List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why no interest in Jake Stringer or even Taylor Walker?

I know Stringer would slot in easily, I’m not as sure about Walker as a third tall but i think it’s worth discussing. No idea what type of deal Stringer wants, $$$$ or what he would cost, but Walker would be free and wouldn’t cost much.

Before anyone shoots down the idea of Stringer, he’s a third tall type forward/half forward who averages 1.74 goals a game, over a long career.

Just checked, both are free agents.

I know Stringer would slot in easily, I’m not as sure about Walker as a third tall but i think it’s worth discussing. No idea what type of deal Stringer wants, $$$$ or what he would cost, but Walker would be free and wouldn’t cost much.

Before anyone shoots down the idea of Stringer, he’s a third tall type forward/half forward who averages 1.74 goals a game, over a long career.

One's a grub the other is racist.

If we were of a mind to look past that...Walker I'd half-consider cause I think he has enough pride that he'd want to perform. Stringer is a hard no - he's 31 early next season, he's gonna get a 2 or 3 year deal somewhere to ensure he's got a steady paycheck until his expected retirement, and his professionalism will drop from it's already less than stellar level to abominable.

We are also talking about a List not best 22. You need at least 2 decent KPDs on a List
Mitch McGovern is more than decent and improves our ball movement more than anyone on our list. Kemp is developing ok not outstanding but ok he got torched by Hogan a few weeks ago in a matchup that really should have been weitering.
Marchbank was the right option but unfortunately his body is simply not up to it and will be delisted.

We’ve played our best football over the last 2 years when we’ve gone with a mobile backline Haynes at no draft pick cost for 2 years on a small contract is definitely an improvement on what we have and allows us time to develop a key defender that I assume we will draft this offseason.

If we were of a mind to look past that...Walker I'd half-consider cause I think he has enough pride that he'd want to perform. Stringer is a hard no - he's 31 early next season, he's gonna get a 2 or 3 year deal somewhere to ensure he's got a steady paycheck until his expected retirement, and his professionalism will drop from it's already less than stellar level to abominable.

But that’s just speculation, what is there to come to that conclusion other than the fact you dislike someone?

Stringer has kicked 38 goals this year from 20 games, his performance across his career has been super consistent. There’s nothing to suggest he will drop off at all.

Mitch McGovern is more than decent and improves our ball movement more than anyone on our list. Kemp is developing ok not outstanding but ok he got torched by Hogan a few weeks ago in a matchup that really should have been weitering.
Marchbank was the right option but unfortunately his body is simply not up to it and will be delisted.

We’ve played our best football over the last 2 years when we’ve gone with a mobile backline Haynes at no draft pick cost for 2 years on a small contract is definitely an improvement on what we have and allows us time to develop a key defender that I assume we will draft this offseason.

Maybe but has nothing to do with my comments about improving our "List"

:oops:

Ban-worthy post IMO

Agree but people are making comments we don't need another KPD

I'd happily give consideration to an argument along those lines. I think our backline needs improvement, and a genuine KPD would be a great way to go about it. But as we saw when Young was playing alongside Weiters, it's gotta be the right KPD for the mix to work.

I can certainly see a scenario where we do just fine by sacrificing a little bit of height but for extra experience and craft with just enough height to get by.

Haynes/JSOS, Weitering, Newman
Cowan, McGovern, Saad
I/C: Boyd/Wilson

Kemp ahead of the ball, maybe even with some mid rotations. Gives us an option to swing back at times if we want to spell McGovern or swing JSOS forward or into the ruck.

Ban-worthy post IMO

On what grounds is suggesting a forward who has kicked over 360 goals would be a good fit, be ban worthy.

Im more than happy to listen to others views, but he’s a grub because he cheated on his partner 10 years ago and has crap Tatts doesnt make some one un recruitable.

For what its worth, i dont like him.

But i want players who will contribute to a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe but has nothing to do with my comments about improving our "List"
I think you need to be a little bit more realistic in a salary cap era about what kind of key defender depth we can afford on our list, Young for example is no better or worse than other teams depth such as Joyce, Keath, Tomlinson, Francis, Frampton unfortunately injuries have hurt our side more than most and we’ve had to play our depth.

Hopefully that improves next year with Marchbank and Durdin replaced but I would much rather replace them with agile defenders rather than trying to fit in another slow less mobile option just because they are tall.

On what grounds is suggesting a forward who has kicked over 360 goals would be a good fit, be ban worthy.

Im more than happy to listen to others views, but he’s a grub because he cheated on his partner 10 years ago and has crap Tatts doesnt make some one un recruitable.

For what its worth, i dont like him.

But i want players who will contribute to a flag.
Yeah that’s fair but let’s stay well away from him. I’m not sure I can handle seeing him in a Carlton jumper. Same for walker.

Yeah that’s fair but let’s stay well away from him. I’m not sure I can handle seeing him in a Carlton jumper. Same for walker.

No idea of your age but id like to get peoples thoughts on how they felt when we signed Rhys-Jones? My mates dad used to talk about how he hated him at the Swans but guess what, loved him when he came across.

But that’s just speculation, what is there to come to that conclusion other than the fact you dislike someone?

Stringer has kicked 38 goals this year from 20 games, his performance across his career has been super consistent. There’s nothing to suggest he will drop off at all.

Stringer's two best years on the scoring front (the only two he's averaged 2+ goals) have been contract extension years.

2015 he averages 2.5 goals, earns himself a 3-year extension at the Dogs. Two years later they punt him out the door.
He lands at Essendon in poor shape, on a 4-year deal taking him through to 2021, and never really lives up to the "Package" hype.
2021 rolls around and he suddenly finds some form, averages 2.2 goals a game, earns himself another 3-year deal.
2022 and 2023 his output drops again.
His third best season for average goals....2024, out of contract again. What a surprise.

Reports are he's asking for a 3-year deal to help set him up for life after footy. Would prefer to stay at Essendon but open to moving.

Yes, it's speculation, but it's an educated guess based on his historical form. He spikes whenever he's coming out of contract, then drops away again once he's locked in. This next deal will likely be his last, he'll have no new contract to play for - maybe he realises he could also jag a flag if he pulls his finger out, but it looks to me like he's already got his sight firmly set on whatever comes after footy.

No idea of your age but id like to get peoples thoughts on how they felt when we signed Rhys-Jones? My mates dad used to talk about how he hated him at the Swans but guess what, loved him when he came across.
I’ve been around. Hyphen is much loved. **** I just can’t imagine how those two can be even be considered a comparison.

But I get your point.

Lukosius doesn't have the urgency that dimma prefers, doesn't mean he isn't a viable option

But, he isn't a KPP

Lukosius would be an amazing get as a third-tall type forward for us. Where Charlie likes doubling back towards goal to beat his opponent and Harry likes standing and clunking, Luko likes leading up at the ball carrier. We lack forwards who play like that, it’s often why we bomb kick to contests. He would compliment Harry and Charlie perfectly.

That being said, I wouldn’t be making him a priority target unless we fail to bring in a quality KPD and go the cheaper/stop gap route on that front.

I still don't understand why we're not targeting Harry Edwards. 200cm key defender and only 23 years old also out of contract.

Who says we’re not? I read an article the other day (I forget where) and it said he’s being quite heavily chased and could be the key to unlocking the dominos of trade period this year. We would be negligent if we weren’t sounding him out.

Who says we’re not? I read an article the other day (I forget where) and it said he’s being quite heavily chased and could be the key to unlocking the dominos of trade period this year. We would be negligent if we weren’t sounding him out.
Hope we are. If we're going to delist Marchbank and Durdin we need a KPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back