List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap trades, hit the draft hard and look at FA's and state league. We should be able to fill the holes, it's just a matter of whether they'll be high enough quality/come on early enough to impact our results in 2025.
Delist a few and clear some cap space ..Marchy cunners and Martin just have to go for starters.

Plus cap is increasing next year?

Priority #1 = KPD

If we can manage it …

Priority #2 = mid with burst/power/good kicking skills

Priority #3 = small forward with longer term in mind.

The disresct to Walsh here is outstanding.

Big game player. Was Gary Ayres medallist for best finals player less than 12 months ago.

He is an out an out gun.

Has a slump in form and people want to trade him.

He is going to make those doubting him eat their words. The same way Cripps did when people said we should trade him, or he was past his best and become a journeyman.

Walsh is a star. He will be back to his best before long.
You’ll probably find that most people will agree with you, it’s just that those who don’t probably post more about it.

Ignore them, don’t let it get under your skin.

Genuine question?

By saying that, you have Austin in total charge of the list.

I have always said that the most important person at a club, and hence the highest paid, should be the one making the recruiting choices (and his/her team) and not the coach but .........

Where do recruiting decisions start and finish? Leigh Matthews admitted that he had no idea about recruiting but he could certainly coach. Other coaches like Sheedy were far more hands on.

Is there an end of season meeting, of coaches and recruiters, that addresses needs and then tasks Austin to recruit for purpose?
I was lucky enough to spend some time with Craig Bellamy recently.

The topic of recruiting came up. He basically said he left all of the recruiting of kids to be done by the recruitment staff. When it came to targeting players from other teams, he would usually be the first one to ID players he wanted them to target.

Would be interesting to know if it would be like that at most AFL clubs too. You would have to think that would likely be the situation, the coach would know best what he's team needs most immediately

Hewett would have more trade value than Kennedy.

Kennedy is always a UFA after his contracts due to his previous delisting

Hewett is a NFA and can only move via trades and the draft.

Both contracts end in 2025.

Therefore if a club wanted Kennedy they could low ball us this year or get him for free next year without us having the right to match.

Hewett, on the other hand, hasn't got the same level of leverage.
Not true, Hewett is a FA when his contract expires at the end of next year, same as Kennedy.

I was lucky enough to spend some time with Craig Bellamy recently.

The topic of recruiting came up. He basically said he left all of the recruiting of kids to be done by the recruitment staff. When it came to targeting players from other teams, he would usually be the first one to ID players he wanted them to target.

Would be interesting to know if it would be like that at most AFL clubs too. You would have to think that would likely be the situation, the coach would know best what he's team needs most immediately

Not too far off from what family has shared. The amount of work that the coaches would need to do to put into talent recruiting is impossible. They do have conversations with the potential draftees throughout the process but it's more along the lines of identifying any potential issues and concerns, etc. that the player may have with fitting in the group and/or their coachability.

As we've seen the coaches are also usually in the drafting room and do have some say on draft night but it's important that they have a strong level of confidence in the recruiting and list management team.

I wouldn’t be trusting Footywire ;)

Exactly why he's not a free agent:

"Has the player provided 8+ years service to current club and is coming out of contract?"

No.

Free agency not available (Can only move club via trade or the drafts).

Exactly why he's not a free agent:

"Has the player provided 8+ years service to current club and is coming out of contract?"

No.

Free agency not available (Can only move club via trade or the drafts).
Um
A Player who at any time becomes or has previously become a Free Agent will be a Free Agent at the end of each subsequent Standard Playing Contract. Furthermore, they will be considered an Unrestricted Free Agent regardless of their ranking on the Club’s Primary List;

He was NOT a delisted free agent. Therefore that doesn't apply.

It's exactly why Kennedy's situation is like that and Hewett's is not.

That doesn’t mention Delisted Free Agents, it applies to all Free Agents. Once you qualify, you’re a Free Agent for life when out of contract.

I ask you to read the free agency roadmap again

Screenshot_20240808-002837.png

What you're quoting is in the "yes the player has been delisted" section .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ask you to read the free agency roadmap again

View attachment 2071752

What you're quoting is in the "yes the player has been delisted" section .
The ‘Prev Qual FA ON 2019 Club List’ part would appear to apply to all free agents, not just Delisted.

That’s certainly my understanding, I don’t think the flow chart is as clear as it should be though.

In clearer words:
And how about for free agency for life?
Any player who has previously been a free agent automatically becomes a free agent at the end of every ensuing contract. Veteran North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein fitted into this category as soon as he came out of contract which is why he can join Essendon as a free agent.

Edit:
And direct quote from Gil:
“Once somebody has moved under free agency I think it’s just logical they become a free agent and can move on three or four year deals if at 31, they want to move under free agency,” McLachlan told 3AW.

“It’s very rare that it’d be used but I think it’s a logical change.”

Last edited:
Cerra at his best is the better player. Hamstring concerns make it a very interesting question though.

I like Bam Bam more as a fan but I think all coaches would rate Cerra higher
Cannot agree on any level. Cerra is very one dimensional. He is a good on baller and wins a lot of his own ball but Kennedy is stronger, tougher, has better disposal, more adaptable, a better contested mark, and arguably smarter. Speed & Consistency has only ever been my criticism of him, but Cerra is not really any faster, and now his body letting him down impacts on his consistency. Would trade Cerra in a heartbeat but not Kennedy.

Cannot agree on any level. Cerra is very one dimensional. He is a good on baller and wins a lot of his own ball but Kennedy is stronger, tougher, has better disposal, more adaptable, a better contested mark, and arguably smarter. Speed & Consistency has only ever been my criticism of him, but Cerra is not really any faster, and now his body letting him down impacts on his consistency. Would trade Cerra in a heartbeat but not Kennedy.
Cerra in 2023 was our best player for much of the year and was leading the BnF before injury. Seems a few have forgotten how good he was at his best.

I am resigned to not getting mature trades in. We can’t do it all. Somewhere, some how a maturish KPD from up the bush would be a godsend on the rookie list. Thinking we take a short term hit to get some quality kids on the books. Desperately need another key, and we must take at least one shot at a quality running mid and/or forward.

Berry would be a dream, failing him, Xavier Lindsay (would love both) would be a great return with our first.

Non negotiable, I want a young KPD, or at least a swingman type. Happy enough to use a second or third rounder as I consider Clancy Dennis a real option. Love the “romance” of O’Farrell’s family affiliation as well should he be gettable.

Might be as good as a 50/50 that we can get Lucas as a rookie, which would be a big win. Matt Duffy comes in at 194cm or perhaps a little taller now, to be developed as a player off a rookie list.

I am not a fan of Kemp being forced to play second tall defender, but has held up more often than not through the year. If we are forced to play that as our first option for a year or two, it is manageable. We must, however, support him and the other defenders with better two way running and pressure from upfield.

I’m confident we will be active. Recruiting, LM dept been heavily boosted last 2 years. The conservatism of last 2-3 years has put us in a spot to get a lot done. IF we miss finals or go out early I feel it will be accelerated

With our top end talent and Tasmania coming in our time is now to move

I am very confident that on top of campo twins we will add another 3-4 kids and then we will add another 4-5 mature players via FA, trades etc

I see a decent refresh of our list and I have no doubt many in the club including coaches will be pushing for it

I’m confident we will be active. Recruiting, LM dept been heavily boosted last 2 years. The conservatism of last 2-3 years has put us in a spot to get a lot done. IF we miss finals or go out early I feel it will be accelerated

With our top end talent and Tasmania coming in our time is now to move

I am very confident that on top of campo twins we will add another 3-4 kids and then we will add another 4-5 mature players via FA, trades etc

I see a decent refresh of our list and I have no doubt many in the club including coaches will be pushing for it
I hope you are right Soap. We definitely require a refresh. Bite the bullet and get rid of the perennial injured. We can't and shouldn't carry them any more. It's a massive leg rope.

Also if we are bringing players in they should have a relative injury free history and shouldn't be over say 27 years old, preferably younger. Based on this I say no to J McGovern and the like. Pardon the pun but we would be further hamstringing ourselves.

We are quite desperate in areas but we mustn't panic and make further rods for our backs going forward.

Do we think the news of Russell's departure will impact list management decisions at all?

I sincerely hope not. However, I do worry that if we got another high-performance messiah type, the club may want to roll the dice one more time on our injury prone players.

Do we think the news of Russell's departure will impact list management decisions at all?

I sincerely hope not. However, I do worry that if we got another high-performance messiah type, the club may want to roll the dice one more time on our injury prone players.
Russell departing?

Hoping to fix our 3 injury prones is like flogging a dead horse…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back