™t need another 1 million a year player on our list. We would have 7 then and there would be an even greater margin between our best handful and our bottom 6 on game day.
Would the dogs be willing to pay a portion of his salary? They have to fit in English ands there other stars in the salary cap

I donā€™t get the Walsh is a star talk at allā€¦

No power no burst no strength gets HTB a lot and not a good kick ā€¦how is he a star ?

At his best he is a difference maker. We came to life in the last quarter when he started to have a meaningful impact. I think itā€™s fair to say more so than any other player Carlton goes as Walsh does.

I do think he needs help with the mental side of his game. He tries to do too much and often calls for the ball in bad positions resulting in bad possessions. His endeavour and intent however should never be in question IMO.

I think someone made the point he hasnā€™t had a full pre season since 2021 - has he been mismanaged? - so hopefully he can get that in 2024/25, and with a few tweaks, he can be the player we all think he can be.

The guy I want is Conor Stone. 189cm forward/mid. 22 years old. Currently carving it up in gwsā€™ 2nds. VIC boy and went at pick 15 in the 2020 draft.

Btw Durdin, Owies and Cottrell donā€™t do it for me and Iā€™d gladly not have them in our best 22. Although Durdin might have a better 2025
Yeh Iā€™d be happy with him but he is also totally unproven and likely to be offered similar amount of $ as Martin is or possibly more.
This is the reason Iā€™d be keeping Martin. I think itā€™s unlikely we find anyone who will bring what he does to the table and if we do find them then there are plenty of other players who offer less to our list then he does to move on first. Unless he is asking for high $ he isnā€™t keeping anyone out except late draft picks. We should be looking for his replacement while we still have him. If we were chasing Hayward we can afford Stone and Martin.
The salary cap will sort itself out at the end of next season. Looking at the OOC players thatā€™s when big moves will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back